how often do you ...

JessPickle

Visit site
ok some people may think its awful but never, specially since a horse at my yard suddenly had an awful reaction after having his done. In the wild no one cleans them so why do them now

mat

www.atmosphere-equestrian.com
You dont get geldings in the wild lol!

The problem is that Stallions lubricate themselves when they get randy and do naughty things, thats why vets advise geldings are washed as they dont make the same type of lubricant stuff and it can become hard and uncomfortable in there.

I would only use warm water to get the worst off to avoid a reaction.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
ok here gose i do archies everytime i wash him off, which is pretty much every time i have ridden him... i dont propper scrub it but i give it a wipe round the outside and make sure there is no mud up there! i just think it would be awful to feel dirty there!

cosmo_sam

www.cosmohorse.com
I do have a squiz when it's dangling though!
laugh.gif

(god what a thread!!
laugh.gif
)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh well that's fine. What you need to avoid is putting soap on his sheeth as this can affect the natural bacteria that live there. A wash with warm water every now and again is fine.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh well that's fine. What you need to avoid is putting soap on his sheeth as this can affect the natural bacteria that live there. A wash with warm water every now and again is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I can definetly agree with that these sheath cleaners sounds fine and good but a horse at my yard had a reaction to it making him really unconfortable

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My shettie is very itchy so when i rub hos belly he dangles it out so i give it a quick wash with warm water sometimes with a little bit of baby oil in as this helps all the crusty bits fall off and it stays really clean, he enjoys it!
blush.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
When it is looking particularly scummy and it comes out to say hello, I'll give it a wash off with warm water - but I wouldn't use any soap or cleaner on it. .

Loopy_laura

Visit site
i dont use anything like that sometimes its smelly and hard so i use aquas cream stuff to soften it first, but normally only warm water! i think my horse has the cleanest willy in the world!!

lexiedhb

Visit site
I dont know if its an old wives tale but, a friend of mine used to swear by squirting a bit of baby oil up there, this loosened the "crud" (that nasty black hard stinky stuff) and so it would just fall off naturally! I'd of tried it myself if my old gelding had ever let me near enough!!

KatB

Visit site
Baby oil gets squirted on it when he dangles it, but thats not very often!! In fact dont think G has ever had it done. Leave alone unless noticeably grim!

erg4862

Visit site
Used to do it every time but after using a hackamore for a few years usually forget unless the bit looks really gross. Can't say I have ever seen a problem caused by not washing a bit.

katiejaye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Used to do it every time but after using a hackamore for a few years usually forget unless the bit looks really gross. Can't say I have ever seen a problem caused by not washing a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got the wrong end of the stick
crazy.gif
Think she meant private "bits" of a gelding if you catch my drift
confused.gif

Jellicle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad someone else made the same mistake as me! I was thinking "well, stick it in the dishwasher every few weeks!"

filly190

Visit site
When I have owned gedlings, I have always left them well alone and let nature take its course. People washing them, can often cause problems. Unless of course there is a problem with your horses bits and bobs, I would be inclined to leave it.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL, sorry thats really funny didn't even come into my head about bridle 'bits'.
grin.gif
grin.gif

erg4862

Visit site
Oh dear, think I could do with going back to bed! Try and stay away form those bits now since one horse enjoyed having it done far too much! Stick with mares now.