how to apply bandages

lbubb

New User
Visit site
I've been looking on the internet into how to apply exercise and stable bandages. I find videos/explinations but then see comments from people saying how there doing it wrong. SO...How do you apply exercise AND stable bandages in the RIGHT way!!?!?

Links or personal explinations :)

Enfys

Visit site
Exercise bandages end above the fetlock joint, stable bandages above the coronet band, travel bandages (does anyone do that now?) Cover the heel.
Ex bandages should be sewn and taped, and are applied with somewhat more pressure for support than the others. all should be applied over some sort of padding eg gamgee.

It really is the sort of thing that is far easier to demonstrate than to describe. I am sure there will be clips to see, I learned years ago at pony club and the way I would do things is probably way out of date. :(

Littlelegs

Visit site
Best bet is actually getting someone to show you, preferably someone who bandages reasonably regularly (or has in the past) rather than a random person who once had a go.

Billabongchick

Visit site
I do polo fleece bandages for exercising and measure a cannon bone lengthed loose end before starting the wrap down. I leave this 'measured bandage end' hanging loose out the top at back of leg before i start bandaging down the leg to fetlock. The loose end then gets folded down (running either side along the tendon down to fetlock) and then you bandage back upwards over the whole lot to the top of leg again (making sure the flap lays flat with no creases). You end up with a tiny triangle flap sticking out the finished bandage above the tendon where you've folded the end down if that makes sense.

It stops them slipping down as helps the bandage grip, supports the tendon area and provides extra protection from over reach injuries. I bandage to just under the fetlock where the feathers/ergot are and never had a bandage slip or come off and you don't have to do them mega tight to keep them in place.