How on earth do we choose?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Normally it's actually pretty easy to choose which foals to keep and which to sell.
Not this year!
Lexie has to stay because she is the first one of that combination and we need to see what she turns out like to ensure they are worth breeding more of..
Oberon is so friendly and such a handsome chap, and moves nicely..
Callisto is even better than Obi with bigger bone.
Venus is so pretty and has the most uphill trot I've ever seen.
And Xena is well, stunning..

We sat in the car watching them this evening trying to decide who to keep, and failed to make any decision at all.
Definites have to be Xena and lexie, though she is the least quality foal of the lot.
But if she turns out half as good as Minstrel her dams full brother (who has already won two of his three County Show WH this year and was at Kent County in the Hunt relay if anyone saw it) she will be very trainable and easy to sell.
I have a soft spot for Venus as she is exquisite and should make a dressage horse.
I advertised Oberon a while back on horsemart and actually had a buyer, but I couldn't bear to think of him living on the Shetland Isles with no trees...
My solution is to keep them all, but that means until they are all at least three years old..
Decisions decisions! www.henryhorn.blogspot.com

Louby

Visit site
Rather you than me, I'd want to keep them all too.
If I had to make a decision though..........it would have to be Venus.
I loved the first photos of her. She is lovely.

BBs

Visit site
Sue which ever you decide not to keep can you just put them on a transporter and send them to me please. I dont mind having your cast off as their all amazing - very nice crop you have this year
smile.gif

Vxx

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
ha ha! I think I'd notice if one appeared at your yard..
The problem this year is all look pretty good, which isn't how it normally is at all..Most years we look and go "Yea, that one can go and that one.."
This year all of us are fighting over who stays, and initially I was disappointed with how bendy legged Venus was, but she was three weeks premature and has now virtually straightened up.. The Xena foal looked just ok then this evening it suddenly turned sideways and both CCJ and I let out a gasp, it is such good conformation, and a powerful neck already.
I suppose as I am cutting down on some of the retired horses I could keep more babies, the thought of trugging round the fields in the rain in my late sixties doesn't appeal so not accepting anymore horses.
RSuggit called today and it was gratifying to hear him say I was much younger than he expected (or he could have been flattering me), then again I have a tan and my streaks are done at the moment, that takes years off!
Mmmm perhaps keep them all this year then!

seabiscuit

Visit site
HH I would never have dreamed that you were late sixites!!! Thought you were about 15 years younger.

As for the foals- looking at their pics- all gorgeous- but Venus, Xena and Oberon all stand out a million miles for me!!

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I've admired your foals for awhile now HH. They are all stunning. Not an easy decision to make! I've admired Venus for awhile now, so do let me know if you can bear to part with her.
wink.gif

lisaward

Visit site
love all your babies ,i would keep them all but probably as i'm not good at the parting bit.
my favourites are venus-cause she reminds me of bea,my baby,
but i also like xena.
decisions eh !!

S_N

Visit site
You could sell 'em all now - after all the most profit is made when sold as foals. But then of course, you would know that!

Patches

Visit site
You know they'll all so different but equally as stunning so I can imagine it's a tough decision.

Someone suggested selling all the colts but I was wondering if (thinking long term here) you prefer to think ahead to geldings for ridden work (incase you keep any permanently) and maybe even a stallion of the future?

You must be aware that I have a special affection for Lexie, well more for Harmony her mummy in all honesty. However, I wondered if you would sell Lexie as I assumed you'd been hoping for a coloured. Although I do think I read right on one of the picture captions that you're thinking she may go blue and white, or is that just on her face? Thought you wanted a more prominent coloured like Minstrel is.

Love them all and after the awful year you had last year I can fully understand why you're loathe to part with any at all.

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
What a difficult but nice position to be in.

I think you need to think about why you want to keep each one.

What I mean is, are you keeping them to break and sell later, are you keeping them to compete and then breed from or if the colts are gelded, just purely for the family to compete.

If you don't want to increase numbers too much, are any of them better than the mares you have and then maybe you could let a mare or two go.
Obvious flaw in that plan is that as these foals are all so good, then obviously the mares are good producers and particularly with Chocolate.
Also, if you like to compete your mares before they retire to stud, the fillies are going to be a long time before they replace the mares sold.

As SN says, it is usually more ecconomical to sell them as weaned foals rather than to keep them and break them, but as you have a fair bit of land where they can run out they aren't going to cost a fortune to keep. Also, providing CCJ is staying around then it is not like you are having to send them out to be backed which eats into any profit.

You could advertise the 'maybe's and if suitable owners are found, let them go.

Or you could keep the lot and wait until they are backed before deciding.

There, with all my ramblings, I've not helped much have I?
blush.gif
grin.gif

Lovely pics of Monty on your blog btw.

Estriborsmum

Visit site
Just a quick question. Why would the fact there are no trees make you not want to sell to the Shetland Isles. I used to live their never bothered my horses!!!!!!!!!!

I think all your foals are lovely and would want to keep them all too.

bandit

Visit site
oh HH what a tricky situation....

As you say, you aren't taking any more retirement horses, so do have hte room and time for more youngsters, plus last year you did suffer with the loss of a few so I think perhaps this year, as they are all so stunning and different, you can affort to keep them all!

It will be interesting for you as some are new combo's too.

Good luck with them, and let us know what you do decide upon in the end!!!

Bxxx

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Well Sue, if I were you I'd be holding onto Venus for dear life
smile.gif
Love Lexie too, looks like she's going to grow quite big too....maybe a future broodmare for you?

I'd agree with everyone else too, this years crop of foals are all gorgeous, and just seem to get better.

Good luck choosing!

Bethxx