How to get rid of winter coat fast

flirtygerty

Visit site
I have two yaks, living out 24/7 (barn access) I have a chance of a show on the 22nd, anything I could do to start and hasten the shedding, or do people show in winter woolies, this will be my last chance to show these two, hence the desperation

flirtygerty

Visit site
Thanks all, I have a shedding blade which is great, the problem is, none of mine have started shedding yet, has anyone shown in a winter coat, they are in superb condition and shine even through the thick coat and mud

Enfys

Visit site
I would clip them :)

Take the lot off, but that's what I used to do at this time of year anyway.

Despite all the old wives tales it never ruined summer coats.

Meems

Visit site
Another vote for clipping the whole lot off. Apart from half the face which I always leave. Job done and over in an afternoon.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
LOL! Clipping is definitely a lot easier and quicker.

You can show in winter woolies though, most judges will realise that they will be faced with lots of fur at this stage of the year.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
if its for just the 1 show, then don't clip as you will be making SO much work for yourself in the weeks after, with rug changing.

I would do a good spruce up & then on the day lay the coat as best you can. A light rug on the night before to polish the coat will also help.

If you set about now with lots of shedding tools etc when they are not shedding much, you could well end up with a moth-eaten look, which is SO last year :D

kgj66

Visit site
Can you bring them it at night? I keep my horse with an American yard owner who said back home their horses were kept in lit stables 24/7 (with daily turnout!) and they rarely developed thick coats. Last year my horse had to be in at night due to injury from January-march and we tried this with the lights-she shed her coat very quickly! Not sure of any scientific reasoning but worked for me!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Bathing, rigging and elbow grease usually do the trick. I used to clip my boy out fully every March and rug well for the showing season. Last year he wasn't clipped and wasn't showijg and with me just grooming daily his summer coat wasn't through until end of May :rolleyes: