How to look smart...(schooling/lessons/clinics)

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I tend to ride in whatever I happen to grab first which sometimes means jeans, sometimes leggings and even sometimes some old jodhs! I'd love to be one of these people who look put together, especially as I'll be taking my youngster out to a lot of clinics and lessons this winter, so would prefer not to look a mess!

What do you guys wear? I'm not into garish colours (apart from occasional matchy on the horse, just none for me!) So looking for neutral colours.

Nothing mega money please, I'm not rich (my horses eat all my money)

!CobsCan!

Visit site
Krämer equestrian disome very nice neutral baselayers. I have a lovely navy fleece lined one that I LOVE. They are all around the £20 mark but lovely quality

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Black cotton lycra £13 eBay jods and navy £8 eBay polycotton Rugby shirts.

Live in them ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I'm quite pleased with my Decathlon jods. I think I paid 25ish for black waterproof ones, and originally got another pair for 35 but they were too small so I excchanged them for two pairs which were in the sale (a navy and a khaki pair) and still got about 7 quid refunded back to me.

I've started trawling charity shops for good finds which I like doing anyway. Currently keeping an eye out for generic sportswear tops. Found a nice long sleeved turtle neck top for 3 or 5 quid the other day, a muted berry colour rather than neon coloured like sportswear can sometimes be! Not worn it yet as I didn't realise it's fleece lined, but will be great in the winter. It's not super smart but definitely a step up from just chucking on whatever old t-shirt or jumper I can find!

wiglet

Visit site
My favourite brand is Pikeur they are expensive but, they last and are so smart looking and comfortable. I have a few pairs now but all of them have been bought for bargain prices in sales or even secondhand on eBay.

I’ve only had the displeasure of riding in jeans once - the seams rubbed me raw. Leggings (unless they’re ones designed for riding) don’t offer much protection from being rubbed or pinched by the stirrup leathers and they go rather transparent when you bend over!!

I team my breeches with a polo shirt - long or short sleeves depending on the weather or indoor or outdoor arena. This is topped off with a gilet (you can keep your keys etc in the pockets). These items aren’t expensive or branded and can be purchased from sports shops or even Primark.

BSL2

Visit site
Doesn't have to be expensive. Just co-ordinate. I love my breathable navy polo shirts. If nippy, white long sleeved breathable top underneath. Navy non slip jods/tights/breeches. Navy charles owen hat. Brown ariat boots. Brown pimple gloves or navy. Horse has brown tack and boots. With navy saddle cloth. If you ignore the white grease marks the grey hairs that stick to everything, strands of hay, mud, and dust we look ok...?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We have a vast collection of matchy, complete with coordinating pikeur tops and breeches as I have this warped idea that looking smart and coordinated will positively impact upon my riding ?

That said, I love the regatta outlet for coordinated tops on the cheap, and have managed to pick up high end breeches on fb marketplace for around £30 so you don’t necessarily have to spend a fortune to get a clinic worthy outfit.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Haha, FestiveFuzz I think I'm trying to go for the same all the gear no idea delusion!

Going to look up some of these brands and buy a couple of outfits I think. As long as they're boring colours, hopefully I can do some swapping around.

Think I'm most scruffy on my top half. Regularly wear my boyfriend's hoodies to the yard!

Dexter

Visit site
Breeches and a base layer with a gilet. I match my base layer and hat silk to the horses saddle cloth and boots/ears etc. It makes you look instantly smarter if things are the same colour or at least tones. The base layer and gilet works well as you stay warm but dont over heat when working hard. I dont like coats as I always have to take them off 10mins in and its just a faff.

humblepie

Visit site
Harry Hall have some nice breeches and tops at good prices. I just make sure clean and relatively tidy. Horse just wears day to day boots and whatever saddle cloth is on duty as it were.

Lammy

Visit site
Think I'm most scruffy on my top half. Regularly wear my boyfriend's hoodies to the yard!

I was the same probably up until last year when I started having lessons and thought I better actually try to not look like I’ve just come home from a bender and grabbed whatever I could find.

I have 4 pairs of decent jodhpurs/riding leggings with sticky bums. Neutral colours mainly, navy, brown, grey and a dark purple pair for something different. I’ve got a few joules polos I wear mainly for at home/for hacking and just match the top colour to a pair of leggings. Then for clinics/lessons I have a couple of baselayers for when it’s nippy, again, grey (pikeur one was £13!), Ariat navy (again sale bargain) and then a few light cotton t-shirts from half halt equestrian that look plenty smart enough if it’s warm. I don’t claim to be the smartest looking person around but I think I look somewhat put together.

Add a couple of gilets that will go with the clothes you have and a decent riding coat and you’re good to go! Use sales and build your wardrobe slowly, the good stuff will last you a long time. (Though i still wear my fluffy primark leggings in the depths of winter because who cares about fashion when it’s freezing!!)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Down below, either Shires Saddlehuggers or Pfeiff jodhs, and when the cold weather comes a pair of reproduction "elephant ear" breeches.

Up top, a Ralph Lauren long sleeved shirt over a plain white V neck cotton T shirt.

Boots are either Decathlon rubber boots or Soubirac leather boots.

conniegirl

Visit site
For lessons I wear:
Aldi jods in either navy or grey.
fitted polo shirt, fitted rugby shirt or if cold i have some thermal fitted ski tshirts.
Brown leather Gloves
Hat and my hair in a bun at tge nape of my neck.

I find anything to loose make you look scruffy, as does hair flying all over the place.

M&M&G

Visit site
I have 4 pairs of decent jodhpurs/riding leggings with sticky bums. Neutral colours mainly, navy, brown, grey and a dark purple pair for something different. I’ve got a few joules polos I wear mainly for at home/for hacking and just match the top colour to a pair of leggings. Then for clinics/lessons I have a couple of baselayers for when it’s nippy, again, grey (pikeur one was £13!), Ariat navy (again sale bargain) and then a few light cotton t-shirts from half halt equestrian that look plenty smart enough if it’s warm. I don’t claim to be the smartest looking person around but I think I look somewhat put together.

Add a couple of gilets that will go with the clothes you have and a decent riding coat and you’re good to go! Use sales and build your wardrobe slowly, the good stuff will last you a long time. (Though i still wear my fluffy primark leggings in the depths of winter because who cares about fashion when it’s freezing!!)[/QUOTE]

I do similar, everything I buy (good makes in sale plus cheaper layers eg long sleeved t-shirts) in either navy blue or navy, including saddle cloths - it's then easy to be coordinated, even if not completely matchy!

daydreamer

Visit site
I’d be interested to know if there is anyone reading this that teaches/runs clinics etc and if they notice what people are wearing and judge them on it??

I’d like to think as long as you turn up with a clean horse and rider, well fitting tack and a good attitude you are good to go!

Auslander

Visit site
I’d be interested to know if there is anyone reading this that teaches/runs clinics etc and if they notice what people are wearing and judge them on it??

I’d like to think as long as you turn up with a clean horse and rider, well fitting tack and a good attitude you are good to go!
I teach, and prefer my clients to wear close-ish fitting clothing and long boots or half chaps, so that I can easily see what their bodies are doing. If people want to go full on matchy, that's fine, but all I care about is that they are dressed appropriately for me to be able to do my job

tatty_v

Visit site
My problem is I try and look smart but by the time I put my BP on and a gilet on top (so I’ve got a pocket for keys!) I look like a Michelin man ?

I recently accidentally matched a L&L equestrian top (lovely quality) with a new PE saddlecloth and liked the look, so now I’m after more matchy recommendations, but for saddlepad and riding tops as we don’t wear ears or bandages - any suggestions?

Fjord

Visit site
I recently accidentally matched a L&L equestrian top (lovely quality) with a new PE saddlecloth and liked the look, so now I’m after more matchy recommendations, but for saddlepad and riding tops as we don’t wear ears or bandages - any suggestions?

Legacy Equestrian do some nice polo shirts in colours that match some of the Le Mieux saddle cloths. Not too expensive either.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I get my base layers from sports direct, (they also have some that will match my horses matchy which is a bonus) they’re usually about £10.
Riding leggings or I buy breeches in the sale rail. I used to ride in jeans but they’d get wrecked after a few weeks.