how much?

gnubee

Visit site
Hiya, am trying to decide between two horses at the moment and was wondering if people who have more experience with youngstock could give me an idea of what a reasonable price on them would be:
Colt yearling to make 15.2-15.3, feet not in excellent condition atm (lots of cracks), by grand prix stallion out of mare with some bsja experience / winnings but not spectacular
or
Filly yearling to make 15.2, by same stallion out of similar quality mare. Feet are much better than the colt's.

Gomer

Visit site
I guess well bred youngsters cost quite a bit but not sure what the price range you are looking at for yearlings bred to jump in the 15-16hh range...

gnubee

Visit site
I would prefer not to give out the breeding online at the moment, cos I reeealy want at least one of them and I don't think the stallion has been used much yet, so I dont want someone with more money than me to find them and make offers first. Both mares were well bred warmbloods, but one won about £600 BSJA then had to stop due to injury, and the other was sold as a broodmare with roughly the same winnings aged 6 and hasnt done anything since, so in summary theyre well bred but fairly unproven.
The colt's hooves seem to be grass cracks rather than sand cracks, but there are quite a lot of them, not just one or two. The hooves are white which I guess makes them weaker, and I dont think he's seen a farrier recently (or possibly even ever). The hooves also seem quite overgrown at the moment which seems to emphasise the fact that his pasterns are slightly too slopey (or possibly that is the reason they are overgrown in the first place).

Gomer

Visit site
lol.... fair enough
blush.gif
)

Dogbetty141

Visit site
It also depends on there temprament to. Go for the one that you like the most problems with feet can be resloved in time. My TB has bad feet but with time they are getting better.

Although what do you mean by grass cracks? is that just dry feet?

gnubee

Visit site
They both seem to have really good tempraments, so I think perhaps that comes from the sire. Very similar stage of development, not handled much or used to headcollars but even without one they stood with me in the field and let me touch them, and the mare even let me pick her feet up.

By grass cracks I meant from the bottom up, rather than from the top down, which I had always understood to be less serious. It could just be dry feet, but Im really not sure. If I got him Im sure Ithere will be lots more posts about ways to improve hoof condition.

His paces seem a bit better than hers I think, although they arent spectacular. Hers arent bad, but nothing to write home about.

The problem is that they both seem to have fairly equal advantages and disadvantages (his paces and extra bit of height v. poor hooves and possibly legs), (her height and paces v. good hooves and conformation) so I was hoping that one might be worth a noticable amount more than the other which would help me to decide.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
If they are essentially the same I would ask the question what do you intend to do with them? A mare that has good conformation, temp and breeding will make a good brood mare in the future which may add a little more to her value. I take it you would have the colt cut? Then this may also be reflected in his value.
Personally I would go with the mare, grass cracks in a young horse may be something and nothing and easily rectified, or may be indicative of poor hoof quality/nutrition and lead to lamenss problems in the future. My mantra when buying horses is not to buy anything with health issues! There are plenty of nice horses out there that are healthy - why buy yoursef problems? No idea on value without knowing breeding or seeing them.

Tempi

Visit site
id definately get the filly - imo how ever young a horse is something with bad feet would really put me off. also if there is problems with the filly in later life (like permenant lameness etc) then you can always breed with her. Id say around £2000 for her tho. But as you havent said what the breeding is its really hard to tell.

ETS - you cant tell for definate how big either are going to turn out, you never know the filly might turn out bigger than expected and the colt smaller.

mitchellk

Visit site
I agree with Parisienne_Girl good conformation and temperament is in my opinion incredibly important. Poor feet and leg conformation could lead to alot of problems further down the road, esp when you start ridden work.
Difficult to tell with some foals size wise the colt could have had a recent growth spurt, the filly could well catch up. its a good idea to look at the size of the dams as well as the stallion to give you an idea.