How often do you event?

J_sarahd

Visit site
I am hoping to get a couple of DCs at 70 under my belt for the remainder of this season (I know it’s very late to start) before a winter of training before hopefully progressing to 80 sometime next year. So I am trying to get as many runs as I can before the season ends.

But finding 70cm odes near me is difficult. So I have two planned for September (if I can get transport for one of them) but my issue is that Aston is 4th Sept and Solihull or Swalcliffe is on 11th! For a beginner, is that asking too much of him?

Plus, we are going to Wimpy Camp in September (if anyone’s going too let me know) so should I just aim for one of them?

My problem is when I have a goal, I go full pelt at it!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I would probably do that, it’s only 70cm so not asking a huge amount of a relatively fit horse, especially if they’re relatively local to you and the ground is relatively good. I will fairly often take mine out 2-3 weekends a month to hunt/compete. When I had a very fit horse I’d quite happily hunt on a Saturday and compete (though usually dressage/hunter trials) on the Sunday.

Also I’ll see you at wimpy camp in September ? the weekend one at Pickering Grange?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Perfect, thanks! That makes sense. He can do 70 in his sleep, just need to get more established at that height before challenging him a bit more. If people don’t think I am crazy for thinking of doing it then I will go for it.

Yes!! I’m really excited. It’s our first camp.

Roxylola

Visit site
I did last Saturday and another this Saturday coming - both 80s. I don't see an issue with it at that level - if I had 2 weeks between he'd be doing a long fast hack at weekend for fitness anyway

Jango

Visit site
I think it's fine if your horse is fit enough and the ground is good ☺️ But if the ground is looking to be very hard/deep. I would also consider what you need to train for. E.g. if the dressage is good you could do a 1 ODE plus one SJ/XC round (like the summer series at kelsall). If it's the XC you need the most practise do 1 ODE and a session of XC schooling etc. I'm planning to do 2 X BE80s in September to finish my season, they are two weeks apart and like a previous poster said I'll do some fast work on the middle weekend to keep fitness up. Good luck!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Thanks guys! I think I will then - just need to find transport for Aston as my boyfriend usually drives but he’s got a stag do on Friday so won’t be up for it!! Or I could do Smallwood on Sunday

Michen

Visit site
Mine has done 2 in a row, then a weekend camp, then another this weekend. He will then have the rest of august hacking and won’t event again until 3rd September (also aston) followed by swalcliffe the weekend after.

I prefer doing the close together then having breaks actually.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I prefer to run a few quickly then have a break. I find you improve more, have better consistency and the horse goes better.

Leandy

Visit site
You should be able to do that easily. It is only 70 so should not be too much wear and tear. Hunters hunt weekly or more!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Thanks guys! I will see if I can get someone to come with to Aston and then enter Solihull when the entries open and not stress too much about it!