How to give horse people a bad name?

AmieeT

Visit site
I won't lie, at first I thought you were being quite aggressive to them (and that they were pig ignorant!)- but once you said that it was the FIFTH time it had happened I completely understood!!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I would be reporting them to the police and local authority, if they started getting fines for straying they might take a bit more care of their fences. OK I know accidents can happen - but five times - that's negligence not an accident. And if I were a livery there I would want to know about this so I could go somewhere else.

s4sugar

Visit site
Five different horses out. One in my haylage, still not been paid for damage, two on a busy road & two on my garden.

GirlFriday

Visit site
Was that your garden you were filming it grazing in OP?!? Had you called them to come collect?

I'd be *seriously* unimpressed if that was the way they were without some reason. I mean if you'd called them/threatened them with reporting or whatever first I can see that they might not want to engage on camera in what might turn into a row but to just walk in/out like that straight off - wow!

s4sugar

Visit site
My garden.
I hadn't had chance to call them but the one on there last week they did the same, came & fetched without saying anything when my 81 year old Mum was inside.
That is the livery yard owner & I believe one of the staff.

Damnation

Visit site
My garden.
I hadn't had chance to call them but the one on there last week they did the same, came & fetched without saying anything when my 81 year old Mum was inside.
That is the livery yard owner & I believe one of the staff.

Report it to the police? I am pretty sure they can't just walk onto your property like that to begin with!

Merlod

Visit site
Ooooh that pony would have been chained and locked to a fence until i got an apology!!! RUDE!!!

Please don’t take it out on the pony, it doesn’t know that is should stay behind poor fencing. Also it may belong to a livery and I know how awful it is to have a lazy YO who never fixes fences (my horse went missing for 3 days, in the end I moved but it’s easier said than done finding a new yard sometimes). The YO needs to be held responsible and sort out the fencing.

indiat

Visit site
If I was paying a livery yard board and my animal was getting out onto the road constantly I would go insane! They need reporting, an animal or a person is going to get hurt, eventually.

rascal

Visit site
We all know accidents can happen and horses get out, but after 5 times i would be pretty annoyed with them as well. What do they have for fencing, string? I would have a word with your local police. If you get no joy, maybe the BHS could give you some ideas. Clearly not a bhs approved yard.
Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:

Antw23uk

Visit site
Please don’t take it out on the pony, it doesn’t know that is should stay behind poor fencing. Also it may belong to a livery and I know how awful it is to have a lazy YO who never fixes fences (my horse went missing for 3 days, in the end I moved but it’s easier said than done finding a new yard sometimes). The YO needs to be held responsible and sort out the fencing.

Wind ya neck in, I wasnt implying anything of the sort. Jeez .. always one!

Llewellyn

Visit site
Is there anywhere you can put it (eg an out of sight stable) until someone turns up with proof of ownership (passport) to retrieve it?
Hopefully it would mean the YO would have to contact the horse owner to get hold of it.
Because I really don't feel you can just let someone walk off with property you don't know to be theirs ;-) that would be a police matter.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I can't believe that I really don't know what to say to be honest, I think if it were me if it happens again I would hide the horse that way you would think they would knock and then they would have to speak you would think anyway. well a normal person would!

Damnation

Visit site
Call BHS Legal and see where you stand?

If it was me, I would be going spare. I would not be allowing them to march into my garden without my permission. For my permission they have to state why they are there. I wouldn't be making it easy.

You also have pictures of the horse at your hayledge don't you? I'd be going down the avenue of suing if they are not being forthcoming in replacing/refunding the damage.

Fjord

Visit site
How rude! I actually can't believe they had the gall to walk onto your property and ignore you like that.

Llewellyn

Visit site
Speaking to the non horsey OH he's suggested seeing if its microchipped or freeze marked and getting the owners contact details directly and calling them to let them know their horse is loose. I think my big worry is she's not telling the owners this is happening. Even more annoying she seems to have a gate at the end of her drive. Why hasn't she shut it if ponies are escaping left right and centre.
Sorry for two replies but I'm raging on your behalf.

Dubsie

Visit site
If they have a gate at the end of their drive, I'd be nipping out and shutting it as often as I could, and especially at the times the owners might rock up (just to be annoying, but to keep them in). And put a big note on it, Please Keep Gate Shut, Horses Keep Getting Out - should alert the owners lol!

Can you run a piece of electric fence from your hedge to the house to stop them getting in the garden? Make it someone else's problem?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
They've just had the 5th horse escape & they collect it, completely ignore the owner of the land it's found on, walk it back to their yard & don't bother shutting the gate behind them? They've learned a lot haven't they.....bloody marvellous!

chillipup

Visit site
Ooooh that pony would have been chained and locked to a fence until i got an apology!!! RUDE!!!

Good grief. Clearly you don't want to have the pony on your lawn, but they can't just march in and retrieve it - doesn't anyone have any manners these days?

How rude! I actually can't believe they had the gall to walk onto your property and ignore you like that.

Me either, so incredibly rude!!

Omg how incredibly rude!! I can't believe they just ignored you like that. Actually awkward to watch..

This ^^ I'd be tempted to put the pony in my secure yard/stable. I would at least expect an explanation as to why I have yet another stray pony on my property. How extremely rude of the people who collected it. If it were mine I'd be begging their forgiveness and thanking them for looking after it.

little_critter

Visit site
If they have a gate at the end of their drive, I'd be nipping out and shutting it as often as I could, and especially at the times the owners might rock up (just to be annoying, but to keep them in). And put a big note on it, Please Keep Gate Shut, Horses Keep Getting Out - should alert the owners lol!

Can you run a piece of electric fence from your hedge to the house to stop them getting in the garden? Make it someone else's problem?

I was going to say that. Looks like a good sturdy gate. I'd be a Good Samaritan and keep shutting it for them. ��

mytwofriends

Visit site
Appalling. I think you were remarkably polite, OP. How dare they march onto your property and totally blank you, irrelevant of the circumstances.

Shantara

Visit site
As the owner of an escape artist, I know how frustrating and embarrassing it is to have to go and collect your horse AGAIN, despite having a 6ft fence and a hedge around the field. Thankfully he's not done it for ages.
However, if he did do it again and ended up in someone's garden, I would be apologising like mad! I can't believe how rude they are!!