How old is too old? Driving horse

meleeka

Visit site
Would 21 be too old to bring a driving horse back into light work? The horse is a Freisian mare. She gets stiff when stabled but is great if kept out and has a joint supplement. I’ve recently bought her and thought she had a ridden loan home but She has now come back to me and I think she’d like something to do.

She’s done very little for a few years now, apart from being ridden occasionally on short hacks. I’ve no wish to ride her (she’s huge and bouncy!) but quite fancy driving her. She’s was a perfect driving horse a few years ago with previous owner although was only driven occasionally then.

Just a musing really.

meleeka

Visit site
Sounds ideal to keep her ticking over, and it's less strain on the joints than being ridden so win win imo!
I was wondering that, if it was ‘harder’ than being ridden. I’m pleased you don’t all think it would be too much for her. She probably wouldn’t tell me as she’s such a darling, so I just need to be extra careful with her I think.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
One of the horses in Boyd Excell’s team at Olympia this year is in her early-mid twenties (one of the leads I think) according to the commentators. Admittedly I’m sure all his horses are under exceptional management, but if she can be crushing the opposition at the highest level of international competition I’m sure yours could do the odd pootle out if brought back into work sensibly!