How soon after moving horse do you ride?

Cloud9

Visit site
As title really - had a very stressful day yesterday moving my horse. Finally made decision to better myself and move onto a yard with 3 schools (1 indoor and 2 outdoor), loads of nice horsey people who actually ride. I gave yard owner notice in the morning, who then verbally abused me for being selfish, as she needed my horse on her yard to keep hers company while on box rest - despite having a yard of 6 others she could choose from. I knew she was not going to take it well but never expected the abuse I got. So ended up just loading him there and then while still in his turnout rug and turning up on new fab yard in a right state looking like I had just pinched straight off someones field!!! It should never have been like that - I wanted to stay my notice and leave in a less stressful way. Best laid plans and all that............

He settled well in stable, but was very full of himself this morning, bucking, squealing and generally being a yob (and is usually so well mannered).

So how long to I give him to settle in before I ride? A week or just do it and start as I mean to go on!!

Girlracer

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse, but i moved Major yesterday morning, and went for a hack that afternoon and schooled this morning. He was more spritely than normal, but i'm just trying to maintain the same routine to be honest.

Cloud9

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse, but i moved Major yesterday morning, and went for a hack that afternoon and schooled this morning. He was more spritely than normal, but i'm just trying to maintain the same routine to be honest.

Well - done - thats great. Hope you move went a little better than mine!!! I think I might start tomorrow. I normally only get to ride at weekends so its not like he is in a weekly routine just yet - but I intend to do something with him at least 5 days a week.

TJP

Visit site
I had one delivered wed afternoon and rode an hour or so later. Last time I moved one to a friends yard I rode him there that day also. It sounds like you have had a horrid time, hope things look up for you now.

Girlracer

Visit site
Well - done - thats great. Hope you move went a little better than mine!!! I think I might start tomorrow. I normally only get to ride at weekends so its not like he is in a weekly routine just yet - but I intend to do something with him at least 5 days a week.

By the sounds of it yes it did! Yours sounds a little on the traumatic side, hope your both settling in now though.

Well if that's the case then just carry on as you were, my boy seems to of settled pretty well by maintaining his previous routine, but then he's pretty chilled about everything.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
often same day if not next day. If you went to a show you wouldn't expect to give the horse a few days to acclimatise ;)

Also by riding and following your normal routine as at previous yard can help them settle as its the same routine just different environment. The moment you start changing the routine you are going to unsettle them.

Riverboy

Visit site
I'd ridden the morning before I moved her at old yard, then went for a hack the next day from the new yard. I also rode her the day she came home when I bought her. I think it depends on the horse though, Bell is settled by regular work and used to going out to new places competing so it's not too much stress for her.

Cloud9

Visit site
Thanks all - well have made decision to ride tomorrow - even if only in the school. You are obviously all very experienced, I have never shown or done anything so it will be a big shock to me and him - but start as you mean to go I suppose. Wish me luck!!