How to decide on which horse to sell?

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I have 3 lovely and promising 5 year olds for eventing and I have to sell one now as just cant afford nor have time for running 3 horses. None of them have done anything competition wise so I cant just choose the horse that is having the most success, anyway that would be an unfair way of judging them as all 3 have done very varying amounts of work and are at different stages. I dont feel I can really ask any trainers for their opinion as I dont think anybody would appreciate them for what they are& be quite able to see the end picture as to what kind of horse they will end up being...

How would I choose? I keep going round in circles as to which two horses will end up being the best ones.

I have-

Cult Hero X Ghareeb gelding. Lovely attitude and temperment, very very genuine. Spooky and stressy and heavy breathes a lot but always does what you ask of him would never question you. Fabolous straight paces and a very uphill ride. Feels very light, scopey and carefull over a fence.Slight lack of balance in canter but nothing bad.

Take it 2 the Limit mare. Just adore this mare and we have such a bond. Do feel that she has the biggest heart and would do anything for me. Massive paces but again lacks balance in canter but not bad for a green 5 year old that hasnt done much schooling. Having said that, she does flying changes every time we change slightly change bends while cantering down our wiggly canter tracks. Very bold, never spooky or silly or stressed which I love. Feels very scopey over a jump with plenty of power. Does not move straight in front ( dishes in front) but l think that her front legs straighten up when she is being asked to work properly.

TB mare- ex racehorse. Could be incredible she is just an amazing athlete. Has such good joints, good limbs, feet, and is so sound. Totally straight mover, Just floats in trot and can canter all day on the lunge and never break her rhythm. Amazing power over a fence and very carefull. So light on her feet. BUT has a history of napping badly but dont feel this is her fault as she went to a novice rider/home when she came out of racing, where she was pushed to the point where she didnt want to leave the yard or even walk around an arena. I have spent months longreining. lunging etc and generally rebuilding her muscles/mindset. She has now finally had a really good two weeks under saddle and seems to be going from strength to strength. But I'm just not fond of this horse in the slightest! She is perfectly sweet natured and easy to do, always has her ears pricked and is sweet but I just cannot feel any connection with her at all. I almost feel that she is a quite dim and simple. Maybe she is still shut down after racing and having such a hard time readjusting to her life out of the racing system? I do think that she is a horse that thrived on the regimented routine of a racing yard, and now that she is out of it, she still feels quite lost and insecure, and although she is doing the work asked of her now, she finds schooling/hacking/normal riding activities work is all quite alien to her still. Even tho its 14 months since she came out of racing. She is a quiet person and for me, lacks oomph,presence, character and intelligence. Simply there is no spark there. But wether this would come with time once she starts to build confidence in herself again and enjoys her job? Or wether she's going to be one of these horses that is happiest being in a secure and somewhat insitutionalised environment, such as a dressage or showing yard rather than trying to make her into an eventer? I just dont know, its one of these things that only time will tell..

So who to sell? Money is not an issue, its just moving one of them on to a good home. I would be gutted to sell the TB and see her doing amazingly well with someone else, she is like my special find! But equally I would be upset to sell one of the other two and for the TB to pack it in at some point during the line..

1t34

Visit site
I think it may be a question of which one will sell. In terms of saleability (sp?) the gelding will sell I would have thought, priced appropriately for his stage of education. The TB mare may be more difficult to sell as TBs out of racing just aren't selling that well. Sorry to be a bit cold and hard but I think you will struggle to sell the TB mare in the current market. Haven't commented on the other mare as you seem to want to keep her by the way you describe her.

Rosiefan

Visit site
I have to agree with Measles but is there no one you can trust to give you an honest opinion of which they think is the least likely to make it?
If this were Rosie's dilemma she would ask her dressage trainer in the first instance - mainly because that's the phase where her family lacks experience - but they would also listen to the SJ and XC trainers.
I don't envy you having to choose and R would definitely empathise with the feeling that you might be letting a gem go and will end up kicking yourself. Hope you get it right :).

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
You have to be excited about them or its not worth it all. You also have a lot of experience and so you should go on gut feeling. You have been out of eventing for a long time now and I would look for the horse who is going to be fun and make the job seem easy. Dishing does not worry me as long as they move fairly straight - Arthur throws a leg and its worse when he is unbalanced.

When was the last time you had a decent lesson? I would take all 3 and book in with someone good and ask what they see. There are loads of people with enough experience to tell you the truth.

SusieT

Visit site
Advertise all three at a 'good' price i.e that you would be happy to sell them at that-see whice on esells!

Countrychic

Visit site
If money isn't an object I'd spend time finding the tb a lovely home. If Money was an issue I'd sell the first because you seem to adore the 2nd horse so def wouldn't advertise her.

Bedlam

Visit site
I would also advertise all 3 at good prices and see what happens.

But I totally get what everyone else says about the ex-racer. If there's no connection then it seems that she's the logical one to sell. I think I would also put the effort in to getting them all out and about in the meantime to give them some 'form' as it were.

SO1

Visit site
If you are going soley on keeping the best potential eventers I would sell the gelding due to his heavy breathing. If he has a possible wind issue then he may struggle eventing. Respiratory problems are unusual in young horses but what may be heavy breathing now could develop into COPD later or make it harder for him to do fast work or hard work in the future.

From a heart point of view sell the TB as she is the one you do not have a connection with and if you don't enjoy working with her then that might hold her back and you as well.

madeleine1

Visit site
id not sell the first one. but then id sell the second one on the grounds it has the least prospects but then keep her on the grounds she is lovly.
id sell the third one on the grounds you dont like her and she would make the most money even though u said thats not an issue. but id keep her on the grounds you would get success from her. personally id be tempted to sell the third but to a really nice home and take the time to find someone you dont mind having success on her.

be positive

Visit site
I would try and sell the third to the right rider but with the attitude that if she does go on and do really well that you were a part of that success rather than being gutted about it.
I feel when selling anything that whatever they do in the future it is a reflection on what has been done in the past even if it is the next home that achieves it you have said that you lack time so let someone else finish what you have started.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
OK thanks everyone my thoughts are a lot clearer on this now, just writing everything down and hearing people's views has helped a lot! It has certainly made me realise that I couldnt part with the Take it 2 the limit mare. And I really love riding the gelding as well. Although that is an interesting point about his breathing- Im 99% sure that it is only when he is being stressy/spooky& that it is just him being a silly young horse, but you're right- that does need to be looked into!

I do feel some acceptance about moving the TB on and do feel humble enough now to let someone else reap the rewards of having her!

I will definately get a trainer to come and assess them all just to push my thoughts in the right direction but I'm pretty sure that it will be the TB mare that I sell.

Money from a sale is not important at all- more important is selling one horse so that I dont have a massive farrier/feed/competing/lessons bill every month..