How to handle?

Casey76

Visit site
I’ve never sold a horse before, as it’s fallen through right at the last gasp twice, so I’m feeling a bit paranoid!

I have three people coming to see Blitz next week (Wed, Thur and Sat). Do I let all 3 view, or do I accept the first offer (if there is one) and inform the others after, or do,I accept an offer and still let others view in case the first falls through?

I have enough stress at the moment without needing to worry about this too.

ihatework

Visit site
You keep all 3 bookings and see what happens. If you get & accept a good offer and think the match is right and they book a vetting immediately then you would postpone any later viewings. But until a vetting is booked, or a deposit is received, keep showing the horse.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I wouldn't cancel any viewings unless one of them gives you cash in hand. I'd let the others know if there was an offer on the horse.

rara007

Visit site
As above! First come first served- be open that you have other viewers and if a vetting is booked or you agree an offer let the others know but keep them informed.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have got myself into SUCH a muddle with this - agreeing to let the first viewer have first refusal, but then having that viewing delayed, viewers agreeing a sale and so me cancelling viewings then being strung along and and let down.... Poeple wanting 2nd viewings and me putting off first viewings to allow this etc So harsh though it is I would now never take a horse off the market without a non refundable deposit.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Keep all bookings for now, once someone says they are having the horse and pays a deposit then cancel whatever bookings are left. I would also say the vetting and purchase should be within 7 days.

If there is an issue you could extend that time period at your discretion.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I’m buying at the moment, I make sure that the viewing includes all I wanted to do so I didn’t have to do 2nd. I have agreed with the seller I have first refusal but she’ll show the horse today to other potential buyers. I want my chiro to have look at the videos & she’s away till tomorrow. I have agreed a price and said I’d want to vet this coming week if possible & collect next weekend pending what chiro & vet say. That way seller not too disadvantaged if I don’t go ahead.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I’m buying at the moment, I make sure that the viewing includes all I wanted to do so I didn’t have to do 2nd. I have agreed with the seller I have first refusal but she’ll show the horse today to other potential buyers. I want my chiro to have look at the videos & she’s away till tomorrow. I have agreed a price and said I’d want to vet this coming week if possible & collect next weekend pending what chiro & vet say. That way seller not too disadvantaged if I don’t go ahead.

I would not do either side of this. As a buyer I always make sure that

1. The horse is still for sale when I set off (and they are still expecting me).
2. If I set off I have 1st refusal when I get there (I won't travel if someone else is on the way, besides I like to ride the horse fresh).
3. If I like the horse I put a deposit down and that means it is off the market and no one else views the horse. I usually agree what the horse will be doing prior to vetting too, as I don't want to waste a vetting fee if the horse is either locked in the stable for days or runs its legs off hunting the day before vetting.

As a seller I would not show the horse to anyone if they were not free to offer to buy at the purchase price if they liked it. This is subject to them being a suitable owner. After a mix up where 2 people did view on the same day, I make sure we only have one viewing a day too. That is for the horse's benefit but also so someone does not drive 4 hours to view only to see the deal being done with the previous viewer.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Are those other viewers aware that the horse may not be available! If not, that is very inconsiderate of the seller and I would never do that. I also suspect if a viewer turned up with cash you'd lose the sale.

When I was looking for the horse who eventually became Amber I went to view one. It was very local and I quite liked the horse bur was not 100% about him. I had the deposit in my car ready and I was mulling over it with my friend. I hopped out to ask a couple more questions and the seller then said 'if you want the horse you better secure him now because he is under offer - I am waiting for the buyer to get back to me when she has got quotes from transportation companies. But no money has changed hands so you can have him if you want him'.

I walked away immediately as either she was lying to pressure me into a sale or she was breaking an agreement with another buyer and I won't work with people who aren't trustworthy. If they aren't honest about one things what else are they not honest about!

Incidentally that horse stayed for sale for a long time after that. The 'buyer' either never existed or walked away too.

When I am selling the horse stays available for viewing and for sale until someone puts a deposit down. I won't delay other viewings either to give people first refusal though if people ask to know if someone else is viewing before them will tell them.

Last edited: