How to build a horses topline?

Mia._.0230

New User
Visit site
So I loan a horse who has a very poor topline and is quite a bit skinny despite getting fed twice a day and as I’m not the owner I have no control over his feed and I’m getting sick and tired of people always telling me how skinny he looks when there’s nothing I can really do any advice will be appreciated the horse is rising 6 in may so he’s still young but I’m really stressed as I want to help him but don’t know where to start

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Appreciate as loaner you don't have control, however ask the questions, has he been worm counted or wormed? When were his teeth last done? Is the hay a bale in the field that he can get access to or do more Dominant horses chase him away. Is he warm enough?
Proper top line comes from correct schooling as well as weight but he needs the fuel and to be able to process it.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Definitely get the nutrition right but for a full understanding of topline equitopiacenter.com has brilliant resources explaining it (a modern but classical/biomechnical.explanation) as well as groundwork etc to develop it, posture and correct movement is key. Holding the head down or driving the back end is not, despite popular thinking! There's muscle,.and there's correct muscle 🙂

onemoretime

Visit site
So I loan a horse who has a very poor topline and is quite a bit skinny despite getting fed twice a day and as I’m not the owner I have no control over his feed and I’m getting sick and tired of people always telling me how skinny he looks when there’s nothing I can really do any advice will be appreciated the horse is rising 6 in may so he’s still young but I’m really stressed as I want to help him but don’t know where to start
Correct work.

Jambarissa

Visit site
You can't build muscle without sufficient protein in the diet and it sounds like this horse is lacking.

If people are telling you he's thin he's probably quite bad, I find people don't dare say anything until they think it's bad.

Do you know how to condition score? There's a guide on the bhs if you Google. Or post a few pics leaving out identifying characteristics /head.

If he's too thin and owner isn't doing anything riding more will make it worse. Try to work with the owner but ultimately look for another loan rather than riding a horse who is unwell.

Mia._.0230

New User
Visit site
I had a look on bhs and he looks to be about 2 witch is moderate /lean but however he is slightly swayed back so that’s another reason people think he’s skinny aswell as a foal there where some complications with him getting ill and he dosent show any signs of being unhappy he’s a very willing and honest horse despite being young I don’t want to put any photos of him online though I hope you can respect my desision not to I’m just quite stressed and a different horse isn’t really in my circumstances at the minute

SEL

Visit site
I had a look on bhs and he looks to be about 2 witch is moderate /lean but however he is slightly swayed back so that’s another reason people think he’s skinny aswell as a foal there where some complications with him getting ill and he dosent show any signs of being unhappy he’s a very willing and honest horse despite being young I don’t want to put any photos of him online though I hope you can respect my desision not to I’m just quite stressed and a different horse isn’t really in my circumstances at the minute
I used to have one who would come out of winter too light, but once he was on spring grass he'd bounce back quickly. I'd probably back off riding until you're happy with the condition though and make sure he's wormed.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Putting a top line on a horse with a condition score of 2 is not going to happen… so you are either going to have to talk to the owner and get him on some decent grass and or food (nothing puts condition on a horse like spring grass in my experience- usually too much condition in my experience) but if he can’t have grass for whatever reason then more food is the answer … low sugar more protein: Once condition has improved then work long and low , hills, that kind of thing but if you do that sort of work without the food he will just get leaner and leaner

Mia._.0230

New User
Visit site
I used to have one who would come out of winter too light, but once he was on spring grass he'd bounce back quickly. I'd probably back off riding until you're happy with the condition though and make sure he's wormed.
Thank you this is probably the most helpful one so far as I had a look at videos of him from last summer and he was much better condition than at the minute and I have checked he is wormed and at the minute we’re doing some light groundwork x

Mia._.0230

New User
Visit site
Putting a top line on a horse with a condition score of 2 is not going to happen… so you are either going to have to talk to the owner and get him on some decent grass and or food (nothing puts condition on a horse like spring grass in my experience- usually too much condition in my experience) but if he can’t have grass for whatever reason then more food is the answer … low sugar more protein: Once condition has improved then work long and low , hills, that kind of thing but if you do that sort of work without the food he will just get leaner and leaner
Thank you and he has access to grass and hay 24/7 (he lives out 24/7 on a hill ) while getting fed morning and evening

SEL

Visit site
Thank you this is probably the most helpful one so far as I had a look at videos of him from last summer and he was much better condition than at the minute and I have checked he is wormed and at the minute we’re doing some light groundwork x
Do you know what he was wormed with? I ask because I have one with an ongoing tapeworm burden and his weight coming out of winter was lower than expected. Not all wormers are equal!

Birker2020

Visit site