How to cure a spoilt bratty horse!

Louby

Visit site
Time to get tough. Gonna hurt me more than him!!!
Any advice please on how to cure my spoilt brat of a horse.
I know Ive brought this on myself and Im really ashamed about it but having owned the most affectionate mare who loved cuddles and treats, I fell into the same trap with my new boy. That was three years ago and I now own a spoilt horse.
I walk to the stable and his ears are forward, get nearer and they are flat back, he mugs me for treats, has a strop if he doesnt get one. Backs up to me so I will itch his inner hind leg! basically has me over a barrel.
Ok so its no more treats but anything else I can do.
A very embarrassed should know better mum.

Skhosu

Visit site
LMAO. At least you know its wrong!
I would cut out all titibts etc.
Do you ride him:? If so, more exercise to get rid of his energy (worked wonders w/ a stroppy gelding I had, he never bit or threatened to after exercise).
Be firm with the boundarys, praise good behaviour, ignore bad (although any biting/kicking should be punished)
The usual really?

Sal_E

Visit site
Decide on the boundaries, i.e. what you consider acceptable & unacceptable & then STICK to them. Everything has to be black & white NO grey area (from you or anyone else who handles the horse). Use your voice primarily but you may need to give a tap if ypu're ignored. The horse must learn the words WAIT, BACK & NO (capitals to reflect FIRM voice!). Do NOT weaken, as this gives conflicting messages, for which you can't blame the horse to try to test the boundaries. Don't forget to growl - it always works!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Springy was spoilt and stroppy when I got her. You have to make everything black and white, right and wrong. So no titbits at all, use stroking etc to praise him and ignore stroppy behaviour. Don't give him an inch and be firm! As soon as he does the right thing praise him. I do regular "manners training" with Spring, where we do work in hand to get her to stop, move over and back up on command, this re-affirms my leadership and re-establishes the commands that I expect her to adhere to day to day. She is now much better and has learnt not to invade my personal space and is much more respectful and less pushy. She is tuned into my body language now so will move away or towards me without pressure on the headcollar or voice commands - it has certainly made handling her easier!
Good luck.

Louby

Visit site
Yes hes ridden and he does seem in a better mood afterwards. Hes been on light work for a few weeks due to an injury but tonight I thought enoughs enough. Hes even a brat in the field, bullying his best mate whos a lot bigger than him!
He can be lovely but thats when he forgets himself, then his muzzle all screws up and wrinkles near his nostrils LOL and hes horrid again. Never tried to bite me though just pulls evil faces. When I bought him the dealer said no treats, he was only a baby but she had the measure of him. I traced him back to his breeder who comes across as another me! Soft and over loving.
Only had mares really and theyve been so nice. Got a shock with my bratty boy but the awful thing is, Ive caused it!
Right tomorrow, no more treats.

spider

community.webshots.com
Never feed him treats from your hand. Put them on the floor and only use sparingly. Make him back up every time you enter the stable. If he backs into you or walks into you sideways make him move awayin the other direction sharply. basically decide what behaviour you want and insist on it, and never let it drop. If you feel too tired or ill too insist on a particular day it's better that someone else deals with him than you let him get away with things.

Louby

Visit site
Hes a different horse out of the stable , much better manerred. Its his mood in the stable, he doesnt drag me about or anything and is well behaved just an evil bu**** in the stable.
Its really hard as Ive caused this and he will think his throat is cut when the treats are removed. God Im too soft LOL

debonhorse

Visit site
Are you sure you arnt talking about my mare.
I have stopped all treats and have just bought her the Monty Roberts training headcollar, which I intend to start using on her tomorrow. (I have used this on/off for years and is great for on the ground schooling)
I usually have to muzzle her to groom, but from tomorrow, I will have someone else groom her while I start the schooling at the head end.(after a few backups/walk ons etc)
I agree, you have to be consistent, but it is hard when the owner of the horse dosnt like you discplining, he lives on site too. Today when I told him I am going to do more ground work schooling with her, the first thing he said is 'take some nuts with you to praise her' I was like OMG exactly what I have been trying to stop for the last 6 weeks and he is still doing it.
The only praise she will get is a pat on forehead and a good girl. NUTS I think he is NUTS!!! (well he is nearly 80 bless him)

BethH

Visit site
Had same problem with my 4year old when I bought him, a sweet little thing and I fell in to the treat trap. Agree with all of the above - definitely no treats from your hand, from the floor is fine and don't keep anything in your pockets as they smell them and try to walk over you.

I got some pressure halter training lessons from an instructor good with behaviour issues, as from being bargy with treats, he got bargy in hand and with my personal space. If he wanted to go to a different field with more grass he would try to speed up to get his shoulder ahead of me and then walk straight across me to barge me the other way and he also got in to the habit of eating anything he walked passed, grass verges, trees etc etc, all because he got used to treats. The pressure halter work was very good as you would wait for him to try the bad behaviour and by correct handling he has improved no end. I bought the monty roberts Dually pressure halter as felt it was better made than the string ones and made sure I understood how to use it properly as they can be dangerous if not put on properly. Even if Ryan tries to be difficult now I can stop and turn him effectively so i always win without having to pull him around or shout and scream, makes me feel much more in control

GTs

Visit site
Just remember the old saying - if the beating they deserves kills them, you are doing the lords work.

Dovorian

Visit site
I agre totally - if you are busy / rushed / not feeling up to it, whatever just get somebody else to deal with him who can be totally consistent. I saw an immediate turning point when my chap went into livery with a very competent and experienced person - made me wonder why I struggled!!

Parkranger

Visit site
GTS - you're very bad!

I think consistency is the key. I was getting rushed when I took haylage into the stable so I've stopped letting him grab a mouthful and will not let him anywhere near the net until I've tyed it up! He's also starting nipping when he gets excited so I don't feed him treats by hand anymore and he got bellowed at this morning - he ran to the back of the stable. Then he sheepishly came over and put his head on my shoulder....Woos!

elaineh

Visit site
No hand feeding. You need to teach horse to lead on loose rein. Groundwork. Never let horse back leg anywhere near you, too dangerous. I'd advise gettting an RA out who can show you some really useful exercises to teach horse boundaries and help you out at the beginning.

BethH

Visit site
You're so provocative GT's! The thing is if you need to beat them you end up showing up your own lack of self control which is pointless and it can just make the horse worse or kill it's personality. What is the point, whenever I have lost my temper and shouted, it just makes me feel incompetent afterwards and the horse doesn't care. If you learn to use his body language to move him around and do your ground work properly, he understands what you are asking and it saves the arguement in the first place, seems a lot easier to me and you have a nicer bond with your horse!