How often do you jump outside comps, especially with older horses?

Pidgeon

Visit site
I've never jumped a great deal at home, just the odd session or lesson, certainly never more than once a week tops. Its mainly XC schooling or farm rides on a weekend when not competing.
However last year and this I have cut down a little as am conscious he is getting older and he does have arthritis in his off hind hock.
However the less jumping I do the keener he gets when I do jump :rolleyes: so would you be inclined to do a little more so he settles or just put up with his enthusiasm when we do?
Fresh cherries on offer :D

Lolo

Visit site
With my old horse (who was 21-27 when I had him) we almost never jumped outside of competitions. He knew his stuff, I knew he'd jump, and if we did stuff at home it just ended in tears because he knew it didn't matter and would tit about :D

snooples

Visit site
With my older horse last year he was going competing at RC 90's ODE.
He was in work from start of June to end of September and maybe jumped 7 times in that time, 3 times in comps, one was at a training night and the other times at home.

He jumped double clear in all his events so it definately didnt cause an issue.

As long as the enthusiasm isnt affecting you negatively id leave him be

Pidgeon

Visit site
Ah well his enthusiasm is overflowing shall we say and he is getting rather keen! Trouble is he knows his job and is quite happy jumping its just the less I do the more enthusiastic he gets :eek:

blackhor2e

Visit site
Exactly what Lolo says, mine is 12 and to be honest practice at home just increases his 'tit about' behaviour. He knows his job, if it goes wrong at a competition I just go to a few more until the problem is solved :)

anna22

Visit site
My 19yo jumps once a week at most... occasionally twice in a competition week but then I wont jump the following week.
I think I'm lucky with mine, he's very very low milage (did nothing but eat grass from 12-18) for his age and is sound as a pound.