How much would you charge?

Pennythetank

Visit site
Hi guys quick question, I've been offered the ride on a 6yr old mare in order to bring her on slightly(she's beautifully schooled but still green) and keep her fit for the owner's daughter (in boarding schools, comes home on weekends), normally I would do it for free but they straight away are offering payment. As I'm looking for a job anyway I'm delighted but have no idea what to charge?
I'm 16 in school and have been around horses my whole life. I have completed my b test in pc, worked during summer on a breaking yard and have competed. If you were in this position what would be a fair fee per ride (I'll be riding 3-4 times a week)
Thanks
Ptt :D

eggs

Visit site
Round me it costs between £25 to £35 per schooling session. I imagine it would be less to hack the horse. Big you do take this horse on make sure you have insurance.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
In my area absolute minimum would be £10 per hour up to £25-£35 upwards dependent on what they were doing and what qualifications they had.
As has been said make sure you are insured especially if being paid.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
For a teenager with no quals and for pocket money then no more than £10

But to me a teenager with their B test is a good rider and with experience at a breaking yard gives them more value, so if they had their own rider insurance too (and your usual BHS membership doesn't cover paid work) I would think of them as a rider well worth paying.

For general exercise I'd pay £10-15/hr.

burtie

Visit site
Ok thanks guys :) I do have my own insurance anyway, my mother wouldn't ever let me near a horse let alone on one with out it ;)

If it's not a professional 'Care, custody and control' insurance it won't cover you if you are taking payment for riding, might be worth checking the small print of yours!

blowsbubbles

Visit site
I woulks say £10 an hour for hacking exercise with a bit of schooling, but as regular work and friends, would probably discount.
Check if you are just riding, or expected to bring in groom etc. If so make sure you specify how much actual riding you would be doing

The wife

Visit site
Ok thanks guys :) I do have my own insurance anyway, my mother wouldn't ever let me near a horse let alone on one with out it ;)

If you are receiving any remuneration of any sort be it money, gifts etc, most insurance policies will not cover you on a standard policy and so you'll have to take out a seperate policy for a 'business user'. My insurance does not cover me for a horse I look after for an owner, i receive no payment for looking after him or riding (apart from the occasional £10 left over from him eating less hay once in a blue moon) but the owner pays all of the bills etc but the NFU will not cover me.

I highly advise you look into your own policy before even thinking about it.

On a payment front, considering your age, unless you were competing BSJA/BE/BD or a had shown a massive gift for riding I would not pay any more than £7 - £10 for an hours schooling session - including tacking up and cooling down etc into this hour.

Pennythetank

Visit site
Ok thanks guys, I'll check my insurance and see what I might need and so is around 10€ p/r what most people would expect? I would be bringing in/out and grooming as well :)

Tobiano

Visit site
I'd say 10 pounds sterling so a bit more than 10 euro for bringing in, grooming etc as well as schooling. But it depends a bit on what else is on offer in your area. Dont sell yourself too cheaply or the customers wont value what you do for them!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Fine balance.....£10/hour sounds about right given this is your first gig, but if you're any good you should be looking to bump up to £15 for the next client!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I am doing similar for my YO. I am bringing her horse on for her as she is nervous/inexperienced. In return I get my livery bill halved, so effectively I'm doing it for £25pw but I'm only riding him a couple of times a week so works out at about £10 a go.

Welly

Visit site
Why not ride the horse and have some fun! I am sorry but you said you were happy to do it so why charge. When money gets involved your relationship changes with theses people, they can tell you how and what to do, when to ride, etc. and if you are looking for money the national minimum wage for your age is £3.79 an hour try ringing around some yards and find out how much they pay! If they are nice people they will look after you and pay your expenses but not a wage its a legal minefield!

Farma

Visit site
I ride for people and charge £20 for 40 mins at my yard and same plus petrol off the yard. If it was regular and you don't have a lot of horses to fit in worth starting cheaper to get your reputation and name about if this is the career you wish to pursue x