How old?

JadeWisc

Visit site
May be an ignorant question. Actually ,I am sure it is an idiotic question, but I really do not know the ans.
I have only geldings and have very minimal experience with mares or breeding for that matter. I am wondering at what age a filly comes into her first season, and, at what age is it possible for her to be bred. Mind you, I am not asking what age she should safely be bred, I am asking at what age it would be "possible" for a mistake to have happened.

Tia

Visit site
They generally start to come into season as yearlings. Usually anywhere between 11 and 19 months is usually the way it works. If there was to be a mistake at this age, there could be major complications for the filly delivering.

You aren't worried about your aunt's filly are you?

Tia

Visit site
Yes she could unless the owner was as aware as I am. I do run my mares with my stallion over the winter but as soon as spring comes and the seasons arrive, the mares and youngsters are taken out immediately.

Tia

Visit site
The complications could be the filly being in great distress on foaling - the foal having abnormalities - the filly having minor to major issues with her development - the foal could die - the filly could die.

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why wouldn't she?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure. As I said, no expert here.
My thoughts though tell me that she would be so underdevloped that she may have trouble.
I really doubt she is even that way, but good to look into it.She is a Shetland yearling my aunt is looking at for her kids.
I spoke to the lady today, and I was a little suprised to hear that she had her little herd of 10 all running with 2 studs. I was just curious,as I really know very little about breeding

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They generally start to come into season as yearlings. Usually anywhere between 11 and 19 months is usually the way it works. If there was to be a mistake at this age, there could be major complications for the filly delivering.

You aren't worried about your aunt's filly are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No Tia. She is for my aunt, but a different pony for her daughters. The other filly is only 3 weeks old

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The other filly is only 3 weeks old

[/ QUOTE ] Well she'll be safe!
cool.gif

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The other filly is only 3 weeks old

[/ QUOTE ] Well she'll be safe!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well thats good news!
smile.gif
lol
Did you happen to catch my post the other day? He signed the contract and all went very well. She has been moved into a safe pen with mom, and she was just a sweet little doll! He read it once and signed away! No problems whatsoever. Mom is so skinny though!(see post about "we are back" from Friday in soapbox for a pic) Peggy is taking the mother special feed and salt/mineral blocks on her own doing tomorrow. She tried to buy the momas well ,to get her and baby home right away, but the man refused.
crazy.gif
smirk.gif
one day at a time right?

Lord_Horatio_Nelson

Visit site
Yearlings have been known to be able to. There was a case a few years back where a TB yearling put another yearling in foal and he had to be registered as a sire with the General stud book.

Tia

Visit site
Yes I saw it and replied.....wonderful news!!!
smile.gif

A lot of stud colts are capable of breeding at an early age but they rarely do! Usually they won't try anything until they are yearlings thru 2 year olds.

JadeWisc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I saw it and replied.....wonderful news!!!
smile.gif

A lot of stud colts are capable of breeding at an early age but they rarely do! Usually they won't try anything until they are yearlings thru 2 year olds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are we both talking about the update one?? "we are back and we have pics" in soapbox? I know we talked about the contract, but if you didnt catch the lastest one I have more recent pics of her. I f you did then Iforgot that you replied
blush.gif
sorry
grin.gif
grin.gif