How much would they normally charge?

Mlini

Visit site
I attended a strangles lecture at my vets last night, due to the area being riddled with it (8 yards confirmed) and at the end they mentioned a few offers for the spring as an incentive to get owners looking after their horses better. They were all good offers (such as get vaccs done during April and get next one free of charge, money off strangles vacc, free call out for 6+ horses...) but only one that I am wanting to take them up on...

...They are willing to come out and do a 'check up' on your horse for £10. This includes weighing (by weighbridge), condition scoring, checking teeth, eyes, heart etc, trot up to check lameness, checking shoeing and advising on all of these, not actually doing any treatment or testing just advising. They will answer any questions you have about your horse. All for £10! They have done the offer as an incentive to make people aware of overweight horses and the risks, laminitis etc.

How much do you think a vets would normally charge for doing a general health check up? I think this sounds like a great deal as I would like some advice on my horses condition/weight and definately don't mind paying £10 for a professional opinion! :D Do your vets do offers like this?

trottingon

Visit site
Sounds like a bargain but would imagine there'd be a callout charge on top so maybe not as cheap as you imagined?

LeannePip

Visit site
even if there is a call out charge what they're offering is basically a 2stage vetting and when i bought my youngster i paid £200+ for that and there was no weight bridge! go for it! i want my vet to do something similar!

Dubsie

Visit site
Whereabouts is your vet ? Our scrap yard charge £10 to weigh car trailer and box but would have to go again after taking the scrap to get pony weighed, so this sounds a bargain, as I really want to know how much the pony weighs!

Capriole

Visit site
various offers yes, not sure what the last one was, will go see if I can find the newsletter.

The 'current' thing in the newsletter here (actually it finished on the 28th) is a Gastroscopy investigation for £30 per horse reduced from £195.86.

Also a half price health plan offer for £75: full exam inc soundness assessment, blood test, routine dental inc sedation, written report, 10% discount on vacc, and 2 free worm counts. (was just going to say I dont know how much thats reduced from , oops :D)

Goldenstar

Visit site
The vets are struggling the recession is Bitting them now , I have discussed this recently with a senior partner at a equine pracise with all singing and dancing equipment they said that people are cutting back drastically things like instead of shock waving for splints they are opting to hose and rest for longer .
They have people say how much is a tie back and they say X and the client is saying do it for Y or I will leave it and I heard recently ( another practice ) of a owner negioting down a colic op cost substantially .
So I think offers will became much more common health checks are a way of drumming up trade in the vets eyes .
The gastro scoping offer mentioned in the thread is fab I wish that was my vets.

La Fiaba

hosteldog.blogspot.com
I had all my horses health checked (minus weightbridge) before bringing them back into work after a winter off, vet only charged me for the call out and the 2 treatments that were required. I have 9 horses, so £10 sounds right to me.