How much would you need to spend....

KatB

Visit site
Realistically at "Low budget" for a nice 4/5yr old ready to go out and do a bit?
wink.gif
I know its kind of like "how long is a piece of string" but for something thats very green, but schooled a little bit and popped a few poles?
smile.gif
wink.gif
And where would you look for a non budget breaking horse?!
tongue.gif
Preferably an eventer type...

ihatework

Visit site
I think you could pick something nice up for 3K if you are prepared to look around and sift out the rubbish

Bubblegum

Visit site
A friend of mine is looking for exactly what you describe. Most she has looked at are around £2-£2.5K and have been ok...but nothing special. Think she needs to up her budget by about £1K to find something a bit nicer.
If she would consider an ex-racer... then these can be found for a lot less....our really nice one was under £1500.

Gamebird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you could pick something nice up for 3K if you are prepared to look around and sift out the rubbish

[/ QUOTE ]

Have paid pretty much that a few times for what you describe. Professionally broken 4yo, in Autumn of 4yo year, green but basics there and could go out small unaff SJing/XC schooling within a month or 6 weeks.

My favourite sort of horse to buy - Carthorse was one such (though he'd done a lot less than the others ie. he'd been backed. Just
crazy.gif
)
cool.gif

ihatework

Visit site
If you are seriously looking it might be worth your while putting out a wanted ad on horsequest, you might pick up the ditherers that aren't actually advertised

KatB

Visit site
Thanks GB... just interested to know what could be got for what really
tongue.gif
Seem a LOVELY mare for 3.5k by Classic, but not keen on the fact she's a mare
smirk.gif

Gamebird

Visit site
Mare, schmare
tongue.gif
. I've got one I could sell you. A couple of years older (or more sensible if you want to look at it that way
smirk.gif
) but she's yours for 3k
wink.gif
tongue.gif

KatB

Visit site
Thanks ben_and_Jerrys, was looking at his website actually, a friend has brought a lovely little horse from him in the past, and know someone else that has had one too.
smile.gif
Definitely has some good un's...

Gamebird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lmao!! hmmm.....
wink.gif
tongue.gif
That would be a nice quick turnaround wouldnt it
tongue.gif
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think eventer_ellie had first refusal!. Still going well, mustn plan some outings...
Are you coming tomorrow?

KatB

Visit site
Lol! Bidding war!!
tongue.gif

Would love to come tomo, but think its going to be impossible as got to get to work in the morning
frown.gif
frown.gif

daisycrazy

Visit site
Have seen the odd one on horsemart recently that has been a good price for a nice looking young horse. It is worth keeping an eye on it. There was one being sold by Derek Morton a couple of weeks ago, think it was a 5yo 16.2hh, well bred (Its the Business) had been broken and turned away, £2500.

SpottedCat

Visit site
You could PM Chatter1 - she often has one or two in for sale, though do not know prices. She just sold a really nice little mare.

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
I picked up my now 4 year old mare for £3.5k last year, just backed. She's proving to be worth her weight in gold, but I think I struck lucky as the other ones I've had since buying her haven't been as special and haven't stayed long. She's got gorgeous paces and a bold jump and puts my main event horse to shame!

amber2-2.jpg

How far are you looking to search? I've a good reputable source for all my bunch.

seabiscuit

Visit site
In this climate I honestly think that you could get something either for nothing ( free) or under £2k if you look long and hard enough, and as B&J says put up a wanted ad.
May be worth considering a unbroken National Hunt horse, 4 year old from Doncaster sales. Have seen some super duper smart untouched types come from there where they were only £1k or so.
Or go over to Ireland where apparently ( in some parts) theyre so desperate to get rid of their horses they cant even afford to put them down, and cant afford to keep them, so they are just being turned out onto the roads and are wondering loose!

Willow1306

Visit site
There is a place in Yorks called SandJhorsesand ponies (google it) and they seem to keep a wide range in, with a lot for < 2k. I haven't heard any good or bad reports on them, but do keep my eye on their stock and think that they will be worth a visit when i'm next horse hunting.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Having just gone through the anguish of looking (and buying), I must say that all this 'in the current climate' talk is, quite simply, rubbish! Anyone with a nice horse knows what they've got and will not shift much on the price.

I've looked at dozens from £2k through to £8k + - and the prices have, in general, reflected the horse you're going to get (considering breeding, training, etc, etc).

I know there is always the exception to the rule (Gamebird's lovely Smartie being a case in point) but I do think they are few and far between.

*Runs away and waits to get shot down....*

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
well i know if one that is on horsequest lovely horse and i have one! PM me if you want to know more! Both have done a bit the one on HQ has done more than mine - won and placed Aff prelim dressage done ROR classes. But both are ex racers thou but dont act like it!!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Word of mouth is the magic word. Good horses that are bargains dont tend to get advertised. You need to tell anyone and everyone what you are looking for and then one day someone will say, I've got this lovely 5 year old sittting in the field and I dont have time for it!

Its overpriced rubbish that usually ends up on adverts!

JustMe22

Visit site
I had a quick look on the horse exchange...few decent ones. Here are a couple of reference numbers for the ads:

Ref: 73605... this one is 16.1hh though, might be a little big?

There's a few more if you search more carefully, but I just picked out the first few that looked decent and met the criteria.

Personally, I second the ex-racer idea. Mine cost me..well, less than £300 and I would show you what I got for that...umm...if I could figure out how to post photos.
blush.gif
confused.gif
As it is..he's a really good all rounder with a super jump and lovely big floating paces.

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Having just gone through the anguish of looking (and buying), I must say that all this 'in the current climate' talk is, quite simply, rubbish! Anyone with a nice horse knows what they've got and will not shift much on the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Im currently selling one of mine and put him at the price I know he is worth, not what the market is at as Ive found the market has suddenly kick started lately. Ive had over 25 enquiries about my horse in the past 2 weeks!

I personally have bought all my horses past and present at what I would call "bargain" prices - you do find them, you just have to search a bit! I had a lot of success with putting wanted adverts in local newspapers / online etc. saying my max limit and letting them come to me.