How to become a Course Builder

Helenabbey

Visit site
And by that I mean a person who builds SJ courses, not a brickie who swears a lot and is spelled differently!!!

I know a girl who has an obsessive love for building grids, courses, scary fences etc and is really interested. She has worked on SJ yards here and abroad which has fuelled her interest. What steps would she need to take to become a qualified course builder?

the watcher

Visit site
She could also volunteer at shows next summer as a course builder and showjumping judge, just to get herslf known locally..you would be surprised how much work and experience this can generate

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[quote
I don't think there are any qualifications as such, just needs lots of experience!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be wrong there.. i know nothing about it myself.. but a good firend of mine has just become one of the youngest 'qualified' BSJA course builders in the country.. he can build up to International Trial level, as long as first prize is under £500 (or something like that).. Anyway, there seems to be loads more qualifications he can take before he moves even further up the ladder!!

Also seems to be pretty well payed!! He said he charged anything from £80 - £200 for a days building, (and he's still bottom of the pile)

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Yes that would be Jamie.. you can now tell me if he's been feeding me a load of bull!?

I got so used to Paul and Jamies stories, that i never really believed any of them..
I do know he's the youngest qualified BSJA builder (now a designer? ie next level up).. as i read it in 'Equestrian Now'
smile.gif
haha