How often do your horses lose shoes?

Annagain

Visit site
I can count on the fingers of one hand how often mine have lost shoes in the last 10 years but its seems as soon as a horse is for sale, they start to lose them right left and centre:rolleyes:. 6 times now, I've had viewings lined up only for horses to "lose a shoe" the day before and the viewing cancelled. On 5 of these occasions the horses have then been sold before I could get to see them, even though I've arranged to see them the day after (or even the day in one case) they're supposed to be being shod. I know the one was genuine as you could see the marks in his hoof where he'd pulled off the shoe but it's pretty obvious the other horses have been sold subject to vetting and rather than tell me that, the sellers are putting me off in case the horse fails the vet - which I can guarantee they wouldn't tell me either, they'd just let me spent ££££ on a vetting hoping for a different outcome or hope I don't want to vet. I hate hate hate this horse shopping.

No point to this really. Just so fed up how dishonest people are.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I would be happy to be told. I had a horse vetted at the beginning of the year (he was 6 hours from me so I couldn't be there for the vetting). Vet called me and said horse had lost a shoe (they did all the checks in the stable and as he walked out vet noticed it). Seller was adamant the vetting should continue, vet said no chance. Seller said yes, and proceeded to trot horse up on hard surface, horse was slightly lame, vet said, again, no chance and called me!

Fun times!

My gelding never lost a shoe in 2.5 years and my mare lost one shoe in 3 years.

I would take it as the universe giving you a sign that its not the right horse :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
How frustrating for you OP.
Like you mine rarely lose a shoe (touches wood frantically). I can only remember one in the last 5 years. But they are all on a regular shoeing interval which helps.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
Bobby use to loose his shoes regularly! Literally at LEAST once in-between shoeing! Thankfully now with a fab farrier his feet are so much better and hardly ever looses one, cant actually remember the last time he did....*touch wood*

AUB

Visit site
All the effin’ time! My stupid mare has only gone 1 whole six-weekend period since Christmas 2018 without losing a shoe. One!
That is what you get with a flashy/crazy dressage horse with huuuge overtrack...

Follysmum

Visit site
One of mine has never lost a shoe in nearly 19yrs the rest hardly ever maybe 1 every few years. I do have 1 horse on particular that will lose at least a couple each year. He does tank around a lot

flying_high

Visit site
My current horse lost a shoe the weekend was trying him for second time at old owners. It was a hind, we carried on without it, and he was fine in the school. I think farrier called in and popped it back on before we hacked out, as part of trialling new horse. He was then vetted on the Monday, after 16 hours in stable, at 2 degrees (cold lorry sleeping!) and passed flexions and trotting on a circle on concrete in the morning.

And has mostly not been in work the last 2 years since I've owned him. It is a such a minefield, and so hard to judge.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
How annoying.. maybe a excuse?

When I had a poor farrier it was weekly, now I've got a good farrier I have used for 6 years I think between both of them they've lost 1 shoe in the last 2 years.

crazyandme

Visit site
Reg had a period of losing his almost weekly earlier this year :rolleyes: Always the same back foot. No ones fault, just the weather meant the foot was even weaker than usual, and when he stood on it and pulled it off, a big chunk of foot went as well leaving almost nothing to attach another shoe to. It was a big part of the reason I had his backs taken off, I was getting fed up of seeing the farrier weekly!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Granny horse lost 2 in 8 years. The Beast hasn't lost one yet. MrT lost one as soon as he arrived, so 1 in 1 month so far.

Ex-racer... his record was 3 in a week. We had him 18 months and I lost count of his total!

scats

Visit site
Current horses are barefoot but I did have a sports horse who was the king of losing shoes. He would average at least one every 5 weeks, despite wearing over reach boots and farrier keeping the shoes fairly close at the back. But he was an idiot in the field and when you witnessed his antics, it really was no wonder they came off constantly.

Alibear

Visit site
Daisy when only shod in front was a master of this 3 different farriers and you rarely got to 5 weeks with both fronts still on. Then had her shod behind as well and she didn't lose one again!
She's now unshod as a broodmare so one less thing to worry about. I never realised shoeing behind could help with them losing shoes in front but the farrier was confident and right as ever.
She was especially good at losing them the night before camp or a show. This picture is a regular in my Facebook memories :D
horse lost shoe.jpg

catembi

Visit site
My ex-racer practically never had 4 shoes on at once, then every time he lost one he was hopping lame and then had a bruised foot for a week after it got put back on. Then we went barefoot, and once he'd transitioned he was super-sound and we did everything barefoot! Jumping, hacking, roadwork etc...and no more missing riding all the time from lost shoes. All four of mine are barefoot now :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I can count on the fingers of one hand how often mine have lost shoes in the last 10 years but its seems as soon as a horse is for sale, they start to lose them right left and centre:rolleyes:. 6 times now, I've had viewings lined up only for horses to "lose a shoe" the day before and the viewing cancelled. On 5 of these occasions the horses have then been sold before I could get to see them, even though I've arranged to see them the day after (or even the day in one case) they're supposed to be being shod. I know the one was genuine as you could see the marks in his hoof where he'd pulled off the shoe but it's pretty obvious the other horses have been sold subject to vetting and rather than tell me that, the sellers are putting me off in case the horse fails the vet - which I can guarantee they wouldn't tell me either, they'd just let me spent ££££ on a vetting hoping for a different outcome or hope I don't want to vet. I hate hate hate this horse shopping.

No point to this really. Just so fed up how dishonest people are.

is 17 hands too big? there is one in merthyr tydfil on horsemart who looks nice ..... you are the one in cardiff i think....if not oops!!!!

Annagain

Visit site
is 17 hands too big? there is one in merthyr tydfil on horsemart who looks nice ..... you are the one in cardiff i think....if not oops!!!!
I've seen him, he was very sweet but very over-bent and had obviously been going like it for a long time so it would have taken too long to sort him out. He also absolutely tanked at fences. I don't think he would have stopped as he seemed to love it but the thought of him tanking and ducking out at the last minute wasn't a welcome one!

BethanT

Visit site
Possibly every two or 3 shoeing cycles for one of mine. That was until I removed him from the HUGE field with all the playful youngsters, placed him with my more sensible horse and put over reach boots on all round...

No he just loses them if his feet go really crumbly, which they don't now that he is on good feed and I use Silverfeet Balm on him, or if they get suctioned off in the Mud!