How to make the leap between...

Jane H

community.webshots.com
Jumping at home and at a competition?

My 5 YO and I like to have a bash at jumping, and we both enjoy it and are willing but the trouble is that neither of us is particularly confident. So it takes ages to get our 'groove' when we're jumping a course at home i.e. things are pretty all over the place for the first few goes and every time something new is introduced it takes a while because I haven't got 100% confidence to give HIM the confidence to jump something new first time. once we get our groove things are usually great and he jumps in a lovely rythm.

The thing is I don't see how we can make the leap
laugh.gif
from where we are now to going somewhere and jumping a course of jumps because they will all be different jumps, and there's usually only one practice jump which won't really be enough for us, even if we go down to a really low height (only really jumping 2ft 6 to 2 ft 9 max now..)?? Does anyone have experience/tips they can share with us?

Thanks!!!
grin.gif
Jane x

Claireg9

Visit site
yes was going to say that, also some will allow you to take a trainer in and help you out if needed, once you have him going round nice you could always try the first small class!
But if you get eliminated because theres a scary filler dont be put off, just go back another week and try again, they wont improve unless you get them out there.
One thing we did to try to stop horse being scared o fillers was get him to jump everything at home he was a baby too, we laid newzeland rugs over poles, put umbrellas up on the wings (Not on windy day) flags on wings, cones under jumps, flashing torches by wings, sit a squashy dummy under fence, flowers, you name it we tried it, at first horse was scared but after a while he got used to it and never looked at a thing out at a show!
Good lcuk x

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Go and do lots of clear rounds at as many different places as possible. Then when you have both got more confident (which some horses get really quickly when they start shows) you can do a class. Take as much time as you need,you're in no hurry! Slowly Slowly catchy monkey!!!
grin.gif

Jane H

community.webshots.com
Thanks for the response.. I was just totally distracted by your user name - how hilarous! I laughed out loud when the e-mail dropped in!!! Is there a fatarse1??

Thanks again!

Jx

Parkranger

Visit site
We'll be in the same position soon but are lucky that there's a clear round show just up the road every Thursday. They start at 1'9" so I can trot around that haa haa

Frazer

Visit site
Go and do loads of clear rounds, maybe if you dont want to do this, just go up to a show on your horse to get used to the atmosphere and see the others horses jump and the jumps they use. Then they next week go up and try it. You can only try, hope you do well