How often to clean muddy leather boots, how and with what?

jkitten

So this might rank as the daftest question ever posed on this forum, but I'm genuinely stuck. I wear waterproof Ariat paddock boots or Windemeres to ride and muck in around the yard, so obviously they are filthy once I get home. Do I clean them after every time, or is that bad for the leather/waterproofing? When I clean them is it best to do so while the muck is still wet, or should it be allowed to dry and then clean? What products are best?

I never used to give this as a second thought as a child, but now I have to pay for my own boots and don't have the excuse of outgrowing them, I want them to last!

M&M&G

I always rinse off mud when still wet, then leave to dry completely before applying dubbin or similar. This does mean having a rotation of boots if you wear every day but it does help them to last longer.

stangs

I wipe with a wet wipe (very carefully to not rub the mud in), then polish and add a waterproofing cream (don’t know what the correct terminology is), and that seems to be keeping the leather in good shape.

You don’t need to clean every time you use them, but even just getting most of the mud off quickly will help maintain the leather. Soles get done once a fortnight - again, just quick wet wipe helps keep them flexible (or so, I’ve been led to believe by the hiking community).