how much will a three year old grow?

Lipza767

Visit site
I recently bought my horse from a dealer supposedly as a rising 5 year old. He's 15.2 currently so though he might grow a tiny but but had the equine dentist out a few days ago and she's totally shocked me by telling me she's 100% sure he's under 3 1/2 possibly as young as late 2's!! This i don't mind but I'm now wondering if he will get much bigger? Id quite like it if he grew another hand as he's quite narrow at the moment so i feel closer to the ground than im used to! Ive never had one this young so really have no idea what's normal growth. His breeding is unknown but id guess at cob x tb or something along those lines.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would get the vet out urgently and get his opinion on your boy's age as I really wouldn't be riding him if he's only two.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If he is only 2yo, then it explains why he's so narrow. There are two types of string test (google it) that you can do to give a rough prediction of adult height. I agree with wagtail RE riding him.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I would t think much of a dentist if they cannot tell if a horse is two and a half or three and a half!

At 2 1/2 the central permanent teeth are through, the laterals are through at 3 1/2 and the corners at 4 1/2 in full wear at 5.

gmw

Visit site
Absolutely as above no riding until age established. What's on passport? Are you able to contact dam and sire owners to try establish age?

dollyanna

Visit site
Foxhunter49 I have 2 3yr olds who had the dentist for the first time this week - one has all her adult teeth through and the other has only one, he is actually slightly older than her but they are nearly a year apart in teeth developments. I guess there are variations just as with humans!

ridefast

Visit site
If he's only 2 then easily another hand to grow. Turn him away for the winter and bring him back next year, no harm done

keri66

Visit site
The dentist was adamant that my horse was a year older than he actually was..
I knew exactly how old he was I got him as a 6 month old.
Age by teeth is not always acurate

Lipza767

Visit site
Thank for everyone's concern but you don't need to worry he has been turned away. I've had horses for well over 30 years and am in no rush to get him going. My question though was regarding height? I'm guessing no one is able to advise?

Queenbee

Visit site

Not necessarily, my beast has shifted around in build but not actually gained in height since he was 2... He is now 5 1/2... I dream of him jumping in a grow bag and sprouting a couple more inches, but am not really hopeful since we have been at a dead lock for a few years now. However, I would generally hold out some hope that a 2-3 year old will grow a bit.

EstherYoung

Visit site
It is quite a common dealer thing for a young horse with a full mouth of baby teeth to be passed off as an adult horse with a full mouth of adult teeth. You wouldn't be the first one to find out their 5yo is 2yo. It generally comes to light once they start losing baby teeth.

But in answer to your question, ditto the others. Lots!

lelly

Visit site
I have a two year old who I was told was four when I bought her. She had the wrong passport. Have you checked if she is chipped? Mine was and luckily I was able to trace the correct passport issuing office and get the right one. I have now spoken to her breeder. To answer your height question, I would hope for another hand at two year old. But at three maybe two inches. They do all grow different though.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
It's anyone's guess what height he will end up - even when you're SURE of his age! One of my pure-bred IDs was barely 15hh as a 2 year old. I graded her (and she did well) and hoped she'd grow. At 4, she's just on 15.2. This is a mare whose mother was 16.3 and whose sire was 17hh.