How Not To Transport An Injured Rider...

hihosilver

Visit site
looks horrific- can't imagine why anyone would post this. Pony looks clearly terrified and also looks like its having to carry a big weight. Abuse to animals comes to mind....

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I saw this on Reddit a couple of days ago and was laughing so hard I nearly wet myself. If you've got any sense you could see it wasn't going to work the way they were going to do it and once on the pony you could see the pony wasn't happy before they moved. I feel for the pony but it is so funny.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I though it was funny too. The pony certainly showed them he wasn't going to be messed with. He wasn't terrified, once he'd got rid of the stupid contraption, he stopped and settled quietly. It was probably the same reaction you'd get if you were daft enough to try and rug a horse in a windy field.

npage123

Visit site
I'm guessing this was done during a first-aid type demonstration with a live audience? But judging from the pony's reaction, it seems as if this was the first time ever that he has been made to carry a board and dummy on his back... What were they trying to achieve by doing this? To make you think outside the box if you've got to deal with an injured rider on a trial ride, miles away from civilization, and the horse is the only method of transport?

I wonder if ponies/horses which are used to pulling a carriage would be easier to train to accept what's happening in the video, than riding horses.

windand rain

Visit site
Some RDA horses carry stretchers so yes they could have used a trained pony I think you would probably get away with it with a deer trained Highland pony too. You could do it with my old girl as long as nothing rustled she is terrified of plastic bags the kids often lie along her back and lead each other about

JFTDWS

Visit site
Some RDA horses carry stretchers so yes they could have used a trained pony I think you would probably get away with it with a deer trained Highland pony too. You could do it with my old girl as long as nothing rustled she is terrified of plastic bags the kids often lie along her back and lead each other about

I wonder if the movement of the stretcher - it bounces a bit - is what's upsetting the horse. Deer saddles / kids playing on ponies have a lower centre of gravity and move less independently. But I do suspect some horses would be fine with it, particularly with a bit of training.

I also don't think the horse was any more terrified, or behaved any more excessively than some ridden horses do in response to certain stimuli. It's not ideal, and it's not good training - but I do think there is something vaguely comic in the face planting of the dummy.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm guessing this was done during a first-aid type demonstration with a live audience? But judging from the pony's reaction, it seems as if this was the first time ever that he has been made to carry a board and dummy on his back... What were they trying to achieve by doing this? To make you think outside the box if you've got to deal with an injured rider on a trial ride, miles away from civilization, and the horse is the only method of transport?

I wonder if ponies/horses which are used to pulling a carriage would be easier to train to accept what's happening in the video, than riding horses.

Given that the major reaction was when the audience clapped I wonder if it wasn't the first time but the atmosphere was too much on top.

SpringArising

Visit site
Hilarious! And yawn at those saying this is animal abuse and the 'pony is terrified' - have you never had an incident with a horse then? If it was that terrified it wouldn't have come back to a halt after a few bucks. It was annoyed at the cinch strap that's all.

SpringArising

Visit site
I also don't think the horse was any more terrified, or behaved any more excessively than some ridden horses do in response to certain stimuli.

I took my horse to a show the other weekend - he became really wound up when the crowd started clapping, and took off bucking for a few minutes in the warm up ring. I bet no one looked on and said 'Poor pony, that's animal abuse!' when that happened, so why anyone would say the same thing for this is a mystery.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I took my horse to a show the other weekend - he became really wound up when the crowd started clapping, and took off bucking for a few minutes in the warm up ring. I bet no one looked on and said 'Poor pony, that's animal abuse!' when that happened, so why anyone would say the same thing for this is a mystery.

Rather different in strapping something unusual to a pony. Perhaps you suffer with lack of perception?

Hilarious! And yawn at those saying this is animal abuse and the 'pony is terrified' - have you never had an incident with a horse then? If it was that terrified it wouldn't have come back to a halt after a few bucks. It was annoyed at the cinch strap that's all.

Plenty of incidents, but not one I'd caused by being extremely thoughtless.

Rather condescending SA, whilst everyone is entitled to their opinions, try not to belittle ones that dont correspond to yours. Thanks :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Were you smacking him on the arse with a metal stretcher at every stride?

SpringArising

Visit site
Rather different in strapping something unusual to a pony. Perhaps you suffer with lack of perception?

Plenty of incidents, but not one I'd caused by being extremely thoughtless

Ah yes, because a ring full of people riding a bunch of fight or flight animals over fences is totally normal...

Oh OK. So you've had plenty of incidents but none of them were caused by you. Sounds probable :D

redredruby

Visit site
Ah yes, because a ring full of people riding a bunch of fight or flight animals over fences is totally normal...

Oh OK. So you've had plenty of incidents but none of them were caused by you. Sounds probable :D

Oh give over......what a ridiculous analogy. Horses are prepared before they are taken into a ring - does this horse look prepared to you? That is what people are commenting on. The fact that this horse looked stressed from the beginning of the demonstration.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would have read the reactions of the horse and stopped / altered the demonstration.