How thick is an Anky pad? Other strapless pad recommendations

Jesstickle

Visit site
I am sick of constantly threading and unthreading straps on my pads. How thick is an Anky pad? Currently I ride with a thin cloth and a prolite. I was wondering if I could switch to just one of these. Otherwise can anyone recommend any other strapless pads (doesn't need to be posh)?

I have thought about polypads but I think a regular polypad is going to be too much, has anyone got the performer one? Is it actually any thinner?

Malt loaf on offer in exchange for help but it isn't home made :p

FireFly29

Visit site
I bought a performer polypad at badminton and its the same thickness under the saddle but thinner under the flaps to reduce bulk.
Not used an Anky pad so can't personally comment on them.
:)

I_A_P

Visit site
I don't find them thick at all. I alternate between my anky pad and a hkm thin pad and don't finding difference.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Grr, that's annoying about the polypad as I was hoping it was a bit thinner all over :(

I_A_P, I saw a few people riding in them today and they looked thinner in the flesh than I was expecting. In my head they are almost as thick as a polypad, that's what got me wondering if they actually are thin after all. Do you find they actually stay put with no straps etc?

doratheexplorer

Visit site
Love my Anky pad, so far hasn't moved, but only used it for flatwork. Seen lots of photos of people jumping in them though, so I assume its pretty stable!

I_A_P

Visit site
Yeah they are not as thick as a polypad I wouldn't say. It doesn't move at all, it has riggled up a bit behind my saddle last few weeks but think that's more due to my saddle perhaps sitting ever so slightly low at the front.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I want it to go under my jumping saddle so it'll have to stay quite still. I have yet to find the dressage diva within sadly.

Maybe I'll try and find a second hand one as an experiment and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys :)

only_me

Visit site
I use a saddle shaped polypad under jumping saddle (have to use a thick one for jumping and a thin for dressage!) and it never moves - in fact am contemplating buying a white saddle shaped poly pad as i think they are better than the saddlecloths!

Befney3

Visit site
I have a dressage cut & a jumping cut Anky pad. They're a nice thickness & mine never moved under either saddle. I love my yellow jumping pad.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I didn't know the le mieux ones existed so thanks for that :)

K- which ecogold one would I be looking at? It's a bit baffling. If there is one that would take the place of my saddle cloth AND my prolite I'd be tempted to splash out as having a pad is a pain but pony likes the extra squish!

kit279

Visit site
I actually really like the Anky Pads - they stay put, they aren't too thick but not too thin, the horses don't sweat under them and since I bought some, I've pretty much abandoned all my other saddlecloths.

kerilli

Visit site
I didn't know the le mieux ones existed so thanks for that :)

K- which ecogold one would I be looking at? It's a bit baffling. If there is one that would take the place of my saddle cloth AND my prolite I'd be tempted to splash out as having a pad is a pain but pony likes the extra squish!

i've just got my mitts on the Coolfit one (like this but with the diagonal sides, doesn't seem to be on the website yet)
https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info.php?products_id=135

and it's fabulous. has removable memory foam pads (which I can't see myself ever removing, it is PERFECT). doesn't move a mm, just loops at the bottom to thread girth through as you do it up. tbh i am going to sell all my other saddlepads and numnahs and just use these and the Secure pads now.
i did try their Triple Protection half pad and found it a bit too thick for my N/M saddle (same with the Ogilvy half pad) so tried the Coolfit, which I cannot fault. lots of exhaustive testing done already! ;) ;)

Jesstickle

Visit site
I've just realised the ecogold ones and the Anky ones have girth loops. Reckon I might be going for the le mieux one for day to day. I really am that lazy :p

Might be tempted by an ecogold one for smart though, I like the shape of the half numnah, half saddle clothy ones. I'm assuming they're washable?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
The LeMieux ones are nice, however I would describe them as being thicker than a standard polypad. Remember that polypads do come in several different thicknesses (standard, plus one, and the doubler) I use the plus one polypad on my horses, as the standard (to me) really is quite a thin pad (especially once it has been washed a few times!)

Jesstickle

Visit site
polypads aren't thin you crazy racing person. It's because you're used to felt pads that you think that :p (said as another crazy racing person I hasten to add!)

I'm refusing to go back to polypads as I literally just sold all mine and I don't want to have to eat humble pie and admit that was a terrible mistake :eek:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I swear on my life that the LeMieux one is definitely thicker than a standard polypad, lots of people at my yard have the LeMieux, and it is the same thickness as my plus one polypads.

On the other hand, I really like the Anky pads I have seen, and those are a little bit more slimline.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I swear on my life that the LeMieux one is definitely thicker than a standard polypad, lots of people at my yard have the LeMieux, and it is the same thickness as my plus one polypads.

*Sticks fingers in ears and goes la la la *

Ok, I need to see one in the flesh before I buy one don't I?

Ffw- that looks nice, I like sheepy things :)

Vickijay

Visit site
I jump in my anky pads all the time and they don't move. They arnt overly thick (thinner than polypad, bit thicker than normal cotton numnah) and have no straps at all.

I just bought an ecogold pad which seems super grippy but loads of straps, I'm almost tempted to cut them off but it was pretty pricey and I wouldn't want to make it unusable!

MCTM

Visit site
Shadowhorse sell the Ogilvy pads which are thin and non-slip, I have the "Baby" pads which are only £30, I chose ones with girth loops but they did have them with no straps at all. They only come in black and white though I think so no matchy-matchy! They do have other styles too.

Dusty85

Visit site
Does anyone have any experiences with Premier Equine Buster Pads?
They look very similar to poly pads/ lemieux work pads but wondered what peoples thoughts are?

Abbeygale

Visit site
I'm a lemieux work lad fan here! :). Really nice, not to thick, washes well and has never moved. I actually have 2 now ;)

The PE pad is ok - but is a bit too like the poly pads for my liking.

The Lemieux pad has a waffle underside, which seems to keep them in place well and also keeps my mare cooler. The flat surface of the PE pad definitely makes her much more sweaty.

dafthoss

Visit site
I have one you can fondle if your about near me any time soon?

I'd say its thinner than my poly pad but thinker than my thinnest cotton ones. Sort of the same as a thick cotton one. It doesn't move under my saddle even when we do fast work with it on and it's great as he doesn't sweat under it. Oh and I use it with a prolite at the moment as well.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
I agree with Kerilli, EcoGold all the way. Anky and PE Buster pads all slipped under my saddle. Poly pad didn't but were too think. Haven't used the thick LeMieux ones, but the thin one with straps slid under my saddle.
Mally goes differently when she doesn't have an EcoGold pad on, she is far more mare-ish, so we have two everyday and two competition ones and sold everything else to pay for them. :D