How things can change in just 6 months

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Not sure if anyone remembers my post from back in June.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...-you-deal-with-a-horse-like-this-so-stressful

I did an update a few weeks after but thought I'd do another one 6 months later. In an attempt to make his life a little more fun and interesting we started doing a bit more with the mare that he loves/trust the most.

At the end of that month we did our first fun ride! - 50 local riders raising money for a local cancer charity who supported the young show jumping organiser during her treatment.

Then we went to the beach - he was foot perfect, despite me panicking because I'd forgotten my whip, and convincing myself he was going to have a paddy! - not one paddy in sight.

We did another fun ride, a 10 miler this time, with a lot more horses, we went in a 3 and he was a little more excitable during this one, as we worked out he doesn't like things coming up behind him, so horses cantering past made his spin around to see what was going on! and we had an almighty rear at the start line, through impatience of waiting but we made it round in one piece :)

We then took a trip to Frensham ponds, which was awesome fun, so nice to ride in all the sand

Sept I took 2 weeks off work and my aim was to hack alone by the end of those 2 weeks and I actually did that the first day and we've not looked back since! we've been hacking around the farm on our own ever since!

About a month ago I put my brave pants on a attempted hacking around the roads alone, our yard is right on the corner of a country road which has a 60 mph limit, and this is where he's napped before!! he did nap but luckily the road was clear! I didn't give in and within a few minutes he gave in and left the yard and was perfect the whole way round, tried again 2 weeks later, he napped again but gave in after about 15 seconds this time, so progress I feel! again he was a total star :)

I've also been taking Thursday mornings off work for a few weeks and I've been taking him in the school, with the assistance of my yard manager! I did fall off 3 weeks ago, after he humped his back, and I lost my stirrup! he looked a bit shocked that I'd come off and when I got back on he didn't mess about again and since then he's been pretty good, backs off occasionally but soon goes forward again.

So anyway, yesterday we did our first dressage test, only at the yard but was the annual Christmas, fancy dress test and despite having the most difficult unco-operative horse on the yard, I manage to come 4th over all! so I couldn't be any more happy with him! what a great end to a challenging year! but feel like I'm finally getting there with him :)

Merry Christmas all, and thanks for reading - if you've made it this far

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Thanks all, really looking forward to 2017 now :)

Thanks Adorable Alice, that means a lot! especially when 2 years ago, I got off crying and was being told to sell him as I wasn't confident enough to ride him!!

AdorableAlice

Visit site

Thanks Adorable Alice, that means a lot! especially when 2 years ago, I got off crying and was being told to sell him as I wasn't confident enough to ride him!!

Karma is always best served cold. Take advice and use it to suit your own needs, never be intimidated. You are doing great by the look of those lovely pictures. He could have been a dead horse by now if you had not had the faith, skill and want to help him.

Micropony

Visit site
Well done you. It's these tricky ones that have the most to teach us, and who can give us the greatest satisfaction through the small things that others sometimes take for granted. Hope 2017 continues in the same vein for you both.

rachk89

Visit site

Well done. Sounds exactly like me I was getting off crying at times because of how my horse would behave. Glad you got your boy to change he looks like a lovely horse. :)

I really want to take part in a fun ride but they don't have any up here. :(

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Well done. Sounds exactly like me I was getting off crying at times because of how my horse would behave. Glad you got your boy to change he looks like a lovely horse. :)

I really want to take part in a fun ride but they don't have any up here. :(

He had a lot of pain issues that were causing his bad behaviour, as he was only 4, so its taken me 2 years to rehab him and to get him to realise that things don't hurt any more! so I think he's got his stubborn-ness from expecting things are going to hurt but once he realises that they don't he's brilliant. He will be a fab horse once he's experienced a bit more! looking to take him x country schooling next summer!

fun rides are good but quite hairy with the number of horses whizzing past! but good experience for them

rachk89

Visit site
He had a lot of pain issues that were causing his bad behaviour, as he was only 4, so its taken me 2 years to rehab him and to get him to realise that things don't hurt any more! so I think he's got his stubborn-ness from expecting things are going to hurt but once he realises that they don't he's brilliant. He will be a fab horse once he's experienced a bit more! looking to take him x country schooling next summer!

fun rides are good but quite hairy with the number of horses whizzing past! but good experience for them

Definitely but it's well done to you for not giving up on him. :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Karma is always best served cold. Take advice and use it to suit your own needs, never be intimidated. You are doing great by the look of those lovely pictures. He could have been a dead horse by now if you had not had the faith, skill and want to help him.

I think you are one of the wisest people I know.

JJS

Visit site
I've been following your story on here since he was a tricky four year old, and I honestly don't think anyone could have done a better job. I'm in absolute awe of your dedication, perseverance, and unwavering commitment to your gorgeous boy. You've earned all of those moments and more, so here's hoping that 2017 will bring even greater progress for the two of you :)

Last edited:

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've been following your story on here since he was a tricky four year old, and I honestly don't think anyone could have done a better job. I'm in absolute awe of your dedication, perseverance, and unwavering commitment to your gorgeous boy. You've earned all of those moments and more, so here's hoping that 2017 will bring even greater progress for the two of you :)

Oh that's soo lovely to hear, thank you so much for saying those kind things :)