How much to spend?

noodle_

Visit site
Im after a 14.2+ chunky cob type, 4-10, preferably green as grass (but broken! walk/trot/canter without falling over)

Mare or gelding, any colour! how much approx should I be looking at spending??

Its been a LONG time since ive been horse shopping and it was never ever for a cob... :eek:

Ive looked on some sites and the price varies massively - and i dont want to be ripped off... this decision is head not heart so budget has a massive factor over it....

ideas please?

3Beasties

Visit site
Could be anything from £500 to £4000 IMO depending on breeding, paces, temperament etc!

4-10 is a massive age range, I'd pay more for a green 4 year old then a green 10 year old!

ridefast

Visit site
As you've already said, the prices vary massively! Any reason why it has to be a cob? Cobs also vary massively. Your best bet is just try horses you like the look of and make an offer you can afford. A horse is only worth what someone will pay for it.

noodle_

Visit site
cob type ideally

.but i am very open to suggestions - price dictates overall! (i just have in my head black and white cob)!

i was thinking around the £6-800 mark for a freshly broken in cobby thing but the cob isnt essential i guess...

however i can spend upto £1000 on a green as grass youngster (but absolutely must be broken in and riding away)....

ridefast

Visit site
Black and white cobby types are very popular atm so people are asking more money than say a nondescript bay cobby type, even if it's better conformation, better temperament etc. You can probably get a black and white cobby type for £600 but I doubt it would be of much quality (although some people do get lucky!) You can get some chunky foresters. It's really best to just have your budget, age range, height and what you want it to have done or not done, and forget about the breed and colour.

CobsGalore

Visit site
If it's any help, I paid 1500 for my 14.2 heavyweight cob a couple of years ago. He had just turned 5 and had been broken but needed schooling on. He has the nicest personality and is very safe and bombproof, just needed schooling on. I love him to pieces, he's never going to go round badminton, but I think you can never pay too much for a safe and sensible horse!

noodle_

Visit site

it dosent have to be black and white - sensible cleaning head would dictate it should be black ;) but really open to that - just have to click with the horse really...

budget is more important than colour :)

zigzag

Visit site
If you are after the gypsy cob type, join the various Welsh facebook selling pages you can pick up a cob like that for anything from 50 to 500 lol

pippa p

Visit site
I brought a 5 year newly broken 14.2 cob x for £1200 had the best summer and he turned into a cracking hunter. Brought as a project ,now sold to great home for a profit!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Have you looked on Dragon Driving? Ok, you need to be able to spot a diamond in the rough, but there are some very nice cobs on there for very keen prices. Some of the rarer colours are very expensive, but it doesn't sound like you've got your heart set on a silver dapple, so that's not going to be an issue for you.

noodle_

Visit site
oh forgot about that! friend is dragging us off to beeston soon (god help us)! i do not plan to buy from them as i dont have an instant stable (need a couple of days!)....

willl have a mooch on dragon driving :D i have a fantastic group of friends who a couple are way more experienced than me offered to come with me

i very much feel like crap selling still but not as bad as i did a few hours ago as you lot have made me more positive...so thank you :)

noodle_

Visit site
yeah ideally a good age for me is 5....

i do have a huge soft spot for ex-racers...even though they can sometimes be off their trees, (had one!)...and a pain in the butt to feed etc - but i found a grey one today and fell in love.... bit of a difference from a cob!!

:D