How to Find the Right Sharer for a Horse that Prefers Competing?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
For Grey Mare...

She's not your every day sort of horse really.

I'd want some financial and time commitment. She's the sort of horse that has to bond with someone and have time spent with her, hence looking for a sharer.

D1 is okay with it all. Four years at Uni means that otherwise the horse is going to spend most of her time in the field, and at sixteen it seems a pity to not let her have some fun :)

The thing is, as she's not the easiest of horses to ride; we'd need to see any interested people ride other horses, which some might consider to be a tad cheeky! Would also need a disclaimer signed.

I make it sound like she's the devil incarnate! She's definitely not, just hot and, um, forward going. She can jump like a stag, but goes like an Exocet missile. However, showjumping really is her thing, she's not really keen on much else, though will do some reasonable flat work once she's into it. She safe to hack spookwise, but constantly on her toes and very joggy, though will relax if her rider can totally relax - she picks up on her rider's emotions. Definitely better ridden in the more classic style and does not like the rider to have niggly legs.

She'd have to stay at the yard she's at now and the person would have to have lessons with our instructor of choice (Dark Knight on here, and maybe PP if she's up for it).
Anyhoo, now I've made her sound like a hot potatoe, any suggestions as to how to find the right person?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Word of mouth? let everyone one horsey you know that your looking. Farriers, riding instructors and vets tend to know/talk to a lot of people and might be able to suggest someone.
Maybe put an advert up in local competition centres.

Foxford

Visit site
Sounds like you need to target someone already competing at BS? Why don't you head down to the nearest show centre and advertise there - hopefully that will filter out the numpties.

Penumbra

Visit site
I agree word of mouth is probably best.

Are there any universities or colleges near you where you could perhaps find someone with competitive ambitions who hasn't been able to bring their horse with them or given up their horse due to studying? The only problem with this might be you wanting a financial comitment, but it might be possible to work things out with the right person, especially if they would have the chance to compete.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with being asked to ride something a bit quieter first. However, would your daughter (or someone else) be around to ride the horse before any prospective sharers got on?

I'm sure for the right person this would be a really good arrangement, so good luck with finding the right person.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Blast! Just wrote a long reply and lost it.

Thank you. D is grumping about having four neds, none ridden. The financial contribution might shut him up :cool:. But I could probably get round it :)

Thank you :) I'll definitely ask Dark Knight to ride first if D1 not around. The mare is stroppy, argumentative, strong, and a sensitive soul, who bonds with her person, so only D1 rides her as a rule. She has a bit of a local reputation that tends to preceed her.

Really we need to see the person ride or know that they can and do ride a hot horse, simply because when GM gets going she can and will get up to Wall of Death speed quite quickly. She'll come back to the rider so long as the person is quiet and steady in their approach.

I make her sound awful or that one has to be Carl Hester ability to ride her! I don't mean it that wa: it's going to take me an age to write out any sort of ad... Hm. Will go with your recommendations instead and do the word of mouth and go watch some people :)

Last edited:

Sprig

Visit site
Good luck. Just a word of caution. Asking people to sign a disclaimer is pretty useless when it comes to the crunch and it can even be used against you, as evidence that you knew the horse may do something dangerous. I think it is very sensible to ask people to ride something else first. Don't be afraid not to let people get on her if you are not sure and do make sure you are well insured. Such a shame isn't it that you have to be so cautious about these things. I hope you find the right person.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ah. Thank you. That's a bobber...

She no longer rears or handstand bucks, or certainly hasn't for a couple of years, but she will go fast and she's not adverse to jumping whatever is in her way. She's so much better than she was and so long as one has a good seat, rides quietly and firmly, then she's great fun :). It's just making sure only the right person gets on her, which includes knowing what she can be like and being confident that they can handle her right.

The right person will have great fun competing her :)

Last edited:

TarrSteps

Visit site
Judging by what you have said on here, anyone sensible would run a mile! ;)

If you want to market the horse you have to say what you and the horse have to offer. Okay, you are offering a horse to ride, but you are expecting someone to pay for the privilege and, presumably, the cost of competing on top of that. It's kind of a buyer's market these days, what with so many owners needing a bit of help. If you come at people right off with a list of conditions and why you think they won't be good enough you will put them off - I understand that you have to cover yourself and of course you have to be honest, but, again, think of what YOU can offer.

What classes will she jump? What results does she have? What sort of transport arrangements are available? What sort of tuition is a available? Why should they pick her instead of another horse/situation?

Then, I hate to say it, but you will have to put up with sorting out the options. You probably won't get a string of good 1.20 riders in so you will have to vet the potentials but not exclude everyone automatically. I don't think the other horse thing is unreasonable and I would be suspicious of anyone who got the hump about it anyway.

Ideally, you want someone already known to you, perhaps another student of DK or a friend of a friend. Can you ask DK to ask around on your behalf? Perhaps pay for a lesson with him if you get someone promising. (Two clients of mine have done this recently, BEFORE setting anything up, as they want someone who will open to taking lessons, they wanted another option on the paring, and the wanted the potential owner to be able to discuss the horse's way of going etc with someone objective).

So, basically, accentuate the positive! No one is saying be less than scrupulously honest but if you market her as a "proper" competition horse I think you are LESS likely to get the sort of people who don't know what they are getting into.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Aye, that's sort of the rep she has :cool: Daft hoss :D

I completely hadn't thought about the people who need financial help with their horses, rather than just having a D who would like it.

Thinking about it, I think I'd been thinking about a mid-teen who'd just enjoy her and have some fun with her.

We have transport and would be happy to take them out and about.

She doesn't have a comp record - she was never big enough for her owner, then D1 had to learn to ride her, then she went lame, then D1 went to Uni.

Now I realise I hadn't given the financial side enough thought. It was more the Grey Mare having someone to spend time with her and being out and about. We'll never sell GM, she doesn't have to have a comp value for us, we don't have any ambitions for her height or comp wise, just want to see her eyes light up and someone to smile when they hear her name.

She's not a happy hacker, she's not an eventer, she likes to showjump and so long as the rider has guts, a good seat, and wants a partnership then she's blinking good at it :)

I will definitely give it all mire thought and figure how to word it properly :). I've asked DK and I'll ask the rest of the horse team to keep an ear out :)

Last edited:

titch

Visit site
Does it have to be a 'competition rider'? You said she likes competing, yet doesn't have a competition record. People may be put off that you're wanting a good rider to get a competition record, you'd usually have to pay for that not the other way around. There are lots of good riders out there who don't necessarily want to compete, so I wouldn't rule them out.

If a good rider is what you want contact your local unis, there's likely to be a good rider who has given up their horse, I'd say it's unlikely you'd get a decent financial contribution though.

How often would you expect them to have lessons with your instructor? Who would be responsible for paying? The costs could all mount up for the sharer.

Does your yard have good facilities?

I'm sure you'll come to a good arrangement with someone, but it doesn't sound like she's going to be the easiest horse to find a good sharer for. I agree with putting signs up at show centres and saddleries, as well as putting an advert on FB and tagging all horsey friends in it, word of mouth is going to be your best bet. Good luck.

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sorry, no BS comp record. Didn't do a lot with D1 due to things outside of horses. Everything else is too long ago now to be of much use now(?).

I think I'm giving the wrong impression, which means it's a good job I asked :). I definitely don't have any desire for her to have a competition record or a top notch comp rider.

I have a horse and no rider. She's well looked after, but D1 is hundreds of miles away and therefore the horse doesn't have some one to spend time with her.

The only thing she really likes doing is jumping and competing. She's a well known local horse and everyone who knows her thinks of showjumping when her name is mentioned.

She definitely isn't an easy ride, which means I have to be careful, but she enjoys getting out and about jumping and I know she enjoys it and is good at it :)

With regards to the lessons, DK is remarkably reasonably priced :). Depending on the circumstances of the person I may either pay for them or chip in.

Please don't think I want a comp rider and/or a comp record for this horse, I just want someone to have some fun with her, but bearing in mind that she's not a hack, doesn't like xc, and one has to work hard to get to decent flat work (it can be done and it is good :)), but she lights up when she jumps and when she is out and about :)

Hopefully that's clearer :) Flu has addled my brains this week!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think all people are saying is that, instead of coming on here and talking about rearing and lameness and needing the right rider and all sorts, you just need to adjust your own approach a bit as it will come out in your advertising and interactions with interested parties.

Something like.. ..

Established SJ mare for share. Forward going and not a novice ride or an all rounder so looking for experienced rider who would like a fun horse to jump at home or compete on. Stabled with experienced, reasonably priced professional available for lessons. Transport available if rider wants to compete. A really fun jumping horse for the right person! References available for horse and owner, would like the same for potential rider.

No fuss, no muss. :). Anything else you can discuss when people call.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thanks. That's why I asked on here. To make sure I was going about it all the right way.

Surprised about the reference to the rearing. I was trying to say that she's not a dangerous horse, as in a rearer, only for completeness she has done it in the past; but that she is a hot horse in terms of speed and sensitivity. Again for completeness she was lame for some time and that is something I'll have to be upfront about as we have no idea if it will come back.

I asked on here because I needed advice and guidance. The responses have been helpful and made me rethink what she (and we) needed. I realized I hadn't been clear and tried to reassure people that I wasn't looking for 'something for nothing' - I have a professional working on my horse and I pay him for to do so, so I'm fully aware of the difference, which obviously people wouldn't know, hence me trying to clarify the point. I do have to press the point about it being the right rider for all the reasons given, I couldn't just advertise her as a horse for share without ensuring the rider was right, for both the sake of the horse and the rider.

I like the advert you proposed, thank you :)

I'll let you know how we get on :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I know you're just trying to clarify things on here, but my point is how YOU see and talk about the situation is how other people will perceive it. There is a difference between being honest and leading with the minuses! The fact that she reared once, ages ago or that she was lame once for something that's not going to trouble her again is not stuff you want to open with because it's not germane to her current experience. Definitely discuss it but make sure you accentuate the positives first.

dieseldog

Visit site
I had a horse similar to yours that I had a sharer for, she never contributed any money, but she did pay for her own lessons. The lady was someone who my sister worked with. She started riding mine when I broke my arm, and just carried on until I decided to sell her. Mine wasn't as dangerous sounding as yours, but the only discipline she was any good at was Show Jumping and fine out hacking, she tolerated schooling.

Honestly, if you aren't worried about the money, and it could even end up costing you if you start paying for their lessons and taking them to shows why not leave her in the field for your daughter when she comes home from uni? She's 16, and you say above that you aren't sure she will stay sound so why not save her for your daughter? What is going to happen in the holidays when your daughter is home?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Gosh. I've made her sound worse than she is. She's not dangerous per se, so long as she's ridden right, she sensitive and fast. I shall have to be careful how I word it! Thank you :)

Aye, she could stay in the field. I guess I just feel that she should have a person to pay her some attention as she likes it, and she likes jumping, and she likes going to shows. D looks after her when I'm away, but he's not a horsey person. He free schools her and checks her over and oils her legs, etc., but I thought it would be nice for her to have an 'interested' person.

D1 probably won't be around much. She'll have lab things to do (all well over my head!). She'd probably like to ride a bit, but that would have to fit in with the person; we have other horses she could ride by the time Easter hols etc come round.

Maybe we'll try Tarrsteps' ad and see what the response is :). If nothing or not the right fit, then I guess she'll just have to put up with what I can do with her at the weekends :)

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you TarrSteps :)

I was perhaps offering too much background, etc. in my attempt to get my question over.

You're right, in the ad and when discussing, there needs to be the right line taken between being open and yet not making her sound like the devil incarnate!

She actually is a sweetie and enjoys a good groom, loads herself, is good with farrier, etc., so I shall dwell much more on her good points :) :)

lme

Visit site
When we needed a rider for our quirky just backed 4yo (who was definitely not a novice ride) we chose a local 6th former, who used the same trainer as us. She had outgrown and sold her event pony but didn't want to get a new horse as she intended to go to university. She didn't pay a financial contribution but did ride our mare 3 or 4 times a week and took her out competing. maybe something similar would suit grey mare. I'm sure there must be a local 6th former or student who would appreciate her for what she is.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
That sounds like an excellent solution :). Maybe our trainer will know of someone :)

I have videos, but have proved worse than useless at getting them on here or anywhere other than Photobucket. Will try again, but on the iPad, which I tend to find is even harder.

chaps89

Visit site
Just as a slight alternative suggestion- if it is a 1-2-1 thing you want for her and for her to have some attention, how about some-one just looking to spend some time with horses who isn't interested in riding but competent enough for you to trust them on the ground? Im not a fluffy bunny type and finding a rider seems by far the preferable option but this could maybe be another route to go down?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've seen plenty of teenagers who love jumping get on a horse like yours and have a whale of a time. They may not be the prettiest of riders but the horses seem to respond well to their lack of fear and youthful gymnastic abilities unlike sedate, risk averse, stiff mature adults. That's who I'd be looking for but it was easier on a big livery yard where they were all constantly horse swapping amongst themselves and other liveries.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
That's me these days! Totally risk adverse.

I'd love to see someone and her have some fun together :). We could stand back and admire the agility and sheer fun of it all, whilst sipping tea and straightening out our achey joints :)

daydreamer

Visit site
Just a few thoughts - how often were you wanting someone to come and ride her? I take it if she doesn't really hack then you have a school to use? Even so if she only really enjoys jumping that is quite tricky as a sharer as certainly I find it quite difficult to jump without a helper. That means making arrangements to ride when someone else is there which may/may not be easy and can make you feel like you are imposing.

I guess a lot of people like jumping more than me but coming and jumping say twice a week week in week out is quite a lot. So then you would have to have lessons and/or go out competing which would take more money and time.

Also if no-one else is riding the mare will she be fit enough to razz around jumping??

Like someone else says it does sound like she might be a teenagers horse but would they have the money/knowledge/commitment?

Erm, I didn't mean to end up sounding so negative, sorry!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Sounds like the sort of horse that would appeal to someone like me.
I would advise you not to set too many rules ie lessons with specified trainer etc and think carefully about how important a financial contribution is.
Judge each potential rider on their merits.
Riding / competing other folks horses is what I have done for the last 15 years. I've never had to pay a financial contibution but often would cover comp fees etc.
Recently tried to find a horse to school, compete etc but have given up as it seemed I just ended up spending all my time teaching the owner rather than schooling the horse.
If you happen to be in the northampon area then give me a shout.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I ha've the most wonderful sharer who used to ride Andy and now rides Louie. With Andy she was so quiet and kind when he was being a tit as getting after him made him worse. She's competed the pair of them a few times and I feel like I can really trust her.

They are out there but do know I'm incredibly lucky with mine.