How quickly back into work?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Not sure where to put this one, here or Vet...

Some of you know my horse had his soft palate fired recently (please, no comments about it being brutal, it's better than suffocating every time he works...
smile.gif
) to try to sort out breathing problems when he works in an outline.

Obviously it's been very sore, he's lost a fair bit of weight (looking very trim for a Welshy ATM!) because he found it difficult to eat, ate nothing but bran mash for about 4 days. 2.5 weeks on and he's now eating normally, coughs occasionally, on wet hay.

I did 10 days of in hand walking work, as advised by the vet, and he's now back in ridden work. So far all we've done is walk round the school and hack out twice for about 30 mins. He had to have a good cough (I guess if it's sore, having a bit by his tongue could be causing a bit of irritation) friday and sat when ridden, but not today. He feels so well to ride, feels like a 15.2 not 14.2, and never feels this perky even when hunting... have had one little trot (he decided to, I didn't ask!) and it did make him cough a bit.

Question.. how quickly/fast do you think I should push him? Vet wants him kept as fit as possible, so I'm wondering how quickly to build up the work. I'm hoping he will tell me when enough is enough, but I'm worried about pushing to far too quickly and jeopardising him/the healing process. Any suggestions?

Nailed

Visit site
i would do another couple of weeks in walk building up to an hour of walk a day and maybe towards the end some small trots on flat surface. Then i would introduce harder, longer trot works and then the canter in around 6 weeks time.
Depends on your horse. When i bought Ted back, i let him decided when he wanted to trot and canter.
Lou x

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
That's more or less what I was thinking... problem is that if I left it to mine, he would trot all day long. He makes himself cough trotting and still wants to carry on, silly pony
smirk.gif

If I can manage to get out of work on time this week there should be enough light now to at least get round our short block (about 20 mins), then I can take him in the school after and gradually increase the amount we do in there.

Thanks
grin.gif