How to manage one horse on 2 acres?

viceversa

Visit site
Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice again!
I started renting a 2.2 acre paddock a few weeks ago, I currently only have one horse although there's potential to add another in future, and I'm wondering how I'm best to split / manage the paddock.
I've fenced off a bit for parking and I've got a stable on there so that probably leaves 2 acres grazing.
I've split it into roughly half, then split one half into 2 quarters, he was on one qtr for the first fortnight then I've moved him onto the other quarter which he's been on a week and a half. The first bit was by no means bare when I moved him off it but it was noticeable compared to the other parts.
He wasn't getting any grass at previous yard so has put some weight on. He looks good at the minute but I don't want him putting any more on. His work has been limited due to recovering from injury but I'm now able to up the work which should help.
I've had the farrier this morning and he says the horse is fine as he is but I should be careful when the grass comes through so he doesn't get laminitis. He's not had it before but it's obviously something I want to avoid!!
The trouble is I now have the ungrazed half of the field where the grass is growing and I'm now worried to put him on it as I don't want him to get fatter. We can take a cut of hay each year but I don't know if there's anyone who could do this who isn't fully booked up. I could also maybe borrow a horse for a while to eat the grass before mine goes on it.
Our neighbour left half her field last year and let it become 'standing hay' - would it be safe to do that and put him on it in the winter when it's less nutritious? But if I leave it from now till winter surely it will be too long?
What I want to avoid is having to buy lots of hay in the winter as there's plenty of land to see me through, it's just knowing how best to manage it!
Open to any ideas please! :)

Rollin

Visit site
I would have two 0.5 acre for summer grazing, move every 6 weeks. Keep the other half for winter. laminitis could be a problem but if you over graze you will have 'stressed grass' which can also be a problem and you will spend hours and money recovering the grazing. You could also run a narrow strip around the outside of your paddock or strip graze.

viceversa

Visit site
Haha :p well yes I think that is the most likely outcome but I'm exploring all options! So would I just leave the whole acre then when it comes to winter slowly move the fence across so he gets it bit by bit?

meleeka

Visit site
Get another one, they'll be happier together.

I have a track round the edge through the summer months, then when winter comes I move the fence each day so they eventually end up with all the field. The middle is rested all summer so it works well and I don't need to feed as much hay in Autumn as everyone else. A track is great for their waistlines too.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yep get another horse. Horses shouldn't be kept on their own unless there is a specific welfare reason such as they just don't get on with other horses (rare but occasionally happens, often due to solitary confinement in the past).

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To answer the 'shall I leave the other half', yes you can.
You can either strip graze it using it from a smaller bare paddock, or leave it till November+ & strip it instead of haying at night :)

OWLIE185

Visit site
Leave him in the electric fenced paddock and I would simply slightly move the electric fence posts each day if he needs more grass. Make sure that you pick up the poos each day and worm count regularly remembering that emerging small encysted red worms do not show up on worm counts so worm for them twice a year irrespective. Don't put him in the un-grazed section keep that for Winter.

canteron

Visit site
The trouble with standing grass is that if it gets trampled it can stop the air getting to the roots and then you get sour grass.

If you really can't get anyone to top it your best bet is a track round the outside and then in the winter move the fence a bit each day so it can be eaten but not trampled.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd put a track round and use the middle with good grass cover in winter. It's what we have done, no issues with sour grass and the foggage stops poaching.

Achinghips

Visit site
Here's what I would do. Split into two one acre paddocks, one for winter, one for summer.
Take summer paddock, split it into two again and rotate each side, fortnightly during summertime.
In winter let out on full winter acre, bring in at night or in heavy persistent rain, to save ground.
Before changing from winter to summer or vice versa, Harrow and/or scarify. Overseed summer paddock in September, winter paddock in spring.
Get a soil analysis so you know what additional elements may be needed, but put a salt lick or mineral lick out in field

Yes to the standing hay it will protect the ground too. after one or two winters it may then need some fertiliser, what type would depend on your soil analysis. I use a 16.4.4 mix

Last edited:

Rupertthebear

Visit site
Dont be precious about grass you are taking through the Winter, use it. It wont grow back but it will quickly deteriorate. Feed hay if needed and protect it from becoming too trodden. In the spring pop a few sheep on, they are fab creatures for pasture! They manage the grass for you and you get lamb come late summer/autumn! Agree with mineral lick, and pay attention to the soil/grass quality, be prepared to muck spread and re-seed if it gets too awful :)