How often do you clean your tack?

my 4 wheel drive does about

• Total voters

pocket

Visit site
Just curious about how often everyone cleans their tack? I'm a bit of a obsessive compulsive, so probably do it a couple of times a week and have special bridles for shows, so in theory, they shouldn't need cleaning as often
grin.gif

Couldn't get in my poll as I'm not that clever
crazy.gif

But what do you use for cleaning ie: glycerin or something like Jeffries leather care.

I use liquid glycerin soap and Jeffries, treating it as necessary with neats foot oil? Any tips to share
wink.gif

pottamus

Visit site
Well I have a synthetic saddle so that just gets a wipe over when needed, perhaps once a fortnight because it never gets dirty as such. My bridle is a Libbys endurance one so that just gets thrown in the washing machine once a week! Fab and easy! Other than that I wipe his bit over after riding. Simple!
smile.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
Tee hee - my exercise bridle hasn't been cleaned since...March. Its so horrible though, imported leather, that you really can't tell.
Hunting bridle is cleaned everytime it is used.
I use fairy liquid and hot water to clean my tack, then put saddle soap on normally. Now and then that stinky stuff..mmm...in the brown tub. Effax??
I chuck numnah and girth in the washer fairly often and clean my saddle before and after hunting, but never apart from that...
blush.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
its gets wiped over with saddle soap once a week, then oiled once a month (less if I really dont think it needs it)

OOO and if my tack gets rained on a clean it properly straight away

helenandshadow

Visit site
I clean my show bridle everytime it's used (about once a fortnight), my everyday bridle i try to clean once a week but usually it's when it's really dirty and i feel guilty, my saddle gets cleaned the same amount as my everyday bridle plus before a show.
I use glycerine spray saddle soap (it's so much easier), and occasionally use jefferies leathercare on my bridles.

Parkranger

Visit site
Clean it every week and then take it all apart and properly clean it once a month. Change the saddlecloth once a week...... ;-)

Tempi

Visit site
once a week and it gets a good clean before a competition. I wash the bit everyday after use tho, i really think its horrid when people dont clean their horses' bits after riding.

Parkranger

Visit site
I know it's revolting that people put a bit back in the horses mouth all covered in spit etc......I'm sure they would wash their cutlery!

Claireg9

Visit site
Well not nearly enough is my answer! Im sorry because i know is hould do it more but normally about once a month which also coincides with me feeling guilty that its so dirty.. Like now! Must do it this weekend!
I use warm water with fairy up liquid, tack everything apart completely, then use saddle soap, and oil if neccesarry. Put it all back together fairy my wool numnah before rinsing and covering in hair conditioner, then put it in washing machine on a cool wash with stain remover, comes out fluffy and bright! I will change numnahs as often as they need doing though even if i dont clean the rest!
As to the bits being put back in there mouth dirty.. i have to say (GUILTY) I also think its gross but dont always remember to do it. Its one of those things i have failed to put into my routine so it gets forgot, this has jogged my memory though so will try to put it back into my routine and never forget!

Feel like a bad bad mummy now
blush.gif

Alibear

Visit site
I get what you mean but then I don't stick my nose in other peoples poo and snuffle through the dirt so what's yucky to me isn't necessarily yucky to my horse.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
once a week and it gets a good clean before a competition. I wash the bit everyday after use tho, i really think its horrid when people dont clean their horses' bits after riding.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I always clean my bit after use and all the horses and ponies at the riding schools bits are cleaned after use, I did go on a riding holiday once where they seemed shocked when I asked where I cleaned the bit!

FiveFlory

New User
Visit site
The worst thing I know is when the leather gets sticky from using too much leather conditioner.. Its disgusting to touch it and it gets dirty even faster.
I guess I should clean my tack more often, I usually only clean it when it has been raining on it and its muddy, and of course if we're going to compete.
I use either stübbens leather soap or Veredus spray leather soap. Then I use Fréderic Butet leather conditioner.