How much was your horse?

Amun

Visit site
Gosh i'm doing something wrong, I paid £800 for my old boy and thought i'd got a bargain but now I need to find these £1 and free arabs out there lol
Clearly paid far too much for the two mares lol
My thoughts exactly! I'm not buying a horse anytime soon but I started to browse websites and I set a budget based on my findings. After this thread? Never! ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hah. I suspect people will mainly post who got a bargain, and others who didn’t pay lower amounts, don’t want to be seen to have overpaid !
this!
I would also say that although most of mine have been super cheap/freebies, that is for a reason, none have been the hop-on-and-go type and there have been some big old complicated projects going on. And some have gone wrong permanently. So it's not a brag, it's, um, a lifestyle ;)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm going to be brave. He was advertised at 15k and I paid 10k (reputable dealer but was in debt and desperate) and in spite of his GP dressage breeding, in the end he was worth about 10p because he was born with kissing spines and a head bashing habit. (Video ratio was wrong, he wasn't that short backed!)

ace120620b.jpg

ace120414b.jpg

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
I think Boggle was about 2.7k excluding transport from Ireland and he's worth nothing now with his medical history, Bear was around 3k I think, bought nearly a year ago. I'd want in the region of 10k to part with him (assuming I get some comps under his belt in the next couple of months).

Asha

Visit site
I bought a horse for £1. Worst pound i ever spent, cost me my confidence. I reckon you have to be a certain type of rider to be able to turn these around.

Bought my old girl Asha for £3.5k that was 17 years ago, Finn was just over £4k and Pip was over £5k. All 3 are true super stars and worth every penny and then some.

Visit site
I probably paid too much for Diva - she was £620 as an unbroken 6yo broodmare- but I was naive, stupidly in love, and didn't ask enough questions. Plus I'd never bought a horse before.
However. A best friend is priceless, as is the experience and knowledge I've gained from my funny spotty beast.

J&S

Visit site
I have spent a maximum of £1,000 on a chestnut mare, Han/TB, I sold her back to her breeder 5 years later for the same money. She was a difficult horse and I felt her breeder might be the best person to deal with her quirks. (sadly wrong there.) My super stars were NF pony for £250.00 back in the early 80's and the coloured mare who I still have cost £800.00, late 90's. My companion pony was super cheap from a closing RS but is also a little star in her own way.

Amun

Visit site
I bought a pregnant mare for 500 so got 2 horses for the price of one....what a bargain!....but now hearing about these 1 quid beauties, im feeling robbed!! ?
Yep nothing in this thread doesn't sound like a bargain if it's above 1p ? but on the other hand, what would you do with 500 horses? So you can still say 500pounds well spent ?

Bernster

Visit site
Most expensive horse I bought was the least suitable - 10k a few years back. Luckily sold on for the same price to a more experienced home so it worked out in the end, minus sales livery and commission.

TGM

Visit site
I love these threads but at the same time I do feel they might create a false perspective for novice horse owners (or prospective horse owners). Most of the 'pound' horses will have some big 'ifs' - behavioural problems, veterinary issues etc. All things which whilst might be worth a punt for the capable horse-person with the right set-up (and the finances for either big vet bills OR no qualms about PTS if things don't work out). Sometimes though people are just in the right place at the right time and get a horse for a nominal amount because the owner knows the person will give the horse a good home (and it is not a horse that would be easy to sell on the open market).

It would be interesting to hear a few more 'warts and all' accounts of the work people had to put in on these bargain horses. And also perhaps to hear about the ones that didn't make it ...

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
this!
I would also say that although most of mine have been super cheap/freebies, that is for a reason, none have been the hop-on-and-go type and there have been some big old complicated projects going on. And some have gone wrong permanently. So it's not a brag, it's, um, a lifestyle ;)

Yeah, all mine were cheapish but the only one who was a genuine bargain was the Connemara. The other two, although cheap for the horses I got after a couple years of ownership, were a fair price for what they were when I bought them. Whereas Pebbles would have sold for 5-10 times what I bought her for if in a different place.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Honestly? I overpaid hugely for both mine.

First one was a 5yo Polish Warmblood, paid £6500 (which would have been reasonable if dealer had been being truthful). Was very green, slightly out of control when jumping and a nightmare on the ground. I was only 14, fell in love with her the second I sat on her and didn’t know better. But she turned out to be worth every penny and more with a little bit of work.

Then there’s Henry (3/4 ID 1/4 TB). I paid £5500 for him in 2016 as a just turned 6yo. Was massively fat, unbalanced and had barely done anything. But I suppose I was paying for potential and looks (and to be fair, gorgeous breeding). They were very honest, and we all thought he’d get over the spookiness pretty quickly once he got out doing things (we were wrong ?).

Knowing what I know now, I’d pay for the first one, but possibly wouldn’t pay that for Henry (he’s not totally useless, he does have a lot of good points!)

Sealine

Visit site
I know someone with two ponies. The first cost her £1 and the second 50p.

10 years ago I paid £6k including tack and rugs for my horse. He's been worth every penny and more.

ETA: 16.1hh, Cob x?, 8 years old at the time. Kind, sane, safe and will have a go at anything but no world beater.

Widgeon

Visit site
Bought my old girl Asha for £3.5k that was 17 years ago, Finn was just over £4k and Pip was over £5k. All 3 are true super stars and worth every penny and then some.

Yes, closer to this for me too - I paid about £3.5K last year for an 11 yo experienced 15.hh PC cob. He came with his tack and rugs and was an absolute bargain - he was found through a friend of a friend and she was the reason we got first veiwing. Unfortunately he has nasty arthritis in one hock but it's now under control and he's doing an excellent job of giving me my confidence back, which is why I bought him. He was not vetted but even after treating the arthritis he's well worth what I paid. He'll have a home for life with me.

Horse before him was a well bred 9yo 14.2hh, supposedly an experienced hack (bought from his breeder, I did try him, and he was lovely. Vet didn't pick up anything wrong prior to purchase). I paid £6K for him. Once in anything resembling proper work (ie hacking and schooling a few times a week) his behaviour deteriorated badly to the point of being unsafe. To summarise a very long story we think he probably has kissing spines or a similar nasty problem with his back, and he's now in a companion home. I'd never pay that much for a horse again - after all the work and investigations that went into him I lost almost everything. He also destroyed my confidence.

So, sub £5K only for me from now on I think, and I'd only buy something that was proven to be already doing the job I wanted it for - even if that is just being sound and bombproof to potter around the lanes.

doodle

Visit site
There was no difficulties with Abbey. Her feet took a couple of trims to sort out, she was full of worms which resolved quickly and cost a couple of wormers and work counts and I restarted her vaccinations. Her mane and tail were cut and then mane pulled and it took 3 hours to get rid of all the tangles and mats from mane and tail. However she was rehomed as a companion only so I really didn’t care if she was difficult to catch or whatever as her “job” was simply to stand in a field while I rode one or other of the boys. The fact she turned into a useful horse was a huge bonus.

I dug into her past. The lady I had got her from had said she was selling up her place and moving to America and she needed rid. What actually happened was it used to be a livery yard. Abbey was owned by a mother and son, but she bucked off everyone who tried to get on her. 6 years before I got her they simply didn’t come back for her. The livery yard had closed and she was the only one left. Owner of land had eventually tracked them down and they said to pts. Land owner said she would try and get a home first but she had very limited time.

Her friend had advertised her in the old ih group. It turns out this friend was a livery at the same yard as my friend who had come with me to see abbey. This came out after about 6 months. By that time I had got on her, I was much sillier then and thought I would get on and see what happened. She was the easiest horse ever. Whatever you asked her to do she would. She was never terribly happy in a stable but if you asked her she would. Her deterioration from fine to pts was 18 days. It was terribly sad but she had had 3 years being loved and cared for. Not sure how old she actually was but early 20’s.

Visit site
I brought 3 home from work with me for nothing. 2 were injured, the other too old for racing but perfectly sound. Kyle was a field companion for 8 years before he got a field injury that was irreparable. He hated being ridden, hated men and would not have found a suitable home if I didn't take him as he was a quirky bugger.

Gray had a 100% rupture to his SDFT and it was a case of I either took him home or he left the racecourse in a meat wagon. I took him knowing I could be putting him in that same meat truck 6 months down the line because he would never come field sound. Instead he came 100% sound and has won a hell of a lot in the show ring because he is truly stunning.

Jeff was 11yo, had had the best season of his career and so his owner called time on his racing career whilst he was on a high. I hack him home from work. We had a special bond. He did well in the show ring for a couple of years before he picked up an injury. He lived out his days with me until he was pts in March last year at the age of 23.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Just to give a bit of perspective.
I paid £2000 for this horrible monster from the infamous dealer featured on the one show.
Image-2385.jpg
I'm ashamed to admit that I was so blinded the dealer could have sold me a three legged horse on the promise the other one would grow back.
Not only did this minging ginger tosspot throw me off (because he could) but he was a nightmare with other horses and once went for a gallop down the A1 on his own. I had concussion twice and due to a well placed strike had one size DD boob.
He had a dodgy passport and was at least 18 years old.
On the plus side once I had his trust he was a diamond and we had an amazing time together for 10 years.
When I die if there is an afterlife I will walk past every other person to see him again.
I was totally royally ripped off but he was worth every last penny.

J&S

Visit site
So how much did your childhood ponies cost? My first was a 13.2 NF x TB and cost my father £40.00 as a 3yr old and my second was a skewbald cob mare of 14.2
who was strong as an ox and my father was able to ride her too, she cost £80.00. This would have been about 1958 and 1960/61. Never needed a penny of vets fees and shoes cost 10/- for just fronts and £1.00 a full set....... oh those were the days eh? I pay nigh on £100 for 2 x ponies to have front shoes and trims now!!
Oh, and livery was 10/- a week in summer and £1.00 a week including all feed in winter.

PurBee

Visit site
Yep nothing in this thread doesn't sound like a bargain if it's above 1p ? but on the other hand, what would you do with 500 horses? So you can still say 500pounds well spent ?

youre right...yet with 500 horses i know i’ll have more than i bargained for...yet a part of me would just love it! ?

PurBee

Visit site
You are welcome to guess what I paid for him (an unbacked 3yo 3/4 PRE, 1/4 welsh B). I can tell you I’ve spent over 20k in vets bills, now worth nothing and priceless all at the same time. My best friend for 13 years now, and will be with me til the end.
View attachment 65363
View attachment 65365
He’s gorgeous!
i hope you got him for free to offset the vet bills tho!

Julia0803

Visit site
As a comparison to the freebies, our 14.2 PC cob, 7 at the time, complete with multiple pony club references was £3650 seven years ago. I think he was the best money I have ever spent in my entire life. He has done everything we ever asked of him and more. He will be with us to his very last day. I adore the very bones of him and to me he is priceless.

With covid prices now, I’m guessing something similar would be £8k maybe more? Happy to give all PC/RC activities a go and competitive at lower levels, complete confidence giver for small nervous kids but happy to step up for someone competent. Super easy to do on the ground and a nice person. Not an adrenaline filled ride, if you want to go to badminton he’s not for you. But to both enjoy yourselves, have a lovely time and come home safe? He’s your boy.