How much would you pay for...

lewis2015

Visit site
... a 17 yr old, 16.3hh ID mare suitable as a light hack? Comes with bridle and rugs but no saddle. No health issues that have been declared, but only ever been used to hack.

Am just interested to see what people think price wise!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What does 'no health issues that have been declared' mean? She has health issues that have been seen by a vet but not claimed on? She has health issues that have never been seen by a vet? Why is she only a light hack? There are 17-year olds who do Badminton.

From your limited description, I wouldn't pay more than meat money. Apologies if you find that a bit blunt, but I think in this market you would be lucky to sell a light hack that big at all.

lewis2015

Visit site
What does 'no health issues that have been declared' mean? She has health issues that have been seen by a vet but not claimed on? She has health issues that have never been seen by a vet? Why is she only a light hack? There are 17-year olds who do Badminton.

From your limited description, I wouldn't pay more than meat money. Apologies if you find that a bit blunt, but I think in this market you would be lucky to sell a light hack that big at all.

It's not me selling - sorry should have clarified. It's one I'm looking at getting, but wasn't sure on the amount I've been asked to pay. Like you, I would expect to pay nothing if a minimal amount for a horse like this but she's asked more than I expected and I didn't know if I was being unreasonable.

Undeclared means they've told me she has no health issues, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Last edited:

lewis2015

Visit site
To be fair, I have probably projected the words 'light hack' onto it as that's what I'm looking for. But this is not a competition horse, just a 'happy hacker' type.

booandellie

Visit site
with tack,and if they were sane and sensible with no health issues i would pay £1000 but i would be getting them vetted first. Nice sorts are hard to find and 17 isn't that old

booandellie

Visit site
oops just seen the no saddle bit so probably 800. I would be asking why she hasn't got one ie are they not riding her now or do they just want to keep it themselves- that would ring alarm bells for me

lewis2015

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! They have given me a good perspective and I agree I was probably being unreasonable in what I expected. Booandellie - they have a saddle, but say it was newly bought last year so I'd have to pay extra if wanted that which seems fair enough. They have said price is negotiable, just wasn't sure how cheeky to be in negotiating.

I understand what people say about vetting, but to be honest I bought a 13 year old 5 years ago, he passed a 5* vetting and we've had loads of health issues with him including Cushings which he probably had when I bought him, but obviously didn't show on the vetting. As it's only really a guarantee for that horse on that day I am cynical about their worth.

Last edited:
X

xspiralx

So the horse is completely sound and healthy (as far as you know)? Is it generally safe, sensible, good to do in all ways, no quirks or vices?

Is it a perfect hacking horse? i.e. good in traffic, hacks out on the buckle, good alone and in company, easy to pull up etc?

Assuming all of the above then I would say worth about £1250-£1500 or so. If it has any quirks, vices or health problems though then you could significantly drop that down to well under £1000.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I agree if safe and sane £1500 tops. Would still get it vetted though as would want to check heart and eyes are ok if nothing else.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think she is probably worth more, but I would only pay £500. If the saddle was nice and did really fit, then I may pay £1,000 all in, if she is a really nice, safe hack.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If she's for you and she ticks all your boxes and has no crosses on the health, then I would stretch to a thousand. If you were the seller, then I don't think she's 'worth' that (few people want an old16.3 hack), but if you are the buyer, and she's right in every possible way, then she's worth whatever you have to pay to get her.

I share your scepticism about vetting. I stopped having them done thirty years ago and I've never lost a horse to anything that would have shown on a vetting, and every one I sold on passed a five stage on sale. I may just have been lucky.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! They have given me a good perspective and I agree I was probably being unreasonable in what I expected. Booandellie - they have a saddle, but say it was newly bought last year so I'd have to pay extra if wanted that which seems fair enough. They have said price is negotiable, just wasn't sure how cheeky to be in negotiating.

I understand what people say about vetting, but to be honest I bought a 13 year old 5 years ago, he passed a 5* vetting and we've had loads of health issues with him including Cushings which he probably had when I bought him, but obviously didn't show on the vetting. As it's only really a guarantee for that horse on that day I am cynical about their worth.

Beware , vetting are about the things they do show up not was it does not .
Unless at 17 your happy to buy a horse and not know that it can see well has no heart issues which no one can guess at .
Even if an older horse fails a vetting I might still buy as long as it was a manageable problem I was happy to deal with and pay for .
A good back history is worth a lot on this type of horse gaps in it's work record would make me worry .
I would want to understand why they bought it a new saddle last year might be perfectly ok but it might be they where dealing with a back issue which at that age might be some thing nasty brewing.

lewis2015

Visit site
Beware , vetting are about the things they do show up not was it does not .
Unless at 17 your happy to buy a horse and not know that it can see well has no heart issues which no one can guess at .
Even if an older horse fails a vetting I might still buy as long as it was a manageable problem I was happy to deal with and pay for .
A good back history is worth a lot on this type of horse gaps in it's work record would make me worry .
I would want to understand why they bought it a new saddle last year might be perfectly ok but it might be they where dealing with a back issue which at that age might be some thing nasty brewing.

Thanks Goldenstar, an insightful reply with a very valid point about the saddle. I will keep this in mind when I go to view :)

Booboos

Visit site
If the horse is described as a light hack I would assume that for whatever reason she is not up to more demanding work and that, coupled with her age, means she is would only be worth a minimal amount. I would pay 1-1.5k for a good hacking horse but that means fit and able to be ridden 4-5 times a week, go for a fast canter, do long hacks etc.

lewis2015

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice everyone :) So I went to view her yesterday. She was what I expected, really - a big, sturdy, calm and steady older girl that will suit my novice OH really well (I am looking to buy one for my experienced rider sister and very tall (6'5) OH to share so that they can hack out with me once or twice a week). Have asked lots of questions and got what seem to me to be honest answers.

The issue is that she is a grey mare and has a melanoma under her tail. The owner says it's been there the 7 years she's had her and has not changed. I didn't know much about this issue so have been reading up and can see it's very common in greys. Apparently she has never had colic.

How much does this affect her value? Would it be a deal breaker for you? Thanks all! :)

Luci07

Visit site
I am being colourist here, but being a grey ID mare would swing it for me. 3 of the nicest mares I have ever known were gray ID's. Geniunely kind horses. They were all good RC all rounders as well. Melanoma won't be covered under insurance so for peace of mind, I would look into the ramifications of that.

lewis2015

Visit site
I am being colourist here, but being a grey ID mare would swing it for me. 3 of the nicest mares I have ever known were gray ID's. Geniunely kind horses. They were all good RC all rounders as well. Melanoma won't be covered under insurance so for peace of mind, I would look into the ramifications of that.

Thanks Luci :) Yes, she did seem a very kind, sweet natured sort

Amicus

Visit site
I think unless you take the view of never owning a grey (or selling them before they get old) melanoma's are something you have to deal with, if she's perfect for a novice husband then it sounds like a risk worth taking.

lewis2015

Visit site
Thanks Twiggy and Amicus for your input :) Although I'm leaning more towards what you say Amicus, it is important to get balance as I worry as I've always been a heart over head person! So just wanted to clarify that I wouldn't be being completely mental if I still got her! They want 750 for her - is this still reasonable with the melanoma do people think?

SusieT

Visit site
at that price I think that's fair money - I'd go ahead if she ticked the boxes. all greys will eventually get a melanoma essentially

Tobiano

Visit site
i knew a few greys who had melanomas and the oldest any of them got to was 15 before the melanomas did them in (all under the tail). So, I am afraid the melanoma would put me off, as I would worry that it was going to become a lot more significant quite soon :(