How much would you pay for

Frazer

Visit site
A 15-16.3hh horse, between ages of 3-4 (poss 5) unproven, but with good start in jumping, or shown scoop over jumps! Gelding or mare.. Been looking at the horse market, but there are so many varying horse prices it would be good to see what you would pay! Sorry about the lack of details, but I am thinking about buying a horse like this as a project, so dont really have any more specif details.
smile.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Depends of breeding etc. but I paid £2800 for Otto (the bay below). He was 5, just broken with no track record. I thought that was a reasonable price, but others may disagree.
Does that help?

Frazer

Visit site
Yeah, anything really that will help me get an idea! I was planning to try and find a resonable horse for £1700 a broken unproven horse, with no fancy breeding at all! But now am realising I think I need to add about another £1000 other that haaha! Unless i take a gamble and go to the sales

Iestyn

Visit site
The problem with horse's of that age is that they are in the main sold on "potential". It's the buzz word at the moment. Without a track record, people can claim their youngsters are going to be the next big thing. There's no competition record to disagree with this at that age. If something has half decent breeding there's more of a guarantee that it will turn out nice, therefore people will expect buyers to pay for it. If there is no breeding then you need to be a very good judge of conformation and movement to be able to decide whether it's going to be half decent. I would maybe go to a breeder or dealer. At least they will be more realistic about a horse's future potential and tend to price accordingly. Especially if you find one's with a good reputation, they aren't going to want to rip people off.

Not sure how much I'd expect to pay - depends on what type of horse, breeding and future job. Sometimes (if you're experienced enough) and ex-racer can be a fantastic project and give hours of satisfaction.
laugh.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I was looking for that type of horse gave up as way out of my budget. I ended up getting a 6yo who had done nothing instead as a lot cheaper. I even looked at some manky 2yos as a possibility as nice 2yos seem to be going for £3k.
I agree on the ex racehorse thing that was going to be my next option but found the 6yo just before Ascot Sales.

KatB

Visit site
My boy was a just backed 3/4yr old when brought him from Ireland. He is show quality, and had a proven loose jump, and good movement, but no breeding. I paid 4k for him which I thought was reasonable. However. as JoElla has proven, you can get a very nice horse for less money. You just have to decide what qualities you DEF want, and stick to them. you'll find something.