How opinionated about in/out

doodle

Visit site
Robin normally out apart from a couple of hours to ride/eat hay/feed in summer so out overnight. Night before last I left him in and wet and windy (no shelter in field at all) and he was delighted. Last night was still very windy but dry. He ate his tea, finished that and went to the haynets at back of box, started eating and gave me the “don’t even think about it look” so he stayed in. Today dry and less windy. Ate his tea, ignored hay and stood at door with the “well hurry up it’s time to go out” look. So out he went. He has me well trained!

Each spring he makes it clear when he wants to stay out overnight and enact autumn is equally as clear when he feels its time to come in at night again.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My horse is the same. If he doesn't want to go out, he turns around at the gate and waits for me to take him back to his stable. It's usually an indication of how much grass there is or isn't. His belly is now important than being with his mates. Currently he's happy to come in for breakfast and have a couple of hours standing in with his haynet. The fields got trashed over the wet winter and the clay soil hasnt been kind to the grass this year.

Foxychops

Visit site
My horse is the same!! Have just changed over to night time turn out. October time, by then back to day time t/o, he will start to pace fence even if only been out for 1o mins. That's when I know he wants in for winter. He is then in until March time when he starts to ask to go out for a short time!

Ceriann

Visit site
Mine will also tell me how they feel about being in. They are currently on a large but sheep grazed field and they love it so always want go out after a few hours in (to groom, feed and ride). The routine now is pretty much like clockwork - in, hay and small feed, i groom and ride red then leave them for an hour or two and they usually use it to snooze. They then hang over the doors pleading to go back out.