How to know if pony is too small?

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I'm going to view a pony soon that sounds pretty much perfect for me other than potentially the height. She is 14hh and I usually ride 14.2hh+. She is a stocky cob type so might look/feel bigger ridden. I'm 5' 6", I guess the only way to really know is to actually ride the horse but I'm just wondering if anyone on here who is a similar height to me rides smaller ponies?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am 5ft 5 and i once rode my friends 14 hand show pony type in a prize giving as my horse was in the trailer ready to go home and i didnt realise that i had been placed:). i was really worried but she didnt feel at all small and seemed very comfortable with a bigger person on her so you cant tell until you sit on.. assume you have a friend going with you so get her to take some pics and video so you will be able to see how you look as well as how you feel. good luck

PSD

Visit site
Best thing to do is view and see how you feel. I’m 5ft 3 so a tad smaller but I have a 13.2 section c and don’t look or feel big on him at all. A lot of people prefer larger horses and feel better on them, but you don’t know until you try!

Miss_Millie

Visit site
i am 5ft 5 and i once rode my friends 14 hand show pony type in a prize giving as my horse was in the trailer ready to go home and i didnt realise that i had been placed:). i was really worried but she didnt feel at all small and seemed very comfortable with a bigger person on her so you cant tell until you sit on.. assume you have a friend going with you so get her to take some pics and video so you will be able to see how you look as well as how you feel. good luck

Yes I'll be taking a friend with me, photographs is a good idea :)

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Best thing to do is view and see how you feel. I’m 5ft 3 so a tad smaller but I have a 13.2 section c and don’t look or feel big on him at all. A lot of people prefer larger horses and feel better on them, but you don’t know until you try!

That is helpful to know, thank you. I was looking at photos of horses I've rode in the past and I look tiny on a 15.3hh, I'm very slim and petite. I look pretty much in proportion on a 14.2hh so there isn't a huge amount of different a couple of inches smaller but I'll have to see. I generally prefer ponies over horses :)

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I’m just under 5’6 and I could easily ride my 13.1/2 haffie . (But she’s 30 ?) she maybe didn’t take up my leg so well but I couldn’t put leg on her anyway. ?
Definitely go see her and see how you feel when riding. There was a good thread asking people what size horses they ride. Give it a read. It was great.

Going to go and have a look now!

Melody Grey

Visit site
I wouldn’t worry so much what you look like as whether you feel you can balance.

I’m a slim 5ft 6 and horse in profile pic is 15hh on tiptoes. OH’s 14.2 cob is a chunk and takes up the leg so I don’t feel big on him either. It’s easier to mount from the floor and do gates, so I like the smaller types!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
That is helpful to know, thank you. I was looking at photos of horses I've rode in the past and I look tiny on a 15.3hh, I'm very slim and petite. I look pretty much in proportion on a 14.2hh so there isn't a huge amount of different a couple of inches smaller but I'll have to see. I generally prefer ponies over horses :)
In that case go for it!

I'm Dun

Visit site
It really does depend. I had two 14.2hhs. One rides big and I have no issues, the other didnt. She was small and short necked. Very much a pony shape. I fell off her a LOT! There was just nothing in front of me. In the end I admitted defeat and sold her. I previously had a 14hand pony who rode like he was 16hands. It was always a shock to get off and find the ground so close.

You can usually tell by looking at a decent stood up photo as to how they will feel. Its something I am a lot more aware of now having previously thought I'd be fine on anything 14hands and up.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
It really does depend. I had two 14.2hhs. One rides big and I have no issues, the other didnt. She was small and short necked. Very much a pony shape. I fell off her a LOT! There was just nothing in front of me. In the end I admitted defeat and sold her. I previously had a 14hand pony who rode like he was 16hands. It was always a shock to get off and find the ground so close.

You can usually tell by looking at a decent stood up photo as to how they will feel. Its something I am a lot more aware of now having previously thought I'd be fine on anything 14hands and up.

That is good advice :) I think it will be hard to tell until I see her in person.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I'm 5'3 & Dave is 13hh & a smidge.

80407086_10158332810474739_6492689459929153536_n.jpg

Lois Lame

Visit site
I'm going to view a pony soon that sounds pretty much perfect for me other than potentially the height. She is 14hh and I usually ride 14.2hh+. She is a stocky cob type so might look/feel bigger ridden. I'm 5' 6", I guess the only way to really know is to actually ride the horse but I'm just wondering if anyone on here who is a similar height to me rides smaller ponies?

I'm about 5'6" and once had a 14.1hh stocky pony with decent withers and I didn't find him too small. Sadly we only had him for 2 years. He was the best educated horse we ever had. Correctly trained and an excellent temperament and totally unspoilt.

huskydamage

Visit site
I'm 5ft6/7 and have a 14hh pony and and 15.3horse. I have had the pony years, hunted her done endurance, all sorts. Never had an issue but I do look stupid on her compared to my horse. I tend to ride with my stirrups shorter and have dodgy knees so not very comfortable. I've had one or two bitchy comments from people over the years, so depends how bothered you are about that 'aesthetic' stuff. The pony won't care obviously!

Cutgrass

Visit site
It totally depends on how much leg they take up and how much bone they have. I ride a 13.2 who I don't feel too big on at all but also a much finer 14hh who I feel slightly too big on. I'm not when you take my weight and hers into account, but it's interesting that it's not their height that makes the difference.

anehta

Visit site
I tend to ride more ponies (13hh) than horses and I’ve never felt too big. Though I have felt very very small on 16hh. So long as you feel alright riding them I’d say go for it and have fun.