How to get stable staff killed or injured - water regulations

airedale

Visit site
Scenario - one large, strong and powerful newly castrated colt. Vet prescribes cold hosing affected part twice per day. Worker on their own with no help
Nowhere safe enough to tie a colt that would not break free or cause more injury. Safest place in stable with rubber mats using a hose.

Then comes along the water regulations inspector. You cannot use a hose. WHAT. Nope - no hose. Well then how do you hose this colt. Use a bucket (not sure if he meant chuck water at colt from safe distance or stand in head kicking zone and sponge affected parts) Either way the 'hosing' would be less effective and the risk to the handler much greater.

So - no hoses allowed. Gantry hoses but then you have to have a tie place that is suitable for the gantry and horses that aren't scared of it (and I've had one that wouldn't go near a gantry hose in 12 months so they do exist). PLUS the gantry hose cannot be fitted to that it can be disconnected from a tap - so if the gantry hose is fitted to where your current tap and hose are - and then the gantry hose freezes in cold winter weather - you are left with NO WATER FOR YOUR HORSES.

So that is a welfare issue for the horses.

Then there is the pressure tap - one that you can stand and hold down the top to fill a bucket - you can have lots of those - provided each has a non-return valve fitted as well - but it means you have to stand by the bucket and cannot do "2 things at once".

So you could have a header tank and carry on with your tap and hose. But the header tank has to have a pump or you'll get zilch in the way of water pressure....and we are told to switch off our TVs etc when on standby but are then told to fit an unnecessary water pump to regain the mains pressure we already had - so much for global warming

Then there is the issue of airgaps for field troughs and water drinkers. There must be an airgap of at least 2.5 inches between the water valve inlet and the surface of the water - not all drinkers do this - these will be 'condemned' and have to be replaced.

Each drinker or field trough has to have its own, individual, cut off valve NEXT TO the trough/drinker - immeditaly next to it - not 6 feet away !!! - failure to comply is enforcement action/fines

All field troughs can only be supplied by pipes dug 2ft 6in into the ground - nothing shallower and NO LAYING OF WATER PIPES ON GROUND SURFACE. Not only this - the water pipes up to the trouhg have to be insulated FROM 2FT 6IN BELOW GROUND up to the input to the trough.

If you want a 'temporary' water trough with surface pipes you have to apply to your water board for a 30/60/90 day license and at the end of htis period the supply must be disconnected. There will be a fee for this license. No hosepipes can be used to fill field troughs unless you have this license for temporary connection......

You cannot use a 'non-return valve' as this mechanical device is only permitted for category 3 risk properties and ALL stables are considered AUTOMATICALLY a category 5 risk - where only an 'air gap' is acceptable. Stables are classified the SAME RISK AS HOSPITALS

RachelB

Visit site
Christ that is going to cost a fortune, and all the hassle!
frown.gif

airedale

Visit site
forgot to add - if you have a washing machine at the stables that you use for bandages/numnahs/etc then that has to have all sorts of extra protection to stop 'effluent' from the washing water going back into the mains.......but ifyou take the same items to your own house and wash them there then you don't need any of the same protections.....yet stables are often isolated properties whilst normal houses are in close proximity to each other.

If you don't comply with their written requirements then you have 28 days to comply - after that there is enforcement and fines. So 28 days to find the money and get the work done - and there isn't any spare money in my case - unless someone wants a nice dressage yearling - nearly 2 ?!

but what grated with me is that stables are rated category 5 the same as chemical factories and hospitals with all the hospital bugs and body parts - ridiculous

WHEN will someone in the horse world DO something about this load of cowdung

dotty1

Visit site
Is this just new builds or are they going to be checking existing yards??. I have heard this as I know someone who isn't allowed ANY taps in his beautiful newly built stable yard..........madness

Fairynuff

Visit site
Who is the warped person who sat down and dreamt this nightmare up? Bet he hates horses or rather, the horsey people. This is ridiculous to the extreme. Italy has some daft laws but...!!!! Mairi.
crazy.gif

jinglejoys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Who is the warped person who sat down and dreamt this nightmare up? Bet he hates horses or rather, the horsey people. This is ridiculous to the extreme. Italy has some daft laws but...!!!! Mairi.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be mean! How on earth are they supposed to justify all the staff if they don't find something to do like thinking up daft ideas!!!
Like the ones that says we have to put any dead livestock/waste and eggs in a freezer at work then wait untill the knacker man has time to pick it up to cart it all the way down to the West Country from the Midlands to be incinerated(When before F&M the Farmer would've incinerated or buried it himself on virtually the same day) They call THAT bio security!!!!
confused.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I'm probably missing something here.. but i really can't believe that the water reg. people wont let you use a hose for veterinary reasons?!?!?!
confused.gif

And anyway, the last colt we had cut a few weeks ago, didn't need hosing!
confused.gif

airedale

Visit site
This is applicable to all yards - new and existing - and includes retrospective work to change anything that is currently there (which in my case has been there for 15 plus years and no-one has been ill !!) that doesn't correspond to their new rules.

Connect a hose to a mains fed tap and you are in big trouble.

This applies to everyone in any water authority area and to all stable yards - even those that are in my case residential and stables in the same building !!!

I've contactd CLA, Your Horse and sent a copy of the stuff in this posting to H&H as well

Gingernags

Visit site
So (and not wanting to gloat) as our field troughs and the tap in the stables are fed from a spring up in the hills and aren't connected to the mains, we're ok?

(We have a spare stable if you want the colt to stay and be hosed!!!)

It does sound like madness. Our field troughs are surface pipe fed and not insulated and we don't have any fancy header tanks and non return valves but as I said, not mains fed...

I guess we are lucky.