How to make trailer less attractive?!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I remember feeling like this when we got our brand new 510 eighteen years ago. My dad made us remove all the wheels and leave it on logs between uses! It was an absolute pain! One day we got sick of it and decided to just trust the hitch lock and wheel locks. It’s still here.

About two years ago we had it converted into a gorgeous coffee kiosk. I was worried sick again about it being nicked. It sits on our land in a prominent place with hitch and wheel locks. It’s been fine (admittedly it’s in a v awkward place to get a car in front of it). In fact nowadays we’ve actually lost the keys to the locks. We need a good burglar to get them off!

claracanter

Visit site
I have smart watered my trailer and also hidden an apple AirTag in it. One stolen near us was recently located using an air tag. I have also stuck lots of silly stickers on it ‘Are we nearly there yet?’ and that sort of thing to make it very personal to me so it can be easily identified or the marks where the stickers were if they remove them. We had a number of trailers stolen in our area in the last year but so far mine is still here. All the trailers stolen were Ifor Williams

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I have smart watered my trailer and also hidden an apple AirTag in it. One stolen near us was recently located using an air tag. I have also stuck lots of silly stickers on it ‘Are we nearly there yet?’ and that sort of thing to make it very personal to me so it can be easily identified or the marks where the stickers were if they remove them. We had a number of trailers stolen in our area in the last year but so far mine is still here. All the trailers stolen were Ifor Williams
Ah good shout about the tag, I think that's a really good idea, thank you!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I have a hitch lock, clamp & a sticker on the back to saying 'POLICE! If moving between 10pm & 5am please pull over!'
Otherwise I haven't done anything else - not my land to put in ground anchors etc.
If they want it, they'll take it no matter what. So I'd rather that & claim off my insurance than they trash it & leave me a messed up trailer by trying & failing - as has happened to a friend!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ensure you have CCTV signs clearly visible? I think these put people off. We have CCTV and signs dotted around. Also suggest putting a unique big decal on the sides and back - like your horses names etc. (something personal rather than generic so its easily identifiable if it did get driven off).

rextherobber

Visit site
I remember feeling like this when we got our brand new 510 eighteen years ago. My dad made us remove all the wheels and leave it on logs between uses! It was an absolute pain! One day we got sick of it and decided to just trust the hitch lock and wheel locks. It’s still here.

About two years ago we had it converted into a gorgeous coffee kiosk. I was worried sick again about it being nicked. It sits on our land in a prominent place with hitch and wheel locks. It’s been fine (admittedly it’s in a v awkward place to get a car in front of it). In fact nowadays we’ve actually lost the keys to the locks. We need a good burglar to get them off!
I lost the keys to mine, it took my husband under 60 seconds with a rusty hacksaw to get the hitchlock off - bit of an eye opener!

sunnyone

Visit site
Can you fit a GPS' tracker? It needs to be somewhere almost invisible bit equally not too difficult to get at so that you can recharge the battery occasionally.
A friend has one on their canal boat, it regularly reports that it's gone into the local school playground which is on the other side of the towpath but one day it reported being in the next village at a restaurant! Rather than drive for 3 hours to check, they phoned the marina and asked for a visual site check. All was well but one of the staff had been adjusting its lines to cope with expected bad weather. Still good to know that it had somebody very close "messing around".