How much would you pay for a Connemara youngster?

bex25

Visit site
As title really, what do you feel is a reasonable price to pay for a 2/3 year old unbroken registered Connemara with average breeding? In Ireland and UK.

Thanks in advance!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Hi
I paid 1300 euro 2 years ago for a yearling from Ireland. Green booked, nice breeding, small family type stud.
i thought that was reasonable

bex25

Visit site
Thank you, that does sound very reasonable.
I have been quoted up to 2500 euro which I thought was a bit excessive especially once you add transport. Or maybe the seller was expecting a hard haggle!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Ye I think the transport was about 300 sterling on top, he got stuck at the border for a couple of extra nights due to bad weather.
mine is more ‘traditional’ type, not one of the very athletic/over height type, I’ve seen some of those types go for double what I paid

Shay

Visit site
The producer who imported our connie paid just under E3000 for him sight unseen aged 2. (So about 4 years ago now - prices, and exchnage rate!, will have changed.) He is magnificently bred, green book, stunning sire and dam. Sibs & half sibs all over the showing circuit. Went overhieght by the time he was 4 so usless for showing. Our gain! But the prices for those with the breeding remain consistently high.

Michen

Visit site
My friend has the most exquisite Connie x tb which she’s now selling as won’t make height. She is putting him up for 4K (has had tack on), 3 year old and I’ve no doubt she will get it.

Ceriann

Visit site
I’ve been browsing the fbook pages on connies - prices seem v strong for anything around that age or ready to be backed/lightly backed. Not trying to hijack post but if looking in mainland UK, are there any particular breeders/Studs of note?

I have a Connie cross (no particular breeding) and am converted! Years of IDs to realise all I really wanted was a little Connie!

bex25

Visit site
I’ve been browsing the fbook pages on connies - prices seem v strong for anything around that age or ready to be backed/lightly backed. Not trying to hijack post but if looking in mainland UK, are there any particular breeders/Studs of note?

I have a Connie cross (no particular breeding) and am converted! Years of IDs to realise all I really wanted was a little Connie!

No not hijacking at all Ceriann, I would also be interested to know of any breeder recommendations on the mainland or Ireland. I would prefer to go direct rather than through a dealer.

bex25

Visit site
Thank you all for the helpful responses. It does seem the 2-3k mark is about average at the moment with little difference between the mainland & Ireland.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Nothing in the 1500-2500 range would turn me off or surprise me if it were a well-bred and well put together youngster. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the prices reached up to 3500.

still standing

Visit site
I don't know about the testing - just that a friend recently found that her Connemara has this & is of course devastated. I'm sure someone on here will know more about the testing.

P.forpony

Visit site
Quite right Bex25 they should all be tested and recorded.
testing now is very simple and inexpensive.
Because it’s an autosomal recessive trait both parents must be carriers for a foal to show symptoms, and it’s approximately a 1:4 chance of a symptomatic foal from carrier parents.
A carrier n/HS can be bred to a non carrier n/n without the risk of producing an affected foal. So it’s important to know the status of both parents.

bex25

Visit site
Quite right Bex25 they should all be tested and recorded.
testing now is very simple and inexpensive.
Because it’s an autosomal recessive trait both parents must be carriers for a foal to show symptoms, and it’s approximately a 1:4 chance of a symptomatic foal from carrier parents.
A carrier n/HS can be bred to a non carrier n/n without the risk of producing an affected foal. So it’s important to know the status of both parents.

Thank you P.forpony that’s really interesting. Possibly a silly question but if a foal has been tested as N/HS (not affected but a carrier) is there any chance it could become affected later on in life?

P.forpony

Visit site
Not a silly question the genetics can be a bit of a minefield.
No thankfully there is no chance of a carrier developing symptoms at any point during their lives.
This is why testing is so important because if we were to stop breeding from every carrier then the genetic diversity of the connie gene pool could potentially suffer significantly.
But breeding two carriers together risks an awful outcome to the foal.

Sorry OP for getting a bit off track!
I’ve been doing too much research planning to put my mare in foal next spring ?
To answer your original question I’d expect a well put together youngster to fetch around 2k, add 500 if it’s nicely bred and another 500 if it’s buckskin!