How much would you pay for a un backed rising 3 yr old?

fruity

Visit site
Hello all! Just wondered if you could help.

I am seeing a horse that fits everything i'm looking for (albiet a bit younger than what i had in mind) and if she is true to what the breeder has said about her then i will be putting a deposit down (will be getting her 2 stage vetted) have my instructor coming with me. The horse in question is by Drumcross Spurs out of a tb mare (she does dressage and showing/hunting side saddle). The filly is a coloured (CHAPS reg) and will make 16hh,she has been sat on with a saddle and that's it,she was shown in hand as a yearling and 2 yr old and travels well. The breeder is retaining her full brother as a stallion and needs to sell some girls.I have seen her advert at 2.2k and 2.1k on different websites,would you say this is a fair price for the current market at the moment? Have only ever brought 4 yr olds that are backed so this would be the first time i'd have one from total scratch. Thoughts would be appreciated. Can offer a sweet and sour pot noodle and a twinings swiss hot chocolate ........nice combo :)

ecrozier

Visit site
Damn hit send too soon! He was worth every penny to us, but she hadn't had much interest at that price ;) did have a rubbish ad pic though, and she didn't mention his kwpn side in ad either which prob would have justified a higher price!

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I paid just less than £2k for my rising 3yo coloured filly to make 16hh, with pretty good breeding- she had hardly been handled though, so £2.1k sounds about right :)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Ps just re read - already sat on with saddle and 3 this time seems a bit early tho?

Well that wouldn't bother me - I'm just about to do the same with my rising 3 year olds. Doesn't mean I'm going to be hammering them round the countryside, it just means they've been quietly started, will accept tack, will lunge in walk and a little trot, and have learnt to have a rider on board before they get too big and full of themselves :) It makes them easier to start again and work away with them in the autumn.

I've always assumed £1k per year, so a 3yo should be around the £3k mark, but how long is a piece of string?:) It all depends what you are getting, and what you are wanting. To be honest, if it's the right horse and you are planning to keep it for years, I'd say her price sounds more than reasonable.:) her breeder won't be making any money at that price

ihatework

Visit site
Depends on how much quality the horse has.
There is a lot of dross around in the 2K bracket, but if she is a good type then that sort of price would be a bargin IMO.
It's sifting the wheat from the chaff!!!

fruity

Visit site
Well without saying too much she has done quite well so far in her classes and my friend who shows to quite a high level thinks she could be cracker and has stunning paces but i'm def no expert,i do however think she is a good price for what she is and the breeder is lovely and very open and is luckily very local to me and is keen for the new owner to stay in touch. It would be for life,def no more selling horses for me,hate hate hate it.

Kiristamm

Visit site
Hello all! Just wondered if you could help.

I am seeing a horse that fits everything i'm looking for (albiet a bit younger than what i had in mind) and if she is true to what the breeder has said about her then i will be putting a deposit down (will be getting her 2 stage vetted) have my instructor coming with me. The horse in question is by Drumcross Spurs out of a tb mare (she does dressage and showing/hunting side saddle). The filly is a coloured (CHAPS reg) and will make 16hh,she has been sat on with a saddle and that's it,she was shown in hand as a yearling and 2 yr old and travels well. The breeder is retaining her full brother as a stallion and needs to sell some girls.I have seen her advert at 2.2k and 2.1k on different websites,would you say this is a fair price for the current market at the moment? Have only ever brought 4 yr olds that are backed so this would be the first time i'd have one from total scratch. Thoughts would be appreciated. Can offer a sweet and sour pot noodle and a twinings swiss hot chocolate ........nice combo :)

Is she coming from the stallion's owner or the mares? I payed more than £2k for my rising 3yo, but she has phenomonal paces.

wildcard

Visit site
I bought my 3 year old last july and was up for £2500 totally untouched lovely coloured mare and i eventually Paid just over 2k well worth every penny tho.. Broadfordqueen yours is absolutely stunning hope mine ends up half as nice. I think around the 2k mark is a fair price. i often think if it feels right.. i new she was the one even tho she was a bit minging looking when i went to see her lol any pics of possible newbie?? xx

Kiristamm

Visit site
The stallion is a good horse, its a not bad price either. if you like her go for her, but haggle! you might be surprised! they can only say "No, higher!"

fruity

Visit site
Thanks guys,that's been a huge help,am a lot happier now,have a figure in my head and will put it to her. I will post pics after sat morning when i see her (am really worried she'll be snapped up otherwise!!!) just hope you like her now,bet you will all think she's a minger now i've said she's nice!

fruity

Visit site
The stallion is a good horse, its a not bad price either. if you like her go for her, but haggle! you might be surprised! they can only say "No, higher!"

Do you know of him? Have heard some good things about him and his grand sire. My main wishes are temp and trainability,have heard of his offspring being generally well mannnered and nice rides.

fruity

Visit site
Just seen her ad, she looks like her dad, she will be nice! Have you looked at her dads website?

You like? She hasn't lots of white has she which i wasn't sure i'd like but i love her zebra mane! The breeder is lovely and i have such a good feeling about the whole thing. Yep have loked into her dad and think he is gorge!

Last edited:

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
She sounds a good prospect and yes, that's a fair price. If you bear in mind the breeder will have probably paid a stud fee, kept her dam for 11 months and then her for almost 3 years it won't even cover her costs, she may just break even.
The filly sounds a really nice sort so yes, provided you can find nothing major wrong I'd snap her up..

Charem

Visit site
I have a gelding by Crossdrum Spurs, who is Drumcross's sire. He is beautifully marked but moves like poop :p although his dam is not listed and I suspect she was a random gypsy cob.

From what i've heard they generally have good temprements and make good RC horses, i've never come across another before but I think the world of my boy.

fruity

Visit site
Now i'm sure it's fate i go see her as found out she was born on the breeders birthday 4 days early and it also my birthday too! :) thanks guys for your help. Will let you know how it goes.