how to learn a dressage test...

Olliedog

Visit site
who hasn't done this...
grin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-itUuaqD-jE

kerrylou123

Visit site
lol, i've done that, but obviosuly without the half pass, pirouette etc, because were not that good, and probably never will be!
I tend to draw myself out an arena and draw the movement around the arena, and say what i need to do, but its not a very good way! i always need a caller anyway as i have a memory of a fish!

filly190

Visit site
I hold a card with the dressage markers on it, then bit by bit learn the test by running my finger along the card in the direction and say to myself what I am doing (walk etc).

I then walk the test in my lounge. By doing it on foot, imprints in it your head very well. I learn the pattern of the test and the paces and then I have a couple of trial runs on the horse. As you know if you keep doing the same test with your horse, they will anticipate it and know it better than you, so its not a good thing.

I have been taught the old pony club way, but not being allowed callers, I personally would not feel comfortable with someone calling the text, I would probably be so worried that I could'nt hear them etc etc that I would forget to ride.

I recently did a text the first in years and all I could think about was remembering the text, although i knew it back to front, I forgot to put everything into my riding and got fourth last in a really big class.

To my horror, my friend was watching and there were a group of nasty bitches saying nasty things about me in everyone's earshot. My mare is 20 and very stiff I felt lucky to get there as she is now just a pleasure hack and its was my first text in about as many years.

It has'nt put me off, what's important is taking part and the more you do, your confidence will grow. People do all sorts of things to learn tests, some dont bother and have a caller.

My advice is just enjoy your day, sod everyone around you, dont expect too much and each time, aim to make your own personal improvement.

Good luck