How to get a horse past remembered pain?

ponyparty

Visit site
The saddle that came with my horse was poorly fitting (despite being reflocked by a saddler not long before!). It had made his back really sore, which I still feel guilty about not spotting sooner. He was telling me in every way he could, and because I thought the saddle couldn't POSSIBLY not fit him, I ignored him. I honestly will never forgive myself, and will never listen to other people above my horse again!

Anyway, his back is now completely better. I've sold that saddle, as the tree was completely the wrong shape and no amount of reflocking would have fixed that. I've been working him in-hand only since January.

There is a saddle fitter coming out to the yard at the end of this month, she'll have a few saddles with her and will even recommend brands that she doesn't stock. Due to his shape (high withered, but deceptively wide), and the fact that he'll no doubt change shape once he starts being ridden again, another livery suggested a Thorowgood with interchangeable gullet. She let me try hers on him last night, with a view to trying it on him when the saddle fitter comes out (she doesn't stock them) and getting her to check the fit.

The second he saw the saddle coming, he hollowed and put his ears back - this is before it got anywhere near him. He was expecting it to be painful, bless him :(

So - how can I get him past this remembered pain? Is it just a matter of putting a saddle on him, treating him/scratching him, then taking it off, and building up from there? Any tips?

LaurenBay

Visit site
In all honesty it will just take patience and time.

When my mare was hurting she became quite cold backed. Got her back sorted and for a while she would tremble as I mounted as I think she thought she would hurt. This went on for a couple of weeks but gradually got better and better until she was totally fine and herself again. I made more of a fuss of her when the saddle went on, I would put it on slightly earlier with a lose girth, continue grooming, tighten girth up a hole, continue grooming, sort stirrups, continue grooming etc. Just so she got desensitized to the saddle again

HeyMich

Visit site
Just try putting a saddle pad or numnah on on its own to start with, and reward him for standing calmly. Then put the saddle on top and reward. Then do girth up loosely and reward. All of this over a few days/weeks, but really slowly at his pace. If he stresses at any point, go back to basics and start again. Good luck, hope it improves soon!

ponyparty

Visit site
Thank you both.

I can start with saddle pad now, good idea; but until I have a saddle of my own... Feels a bit cheeky asking if I can use someone else's for training. So that might have to wait until I have my own again. That's OK though - no rush, we can take as long as we need to - just want my horse to be happy and comfortable!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the slowly-slowly approach is often a good one but make sure you don't end up making it more of an issue. Some horses respond better to a businesslike approach - not pushing him faster than he's ready but not over faffing. I think sometimes we (in general- not you OP) can create a problem by pussyfooting around a horse's reaction rather than showing them there is nothing to worry about. If you get him something that fits well, it's possible that if you confidently show him that it's a nice experience that you won't need to spend too long over it. Just a thought :)

Hallo2012

Visit site
the slowly-slowly approach is often a good one but make sure you don't end up making it more of an issue. Some horses respond better to a businesslike approach - not pushing him faster than he's ready but not over faffing. I think sometimes we (in general- not you OP) can create a problem by pussyfooting around a horse's reaction rather than showing them there is nothing to worry about. If you get him something that fits well, it's possible that if you confidently show him that it's a nice experience that you won't need to spend too long over it. Just a thought :)

agree with this, being too nicey nicey slowly slowly makes them suspicious!!!!

ponyparty

Visit site
Yes I do agree there - definitely not my intention to pussyfoot around. I'm going to go with workmanlike but reassuring, and give him a scratch or treat just to bolster the positive experience for him once the saddle pad/saddle is on and he is looking comfortable.
He's not daft, I'm sure with time he'll come to realise it's no longer hurting. This was the very first time he's had a saddle anywhere near him since the last time he had the badly fitting one on, so not surprising he was ready for it to hurt, poor fella.

SEL

Visit site
I've had this problem - also with saddles that I had regularly refitted by so-called professionals. I won't rant on your thread, but I could go on for pages!

My mare isn't shy in making her feelings known and is sharp with her back legs and her teeth. With her I did have to ask someone to hold her head and give her a scratch whilst I put the saddle on her back and did up the girth. I then left her in it for a while before taking her for a lunge. We did that for a couple of days before I got back on her. Lots of praise and reward when she was being nice and a 'NO' when she wasn't.

Yesterday she tacked up without killing me and also stood quietly by the mounting block for me to get on - its taken about a week. I don't actually think my temporary saddle is a great fit either, so we're only doing short sessions in it until I go for yet another round with a different saddler next week....

paddy555

Visit site
put his head in a bucket of nuts on the ground then put the saddle on loosely then lead around, remove and repeat a few times. He will learn to be saddled then get on the same way ie someone holding the bucket so he has to relax and breathe to eat.

ozpoz

Visit site
Some will never forget or forgive and to be fair, you can hardly blame them! Please don't ride her in a saddle that isn't a great fit, it's really not worth the damage that can be done.

ponyparty

Visit site
"Remembered pain" - or just actual pain?
In Bruce's case, the latter. Poor boy!
This advice may still come in useful when he is eventually fit to have a saddle on him again though, thanks all.

Goldenstar

Visit site
When you get a saddle that fits just saddle up tighten the girth gradually give the horse a mint lead it round the the yard .
Next day do the same the day after lunge then if you can lead him From another horse .
Gradually build up towards riding then when you get on make sure you always use a tall mounting block .
Just be calm and matter of fact about it.
Be prepared to get the saddle checked regularly I get mine checked monthly at times with horses that have had problems .
Don’t make this into a huge thing .

ponyparty

Visit site
Yep all makes sense! Won't be doing any of that for a while yet now though as there are some undiagnosed back issues still. X rays next week, if they're all clear then steroid injections/bute and lots of work in an equi ami to build his back up.