How to make horsey friends in a new city? (London)

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
Apologies for the slightly pathetic sounding thread title ;) Posting here rather than London forum because half of the questions are much more general.

I've started riding again late last year after 8 years out of the horsey world (I'm almost 27). I'm also from the US, so found meeting horsey people, finding a horse share, etc where I live now difficult because I have no connections and most of my references are very out of date. After a couple months search I've now landed a super nice part-loan four days/week with an amazing horse, amazing instructor and a really great yard. I'm absolutely in love with it. The problem? I'm moving away (to London) in late August, so I know my days of equine bliss are limited. I'm a planner (that's an understatement), so am already trying to look ahead at where I could live, ride, etc. My partner's job (the reason we're moving) will be in East London so we've been looking at Isle of Dogs, Lewisham, and Stratford, but St John's Wood/Swiss Cottage/South Hampstead area is also a faint possibility. I'm getting a bit bummed out because it seems like all the yards are far away and I see more posts on Facebook groups for people searching for horse shares than horses being shared out. I currently commute 30min each way to the yard and have a car, so I'm not opposed to a bit of a commute, but from what I can tell that's low end in London. I know most horse shares are organized between people who know each other though so am not sure how to break into the "scene." I'm finishing grad school at the moment so will also be working from home for at least another year and a half, which also means I won't be meeting anyone (horsey or not) through work. I'll (hopefully) start working after the grad degree and will then have more financial flexibility (maybe buying a horse... *wink wink*) but am worried about the time before then.

So I guess after that longwinded explanation, here are my questions:

1) When you move to a new area, don't own a horse, and don't have bundles of money, how do you go about meeting horse people and building friendships? I really miss having friends who ride, who I can chat to for hours about horse things, hack out with etc. My poor boyfriend is getting inundated with so much horse chatter.
2) Any suggestions on which of the areas I mentioned are best placed for yards so I am more likely to find a horse share?
3) Would trying to work or volunteer at a yard be a good way to meet people? I'm hesitant to volunteer because I don't want to be taken advantage of. If I'm learning lots sure, happy to volunteer, but don't really want to just be someone's free labor (tell me if that's unreasonable). I used to volunteer at yards when I was younger (and work at them on and off, and will be a paid instructor for some beginner classes at my current yard soon), but I'm older now and my time is more valuable to me (if not to others ;)) because my grad stipend snugly covers living expenses and I often need to work side gigs to make sure I have money to spend on riding lessons/horse share.
4) Suggestions on how to find a horse share in London when you don't know anyone and what type of price range to expect for an allrounder above 15.2 (I'm 5'10) for 2+ days a week?
5) How to make friends in general when you work from home and the world is recovering from a pandemic...

I really want to be excited about this move (and am), but half of me is really bummed about losing my perfect horse share and nervous about having to work from home in a new city. I am excited about getting to live in a proper city though :D

stormox

Visit site
Ive lived on the Isle of Dogs and Mudchute there has a riding svhool with a lovely arena and Mudchute park to ride in.
Theres also riding schools in Epping Forest - easy access up M11 - High Beech is one I have been to.

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
Ive lived on the Isle of Dogs and Mudchute there has a riding svhool with a lovely arena and Mudchute park to ride in.
Theres also riding schools in Epping Forest - easy access up M11 - High Beech is one I have been to.
Mudchute has come up on my searches, glad to hear they come recommended! I hadn't seen High Beech yet, will check it out!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
High Beech is nice I worked there many years ago there are also some nice livery yards in the area for a potential share, woodlands is really lovely there is also barnfields riding school and woodredon near Epping.

teapot

Visit site
Try https://ridinglondon.com/

A lot of the yards they use are open to the public, the exceptions being the King's Troop and the Household Cavalry.

You've got Trent Park and Lea Valley in north London, both on the tube; a couple of options to the south in Ham or Wimbledon too. Not sure re North East. If you're still at uni, have you thought about joining your university riding club? I did as an undergrad and postgrad for both riding and polo, was great and a lot cheaper!

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
Try https://ridinglondon.com/

A lot of the yards they use are open to the public, the exceptions being the King's Troop and the Household Cavalry.

You've got Trent Park and Lea Valley in north London, both on the tube; a couple of options to the south in Ham or Wimbledon too. Not sure re North East. If you're still at uni, have you thought about joining your university riding club? I did as an undergrad and postgrad for both riding and polo, was great and a lot cheaper!

Riding London is a fab suggestion, especially since they do social events as well!

The riding team for the uni where I'm at (grad student so not actually sure if I would be allowed on the team) is where I currently live, unfortunately over an hour and a half from London so that's not an option.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've been in that situation. I took up riding again in London, started at riding schools, moved on to a share, got my own horse first in North West London, moved out to West Herts and have been moving gradually East. Currently in East Herts.

Where you find your horsey fix depends where you end up but you will find somewhere wherever you go.

There are some yards on the edges of London, a few round Mill Hill in the NW, Trent Park in Cockfosters and Lea Valley in the East. The last 2 are big equestrian centres and very expensive but that also means that people are sometimes looking for sharers to help with the cost.

You've had some good suggestions out towards Epping and Essex.

If you end up going West to Hampstead or Swiss Cottage then there used to be a couple near Stanmore, I'm out of touch with round there. Or you could go up the M1 quite quickly to Borehamwood, Radlett, Shenley There are lots of lovely yards round there and good hacking.

Or straight North up towards Crews Hill and northern bits of Enfield.

For shares I've seen quite a few recently on Facebook so they are out there. Hertfordshire Horse Riders, Hertfordshire Horses and North London Horse riders and good pages to start and hopefully someone can suggest the Essex equivalents. Put your own wanted advert on.

It depends on how competent you are as well. If you can ride independently and well, you will probably find yourself in demand. Especially if you can be trusted to do things like bring in and turn out without needing help. A lot of the share wanted ads are of the I have been learning to ride and can walk, trot and canter variety and people don't want to have to supervise a novice.

If you are at Grad school does that mean you could do a weekday day time? Always a big plus for an owner.

In terms of meeting people, find out when other people are at the yard. Some are deserted during the day but have a post work rush hour which may suit if you are doing evenings. Others have more people not working who are there during the day but no one after 5pm. Can be a little lonely on a dark November evening if you are the only one there.

Pricewise depends on the yard and what you are doing in the way of chores. They may want you to muck out on your days or it may be a smart full livery yard where everything is done. But anything from £50 pcm as a token payment and some chores to £200 pcm at a very posh yard riding a few days a week. A lot of people may say the higher price is a lot but round London is expensive and there are people charging that and getting it.

A longer drive to get to the right yard isn't too bad when you are doing it a couple of times a week however once you get your own you may be trying to persuade your other half that they want to live further out. Not yet though, subject to everything opening up, you really want take advantage of London life at this point in your life. Plenty of time to move to the country later.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I lived in Hampstead, worked in Central London and kept my horse in Totteridge/Mill Hill London. One of the best yards in Mill Hill is Mote End Farm as it has 250 acres of private hacking and two outdoor arenas. You may well find a horse to share up there (The horses are kept on full livery) and if you need some introductions I can do that for you. Driving time from Hampstead to Mill Hill is about 20 - 30 minutes when you know the short cuts. Best of luck.

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
For shares I've seen quite a few recently on Facebook so they are out there. Hertfordshire Horse Riders, Hertfordshire Horses and North London Horse riders and good pages to start and hopefully someone can suggest the Essex equivalents. Put your own wanted advert on.

It depends on how competent you are as well. If you can ride independently and well, you will probably find yourself in demand. Especially if you can be trusted to do things like bring in and turn out without needing help. A lot of the share wanted ads are of the I have been learning to ride and can walk, trot and canter variety and people don't want to have to supervise a novice.

If you are at Grad school does that mean you could do a weekday day time? Always a big plus for an owner.

Thank you for all the great info and suggestions! I will definitely look up the FB groups you suggested. If anyone out there knows similar Facebook groups for Essex/East London or SE Bromley/Bexley area I would love recommendations!

Semi-related, what are the top horse-related events, big competitions, etc that happen near London that are fun to attend as a spectator?

You're right about my flexible schedule and I'm hoping that will help. I'm competent doing yard work/handling and am a competent rider. I would say I'm currently at the point where I won't make a horse worse, have soft hands, I get it to do proper work in a schooling session, I don't overface it, I understand the scales of training, can sit some bucks/bolts/etc, and am happy hacking on my own (assuming the horse is relatively OK with traffic). But I would say I won't necessarily be massively improving the horse either if that makes sense? I can do basic lateral work, jump a course (well, we'll see once we are allowed to jump again in a couple weeks ;)), but for example I've found that I never properly learned how to get a horse on the bit when I was younger so am having to relearn things. My instructor rates me as "definitely not a novice" but I'm sure someone looking for a sharer for a high-strung competition horse might feel differently. I'm sure I'll also improve quite a bit between now and August with the amount of riding/lessons I'm doing. I'll put out some wanted adverts on FB in August and keep my fingers crossed. I'm thinking worst case I'll take a weekly lesson somewhere until I can find something.

@PeterNatt Thanks so much for the info about Totteridge/Mill Hill. If I end up living on that side of London I'll be in touch as I would love some introductions if I'm struggling to find something :)

Karran

Visit site
Hiii!!
I'm in Greenwich! (Just over the river from isle of dogs/next door to Lewisham!)
I can also put a word in for mudchute!
I currently part loan out near Gravesend which is a 40 min drive away. You'll find lots of little yards dotted around bexley/Wilmington way moving further out. Kent chit chat and tack and Kent equestrian grapevine might be worth joining on Facebook or PM me if you want nearer time. I'm on a big yard and often people are looking for sharers.

Also as for events, hickstead isn't too bad to get too and in central london we have Olympia! It's not Christmas until I go there!

mariew

Visit site
I used to live in South London/Surrey borders and travel down to Ripley/Cobham 4 times per week or so. Then I had my horse in Banstead where there are a few nice yards. I'd say you need a car for this though and it's not the area where you are looking. If you are going to live relatively central in London it isn't going to be overly easy to do work, commute and horses with any time to spare. London life kind of devours time. Some good recommendations above though :)

Littlebear

Visit site
I never live as far into East London as Stratford but my friend did and had a horse at Lee Valley, I visited a few times and seems like a great place to go and meet people as they do lessons, plus there is a little bit of hacking down by the river and some of the owners there had sharers so i guess if you were there riding you may get in that way, most people use the local facebook page for connections so you may find that helpful also to connect, someone suggested a few but Essex horse riders has 2 very big groups.
She seemed to bike most of the journeys around that way but not sure if that's your thing or not.

Suechoccy

Visit site
If you end up in East London, both Mudchute and Lea Valley are good riding schools. If you want a share, then investigate Enfield/Epping areas as gorgeous Epping Forst and Hainault Forest to ride in. Several livery yards (Southend Farm near Waltham Abbey is a big one). I used to have a share at Southend Farm and spent many happy hours hacking in Epping Forest from there.
All depends if you've got independent transport or are reliant on tube train or bicycle too.
Check out horsey facebook groups in that area if you're on facebook too.
Epping Forest Riders Association may be a good start, they have a facebook page too and a website.
Welcome to the Big City! (I lived there for around 25 years, in and around East London/west Essex).

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
Hiii!!
I'm in Greenwich! (Just over the river from isle of dogs/next door to Lewisham!)
I currently part loan out near Gravesend which is a 40 min drive away. You'll find lots of little yards dotted around bexley/Wilmington way moving further out. Kent chit chat and tack and Kent equestrian grapevine might be worth joining on Facebook or PM me if you want nearer time. I'm on a big yard and often people are looking for sharers.

Also as for events, hickstead isn't too bad to get too and in central london we have Olympia! It's not Christmas until I go there!

I've actually been looking at Greenwich a bit as well! Great to know there are some options around. I found the Kent Equestrian Grapevine group but haven't been able to find the Kent Chit Chat and Tack facebook group. Thanks, will message when the time is nearer!

I have been watching youtube videos about Olympia and it looks amazing! Fingers crossed I'll get to experience it this year :)

VioletStripe

Visit site
Hiii!!

I would second the looking further out from Bexley and the likes! I know nearly every livery yard in the SE London / Kent borders and can't say I recommend many at all. Bexley in particular, and even the yards around Eynsford/Farnham area weren't great (in fact, one was terrible) - I would continue looking out past Meopham if I were you.

But, welcome to London! I have recently left, after growing up in South East London and keeping a horse while there, before moving to central for university and keeping my horse in Mill Hill (I can second Mote End - absolutely wonderful place and there are always owners looking for a loan. They are very social there, too!).

There is a fab group I've heard of called London Riding Club which might be a good way to get in. Other than that, I would definitely snoop around once you know where you might be living. There are some great yards further out in Kent which would be great if you are in SE London, or shooting up to Essex is a good option (though I can't say I know any of the yards there)

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
I would second the looking further out from Bexley and the likes! I know nearly every livery yard in the SE London / Kent borders and can't say I recommend many at all. Bexley in particular, and even the yards around Eynsford/Farnham area weren't great (in fact, one was terrible) - I would continue looking out past Meopham if I were you.

But, welcome to London! I have recently left, after growing up in South East London and keeping a horse while there, before moving to central for university and keeping my horse in Mill Hill (I can second Mote End - absolutely wonderful place and there are always owners looking for a loan. They are very social there, too!).

There is a fab group I've heard of called London Riding Club which might be a good way to get in. Other than that, I would definitely snoop around once you know where you might be living. There are some great yards further out in Kent which would be great if you are in SE London, or shooting up to Essex is a good option (though I can't say I know any of the yards there)

Do you mind saying a bit more about your reservations about the Bexley/SE London yards (over PM if you prefer of course). Is there not much turnout, too many horses for the turnout available, etc? I'm thinking of looking for a flat in the Bromely-By-Bow area so I'll be well placed by several of the motorways that could take me out Epping/Romford/Upminster way or south towards some of the yards in the SE. Have had my eye on Woodlands Stables up near Chingford as they look amazing

pixie27

Visit site
Hi! Welcome to London!

I moved here about a year ago (just before lockdown - excellent timing) and posted a not-so-dissimilar post to yours a month or so ago.

I'm on the very west of the city so I can't offer much help/advice in terms of areas to look etc., but I would second joining some Facebook groups and putting up a few horse share/loan wanted ads. I tried lessons/volunteering at a riding school but it was very kid-oriented and felt like a lot of money to spend to not really enjoy it or learn anything. Having a car with you should make things easier, but understandably not always the easiest to do in the city.

Once you're here and if lockdown continues to lift - I'd be more than happy to meet up for a coffee & horse chat (my boyfriend is at breaking point I believe). I desperately miss horses and it'd be nice to have a non-work, non-boyfriend pal too!

VioletStripe

Visit site
Can't speak for Violetstripe, but I found the majority of bexley yards to be overstocked and not brilliant in terms of turnout.

This. Most of the yards in SE are desperately over-grazed, with very limited turnout - which I and my horse do not tolerate. A lot of the yards don't turnout if there's even been a light shower overnight.

On top of this, a few of the yards aren't well run - management will cut corners anywhere, and can be very nasty to deal with. I don't have really anything positive to say about any of the yards that I experienced in that area, which was around Bexley and then further out towards Swanley/Eynsford.

EchoInterrupted

Visit site
Hi! Welcome to London!

I moved here about a year ago (just before lockdown - excellent timing) and posted a not-so-dissimilar post to yours a month or so ago.

I'm on the very west of the city so I can't offer much help/advice in terms of areas to look etc., but I would second joining some Facebook groups and putting up a few horse share/loan wanted ads. I tried lessons/volunteering at a riding school but it was very kid-oriented and felt like a lot of money to spend to not really enjoy it or learn anything. Having a car with you should make things easier, but understandably not always the easiest to do in the city.

Once you're here and if lockdown continues to lift - I'd be more than happy to meet up for a coffee & horse chat (my boyfriend is at breaking point I believe). I desperately miss horses and it'd be nice to have a non-work, non-boyfriend pal too!

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking maybe volunteering at Mudchute might be nice - all the volunteers are at minimum over 16 and I imagine there's probably a lot of people in their 20s/early 30s who volunteer there and are in similar position (not able to have their own horse at the moment). Definitely happy to meet up for coffee once I'm in London :)