How much work for a 3yo?

Dovorian

Visit site
Having not had a youngster for many a year I feel out of touch. A livery has a 2011 3yo Irish crossbred type mare. Very quiet in all ways but she is doing 90mins roadwork at least 4 times a week. My initial response was horror but others tell me it is common practice. Is it me?

cc14

Visit site
Our three year olds start off with 30 mins long rein a few times a week, then once backed fully its 30 mins about twice a week. The more the horse develops, the more it gets ridden. However it obviously varies what the work your doing with them is and what you eventually want them to be doing. If shes just walking on roads I cant see this as being awful, 90 mins on the gallop however would be a different story! I dont think there are any set rules, just whatever feels right for the horse. Some progress faster, some need more development before they can cope with that kind of work.

rossiroo

Visit site
I would think that if this is only for a few weeks in the nice weather then this is ok.Probably better than schooling in circles in a deep menage, but personaly I would do a few weeks to establish the basics then turn away for the winter.

Spyda

Visit site
A livery has a 2011 3yo Irish crossbred type mare. Very quiet in all ways but she is doing 90mins roadwork at least 4 times a week.

Too much for a 3 year old IMO.

1½ hours seems an awfully long time for a 3 year old to be plodding around on the hard old roads, with a weight on its back. Although I'm sure many do it and get away with it initially - who knows what affect it'll have in the long term.

ColandMe

Visit site
My just turned 4yr old is doing about 20 mins road work 3/4 times a week. Mostly walk, the odd minute of trot. He's such a good little thing he'd happily do more but I want to take things nice and slow with him.

Spyda

Visit site
My just turned 4yr old is doing about 20 mins road work 3/4 times a week. Mostly walk, the odd minute of trot. He's such a good little thing he'd happily do more but I want to take things nice and slow with him.

^^^^^^^^^ exactly this with my recently backed 4 year old.