how soon would you..

PinkFairy

Visit site
start riding a horse? i saw a piccie of a 2 year old bein ridden and i didn't know that horses could be broken in and backed that early i thought the usual stage was when they were 3 years old?
confused.gif

charlie76

Visit site
I would not start a horse until it was a mature 3 year old. You can groom them, pick feet, lead them etc at 2 but anything else is too much too young!

Jemayni

Visit site
Personally I like them to be broken when they just turn three, be turned away, then start work in the autumn.

But it is quite common for them to start that young, however Im not a fan because I do not think they are physically developed enough. But when you think about race horses they are backed very young and their heads/bodies cope well enough with it!

PinkFairy

Visit site
well the two year old was competing. i cant remember where i saw the pic but i was a bit shocked i didnt realise they could be started before they were 2/just after.

Honeybee

photobucket.com
“When I was young” I’m only 23 lol

My grandpa and i have broken in a cob at 2 and I hunted him, I was only 6 maybe 6 & half stone, 3 times he was great. We did give him a big break after.
The wee honey enjoy every min of itxx

Jemayni

Visit site
yea that is a bit weird to compete a 2yo, I don't really understand why you would want to do that, surely you buy a youngster to enjoy the growing up bit?

I dont really know when race horses are broke, I just know it is usually very young...

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I think the horse its self pays a big part... but god love to know how the got a horse to the stage (after lunging, introing saddle etc) at two and good enough to take to a show!! Mines five a still probs wont be ready next year now hes on hold with my borken ankle!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Where was it competing because I have never seen a ridden class open to anything under 4yrs except the performance classes. I have seen 2yr olds in harness, but that does not make it right. I do not believe in starting them before 3yrs which is my reply on the lunging of a 2yr old. Most horses are going to have a long life under saddle, so why not let them enjoy their baby hood. Our dog was not allowed to participate in agility before he was 1yr & certainly not encouraged to do any of the jumps for the same reason that his limbs were not strong enough. I do not think it helps when people see 3yr olds working as if they were 4/5 yr olds.