how much

Tempi

Visit site
sorry guys, but just found this and wondered how much you lot would pay for it!!!

Very attractive 16.2hh 5 year old bay gelding by Olympic Ferro

Qualified Prelim Summer Regionals 2006 and Pony Club National Dressage Championships 2006

Competing successfully at Novice level with 10 BD points in few outings

Showing excellent potential over coloured fences and cross country jumps

100% box, shoe, clip, hack - Brilliant temperament

Straightforward and easy horse that will go far

I know price but i think its way over what it should be.........

Tempi

Visit site
really???? i wouldnt!!! the asking is £14k-id pay around £10k, its only doing prelim at 5 it should be doing elementary level if its going to be worth the money in the long run!! (well thats my view!)

vic07

Visit site
its the breeding and potential. sorry.

some mature quicker than others..... prefer a baby not to be rushed to have it doing what is expected at a certain age!

Tempi

Visit site
i see where you are coming from, but my trainer has a beautiful expceptionaly well bred 5yr old for sale thats doing shoulder in/leg yield/half pass/simple changes - and its only £8.5k....... also 10 points isnt much in a few outings.

vic07

Visit site
people would happily pay more if it was coming from Holland or Germany. Or is that my cynical opinion?

People can ask what they want, you can make an offer and it is up to them to accept, negotiate or be offended!

But if it has the movement then it will be more expensive as it has potential to be an advanced horse! Know a grand prix horse which was imported as a 3y.o for £50k as it had the potential for grand prix. Dressage seems to attract silly money...... its why I've bred 2!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I think prices for horses are getting too expensive, there is no way i could afford what i want. It was bad enough 3 years ago!!

i would pay the same as you P_G.

If it was that good would it not also have qualified for Novice regionals as well and be working elementary.

Alibear

Visit site
I think the price is cheep , it's ovbiously not been over produce and not pushed to far to young which is hard to find now a days.

With a good temperament I'd be expecting it to be £20k plus considering what you see in the horse and hound each week.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There is little doubt that people ask ridiculous money for horses these days...they quote the potential of each horse they are selling. You can't always take that into account. If favored breeding was a guarantee of breeding a dressage 0r show jumping star then everyone would own a Milton or Escapardo. It isn't an exact science and as you can see in the few posts here peoples ideas of value ranges from £10k to £20k. Don't be afraid to put in the offer that you believe is fair....what is the worst that can happen...they can say no thanks.....but they may say yes. When I bought my lad out of H&H I got a 20% reduction in the price without any difficulty. Put in an offer, what can you lose?
Go for it & good luck & don't forget to get it vetted.

i would pay that for any five year old that:
- is well bred
- well put together
- has excellent movement
- has good trainability

TBH with a five year old my main focus would be where it can go from this point on.

I wouldn't expect a five year old to be competing above novice........though i would expect it to be working elem/med for the young horse classes (you don't say if it's only working novice aswell??). However this is very dependant on where your getting it from - if a professional/serious amateur then i would expect the above (and question why it has only gained 10 points in a few outings)
BUT this horse seems to be from an amatuer (the fact it has done the pony club nat dress champs tells me this) and so i would litteraly just be looking at potential and not bother about it's record - the fact it's education is not very advanced is prob more to do with being with an amateur than the horses ability.
In fact my guess is that if its a quality horse that has been brought on slowly but correctly, a more serious rider could get it up to elem/med level very quickly!!!

piaffe

Visit site
Olympic Feroo *swoon*!
grin.gif