How to cope with change

11bluewolf

Visit site
My share horse is moving to a different yard as I am going to university in October. I will still be able to ride him but it won't be the same as I love the yard and the people on it so much, and am so sad he is moving. and i know we will not get a space back on the yard once we move to new yard. I also just want whats best for him and don't think he will be ridden as much as he could be, although i know he will be well looked after and happy. Im so sad and have cried a lot about it and have had sleepless nights (e.g. right now) but obviously there is nothing i can do as i am going to uni!

does anyone have any tips with how to cope with change?

Last edited:

LHIS

Visit site
If you have made friends with people on your current yard then try and stay in touch with them, this will keep you in the loop and keep bridges intact for the future.
As for going to uni being the reason you're giving your horse up - this itself is a big change, for you - the going to uni bit! Your horse will be fine, and like you've said there isn't a lot you can do about it. The owner may get another sharer who will enjoy the horse as much as you do.
As for getting your horsey fix when you're at uni, join the equestrian society, try out for one of the squads if you want to and keep your hand in. You could always find a local riding school near your uni and have some lessons too. In your second year (I wouldn't recommend you do it in your first - in my experience you need to focus on getting into the swing of uni work, making friends etc) maybe see if you can find another share horse for when you're at uni.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Have fun at uni and work hard, it will go in a flash and if you want to make the best of it you need to focus on it. Part of life is making friends moving on and making new friends. The really special people stay with you though thick and thin, the rest disappear but that is life I'm afraid. Make lots of new friends at uni, try and find someone like me who needs their horses excerised to keep you sane. You can go home and visit when you need to. Plus remember it is possible to spend the whole of uni drunk! I've seen it......not good ;)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
The only way to cope with change is to experience it - lots of it - and then you realise that it is possible to cope. This change is more to do with powerlessness but its not the end of the world and you are about to embark on a great new adventure at Uni - concentrate on that and your fears and regrets about the share horse may lessen. Good luck.