How to freak out a stresshead horse!

Britestar

Visit site
All you have to do is change his bedding!

Stresshead horse changed from straw (which he's been on all his life) to shredded cardboard last night. His world has ended apparently. Couldn't lie down all night (usually in bed 50% of the time), had to pee on the edge of it and stand off it on the mats.

Its the simple things he can't cope with. When he was younger he didn't eat for 3 days, because I gave him a new bucket.

Good job I love him!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Poor lad :p The young Appy wouldn't eat her tea on Tuesday, because she was given a new bucket, fortunately she decided it was safe to eat from yesterday, hopefully he will grow to love his cardboard bed before the week is out :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Don't you love them .
Tatts was once completely overwhelmed because ..... I used a coloured saddle cloth not a white one .

catembi

Visit site
One of mine was one seriously freaked out...because I'd got new boots...???! He wasn't happy at all...kept smelling them & giving them distrustful looks!

T x

Sleipnir

Visit site
All I had to do was dye my hair with henna, and my boy followed me around all day, smelling them suspiciously.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
bought a stable mirror so she would have company...........doesn't like her on reflection! she is now on her own so to speak

edited it to sat she has friends just not a mirror anymore

smja

Visit site
One of ours is a little slow on the uptake...we added an extra bucket in his stable to prevent water flooding. Horse was fine for a couple of days (in the stable overnight), then noticed the addition and had a little freak out :D

okepunya

Visit site
bought a stable mirror so she would have company
g.png

where do you bought it?

dianchi

Visit site
Oh anything you think wont freaks my now 21yo ginger ninja out
Buckets in different place, hay in "wrong" place

But anything "standard scary" nope doesnt give a rats behind about :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The list is endless with what freak mine out, putting hay in a different place in the field caused snorting staring wide eyed then galloping off with tail up, one of mine want be caught if you have gloves on they obviously smell strange, one of mine only likes shavings if you put him on anything else he won't lie down, they spook at new salt licks, if you put a rain sheet on one of mine walking is not an option it's jog or sideways canter, Arabs you gotta love em:)

Sprat

Visit site
Mine gets freaked out when I have my hair down...

Usually tie it up at the yard, however went to get him in straight from work one day in full suit jacket etc and nice hair. He had a total meltdown :lol:

WandaMare

Visit site
My old pony wouldn't let me put on a new halter, he would turn his bum on me and shoot round the stable like I was trying to hurt him badly (the fact that I had owned him for 20 years and never hurt him once didn't seem to register) but if I put it on my other horse for less than a minute, he would sniff it and then it was fine. Same with new rugs, numnahs, anything that would touch him, they had to go on my other horse first. Also when the vet came he would do the same bum thing, but if I picked up his foot, even a hind when he had turned his bum on me, then he would let me put the halter on because 'we were doing feet' and that was OK apparently.....it was lucky I kept him all his life, he would have driven anyone else crazy :)

Visit site
My big chestnut lad has to have his feet picked out in a certain order. Off fore, hind, near hind, near fore. He has a thing about his near fore and he needs to know that you are trustworthy with the other feet before allowing you near the NF.

My wee racehorse that won today has to have his near fore leg stretched first, he will point blank refuse to pick up the off fore first.

Gotta love a thoroughbred!