How much would you pay someone to school your horse..?

diddy

Visit site
Hello,

As title! I don't like schooling but my man needs more work on basic stuff like going forwards more freely and doing circles without me having to heave him around!

I'm trying to make up my mind whether it would be better to have more lessons on him myself or to get someone who knows what they're doing to ride him for me in between lessons.

Also, if I can find someone to do it, how often should they ride him for it to make a difference but without boring him..?

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your help!

Diddy x

blueblonde123

Visit site
I charged £20 as long as I didn't have to travel far and the horse had to be in and at least clean enough to put tack on - £20 does not include me traipsing through a field to catch a muddy hippo!
I never put a time on how long the horse was worked for because some days you get a brilliant 30 mins and others you spend an hour teaching something new, and normally I did it 2-3 times a week.
Just to add - £20 was basic schooling/exercise. If the horse was a fruit loop/breaking in/specific schooling e.g dressage or jumping it was more.
I think though, that as you want the horse improved and you mention lessons, it would be pointless for the horse to be further schooled/educated and you not - its fun to learn together and lessons aren't boring if you get the right instructor!

abi31

Visit site
I pay £25 to have my horse exercised once a week by a Pro through the dark winter months. She rides him midweek for an hour and a half to ensure he gets a good workout, hacking for an hour and jumping for 30 mins in her own arena. She helpfully lives 5 minutes down the road. I manage 2 evenings a week and twice a day at the weekend (a hack and a schooling session).

luckyhorseshoe

Visit site
Why not get someone to teach you and do the exercising as well - teaching you and horse will benefit you both and makes sense if same person does the both

Kat

Visit site
I'd invest in lessons instead. That way you learn to work the horse correctly, and in the long run it is more cost effective. No point the horse being schooled if you aren't learning at the same time.

diddy

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your answers - all very helpful! I've been having lessons too and will carry on doing that, it's more what to do in between. I know I should do more work with him myself and my instructor gives me exercises to do with him - I just can't be bothered unless there's someone there telling me what to do :rolleyes:

Perhaps if I do a bit of both (i.e. get someone to ride him & do more stuff in between lessons) we'll start to see a bit more of an improvement in both of us & we'll stop being so lazy...!

Thank you for your help :)

D.x

depurple1

Visit site
My instructor charges the same for schooling as for a lesson. She schools mine twice a week as I work ridiculous hours, and then I have a lesson each weekend too. When schooling she also fetches him in and tacks up too, but the field is very near and he rarely gets muddy.

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
My instructor rides my boy if I'm away for the weekend or with work etc. I pay her 10 pounds per session either schooling or hacking, I leave it up to her! I think she is VERY reasonably priced and she does an excellent job :)

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I pay £40 for 45 mins, but I have a very sensitive horse and I have a very experienced professional rider who I trust 110%. Most other instructors I know who charge less either wouldn't ride him, or I wouldn't want them to ride him.

If I had a straight forward little horse who I just wanted schooling (if I wasn't able to put the time in myself, for example), I could have it done for £20 for 45 mins.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I school two horses for nothing. Do it because I enjoy it and dont have a horse atm. Third horse i school as I will be competing him (different owners).

ISHmad

Visit site
My RI charges £30 a lesson or for schooling and is worth every penny. Sometimes I have the whole lesson, sometimes I ride for most of it then she will pop on to work on something specific and leave us with 'homework'. And very occasionally I will ask her to school for the whole session.

muffinmunsh

Visit site
Mine get schooled once a week by my trainer. £20 each horse for 1/2 h if she tack up, less if you can be there to tack up. My sharers and I all have lessons with her, so I guess we are all working to the same textbook. We have been doing this for 7 mths now and both horses are doing very well on the routine.